Author Topic: Soddy D rifle details  (Read 4317 times)

Offline Clint

Soddy D rifle details
« on: March 01, 2021, 04:35:59 AM »
The Soddy rifles have become a popular topic, lately and a lot of people are interested in those rifles.There don't seem to be an over abundance of them and poor yankees like me will probably miss the opportunity to examine one or measure. It would be great if some of our collectors could photo the important aspects of some Soddy rifles so us builders can avoid embarrassing our selves in trying to replicate one or two of these distinctive guns.
R/S Clint Wright

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
Re: Soddy D rifle details
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2021, 05:15:13 AM »
  Clint  Bob McBride on here has a couple videos on U tube featuring a couple custom Soddies. Their are no doubt others in here.
 If you get Randal Pierre book on SMR guns.  Their is an original with all the measurements on it.
  I'm in the process of building one now.
  Getting the butt plate correct an the butt stock correct is a challenge. Well at least for me.

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2021, 05:31:21 AM »
I'm far from an expert but I'll give it a stab based on my observations and what I consider to be stereotypical traits.  There are 2 examples in the library.  The most prominent thing to me is the cheekrest area.  It sort of flows from an apple shaped wrist.  The wrist is fatter at top and sort of flat across the top. More like an upside down triangle.   The butt is diamond shaped with a very deep crescent shape to the buttplate.  The upper forearm is Vee shaped.  Most times a long flat straight tang. 

I can't pass up a chance to bring up this stamp again.  I have seen it on at least 5 Soddy guns that I do not believe were by the same maker. 

Cheers,
Ken

Failure only comes when you stop trying.

Offline Sequatchie Rifle

• Global Moderator
  • F. & A.M. Helion #1; 3rd SFG(ABN)
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2021, 06:09:29 AM »
Ken, I’ve seen it on at least two rifles.
"We fight not for glory, nor riches nor honors, but for freedom alone, which no good man gives up except with his life.” Declaration of Arbroath, 1320

Offline Kmcmichael

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2021, 06:55:57 AM »
From a layman’s viewpoint, they are the most extreme of the schools, the most radical, the biggest change from the Pennsylvania gunsmiths. How did the extreme crescent buttplate evolve? Was it for looks? Did the region adapt the different more oblique offhand stance? Did it double as a pitchfork?
 Most southern mountain rifles of the era exude elegance. The Soddy goes past into an adjective not in my vocabulary.

Offline Daniel Coats

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2021, 07:03:03 AM »
Here's one that sold at auction in 2018. 50 inch barrel in .54 caliber

Plain target rifle from the Soddy-Daisy school in southeast Tennessee. This example features a heavy octagonal steel target barrel with sights mounted on top, a partially visible signature on top, in script, and shaped long barrel tang. Flat stamp-engraved flintlock lockplate stamped "JOHN KIRKMAN / NASHVILLE" in center and features a reinforced cock and roller frizzen. Deep crescent shaped steel buttplate typical of this school and steel triggerguard, ramrod ferrules, and nosecap. The rifle has double set triggers. Plain full-length walnut stock of familiar Soddy-Daisy Tennessee form with narrow and pointed comb and a uniquely carved relief cheekpiece that extends into the wrist. The rifle is in very good condition overall. Barrel retains a dark brown patina with some light edge wear and corrosion at breech. Lock is in original flintlock configuration and retains a brown patina, some wear to markings and frizzen is a replacement. Stock is excellent with a few light scattered marks from use and some horizontal age cracks on forend. This is a fine example of a scarcely seen Tennessee target rifle.

