Author Topic: Ron Ehlert .45 Iron Mounted LR  (Read 1928 times)

Offline Bob Gerard

• Powder Horns and Such
Ron Ehlert .45 Iron Mounted LR
« on: March 01, 2021, 03:22:47 AM »
I bought a Ron Ehlert rifle back in 2001 from a gun builder in upstate PA (forget the name). The rifle was used.  It has a 42" swamped barrel, an L&R lock and iron mounted with a iron patchbox.
I fired the gun maybe twice, not more than three times. It has a single set trigger which I never really liked.
It is in excellent condition with no cracks at all, though some dings in the stock. It's been periodically oiled and wrapped up and in the garage all these years until we moved down here to North Carolina where I store it in a gun closet now.
I think I paid $3,000 back then and wonder what the value would be today?

« Last Edit: March 01, 2021, 03:27:26 AM by Bob Gerard »

Offline Stoner creek

Re: Ron Ehlert .45 Iron Mounted LR
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2021, 03:58:14 AM »
What’s it worth? Very subjective question indeed. They ain’t making Ron Ehlert guns anymore. If there’s a collector out there who’s looking for an Ehlert gun, he won’t mind paying a premium (maybe $1k more than what you paid).  From my perspective, you have not lost any value with this piece. This appears to be a plainer gun and that is a consideration. My honest opinion FWIW $3000.00-$3500.00. I don’t really like putting a dollar value on someone else’s stuff but there’s my opinion. I’m sure that there are other collectors out there who will disagree.  I hope this helps.
Stop Marxism in America

Offline Bob Gerard

• Powder Horns and Such
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2021, 04:13:37 AM »
Thanks Stoner, I think you helped.
It is rather plane jane (I saw Ron did some very decorated rifles) which is appropriate for a Southern Mountain LR.
I was actually surprised when I discovered the cleaning jags/tools set into in the patch box tonight!

Offline foxm2015

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2021, 05:32:52 PM »
A gentleman has a Ron Ehlert currently listed in the Items for Sale section of this form.  Comparison may help establish value.
Hope this helps also.

Offline EC121

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2021, 05:59:31 PM »
It all depends on how much of premium you attach to the builder's name on the barrel.  It is a nicely built plain rifle.  After that all the value is attached to the name of the builder.     
Brice Stultz

Offline Daniel Coats

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2021, 06:23:38 PM »
Two Ron Ehlert rifles sold in the last year on Rock Island Auction in the 4k to 5k range. Both were fancier than this example.
Dan

"Ain't no nipples on a man's rifle"

Offline Bob Gerard

• Powder Horns and Such
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2021, 11:34:40 PM »
Thank you foxm2015, EC121 and Daniel Coats. It seems like it's pretty well keeping it's value. But it seems a waste to have this rifle just stored away and gone unused over 20 years. I know it's not a beauty in comparison to some of Ron's more decorative pieces. Just seems like a well made, utilitarian rifle from a great maker. Perhaps I need to let it go.

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2021, 11:49:29 PM »
It's a beauty. 
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

Offline Keith Zimmerman

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2021, 05:02:44 AM »
Sometimes plain is more beautiful, if that makes sense.  Wonderful rifle.

Offline Clowdis

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2021, 04:50:38 PM »
This rifle has beautiful lines, it doesn't get much better.