Dan

"Ain't no nipples on a man's rifle"

Offline mountainman70

• USAF vet 1971-1972 malmstrom afb,montana
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2021, 07:10:51 AM »
Thanks for the pics and info, Dan. These are indeed in a class by themselves. Best regards, Dave F 8) 8)

Offline T.C.Albert

• Global Moderator
    • the hunting pouch
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2021, 01:25:44 PM »
The Log Cabin Shop has a detailed Soddy Daisy print just for builders.
Its about five bucks.
T Albert
"...where would you look up another word for thesaurus..."
Contact at : huntingpouch@gmail.com

Offline Daniel Coats

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2021, 04:48:13 PM »
Thanks for the pics and info, Dan. These are indeed in a class by themselves. Best regards, Dave F 8) 8)

Thanks Dave, the pictures I posted can be clicked on and enlarged. These Soddy rifles have a lot of variation in them. This one has a lollipop tang and even though the auction site listed a steel butt plate all it really has is a steel  toe plate with a corresponding plate on the comb, there is no steel on the inside curve.

The best pictures of this rifle are on the Morphy Auctions website. Here's a link if someone want's a super closeup of the details.

https://auctions.morphyauctions.com/lot-280515.aspx
Dan

Offline Daniel Coats

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2021, 04:52:19 PM »
The Log Cabin Shop has a detailed Soddy Daisy print just for builders.
Its about five bucks.
T Albert

Yep I bought a set which I'm happy with. Even more variation can be seen in the details like the lock moldings, it does have some nice cross sections shown.  I measured the barrel on the print and found it's a 42" x 7/8" x .40 caliber.
Dan

Offline cshirsch

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2021, 04:57:47 PM »
Soddy chunk gun from my collection.  Attributed to Enoch Hardin 

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2021, 05:09:47 PM »
cshirsch,

Thanks for the pics.  Nice example.    Any chance you can share a picture of the tang and buttplate cross section? 

Thanks,
Ken

Offline cshirsch

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2021, 05:21:42 PM »
cshirsch,

Thanks for the pics.  Nice example.    Any chance you can share a picture of the tang and buttplate cross section? 

Thanks,
Ken

I'll try to take some photos today.

Offline cshirsch

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2021, 08:04:08 PM »

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2021, 08:20:05 PM »
Thank you sir.  Really nice rifle.  Thanks for sharing with the group! 

Ken

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2021, 09:04:36 PM »
Soddy chunk gun from my collection.  Attributed to Enoch Hardin 

Quite the lock panels on this one!
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2021, 09:36:38 PM »
 ;) ;)... This is a Soddy area match rifle made by John Clements Jr. of Hamilton Co. TN,... circa 1860-1880 ... well loved and cared for and can still be used in matches,... has a   tang site (removable) added by a later shooter,... has the flat muzzle rest behind the nosecap for a rest on the chunk,... Soddy match rifles are much longer and heavier built than the two hunting rifles I have seen, which have the same, but scaled-down lines, that gives them that unique "Soddy" look,...CCF 

correct json online

Offline cshirsch

« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2021, 10:10:42 PM »
;) ;)... This is a Soddy area match rifle made by John Clements Jr. of Hamilton Co. TN,... circa 1860-1880 ... well loved and cared for and can still be used in matches,... has a   tang site (removable) added by a later shooter,... has the flat muzzle rest behind the nosecap for a rest on the chunk,... Soddy match rifles are much longer and heavier built than the two hunting rifles I have seen, which have the same, but scaled-down lines, that gives them that unique "Soddy" look,...CCF 

correct json online

That's a fine looking Soddy!  I just pulled mine down in the shop and checked the bore.  It is nice and I plan to see how it shoots.  The small longrifle shooting club I shoot with is planning a 2 or 3 days over the log shoot.  I really want to use my Soddy in the match.

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2021, 10:46:04 PM »
CCF,

Is this some sort of carved molding?

Thanks,
Ken

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2021, 10:58:47 PM »
 :) :).. Ken,... yes, and the unique "fish belly" under the lock area is interesting, too,...

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2021, 11:03:03 PM »
Thanks.  That's pretty dang cool.  Thanks for sharing.

Ken

Offline Levy

« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2021, 12:47:57 AM »
Ken,  I think what you've circled in red is just light reflected from the forearm of the rifle.  CCF is referring to the molding around the gun lock.  James Levy
James Levy

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2021, 03:34:28 AM »
Great thread for us Soddy lovers. Thought I would share a couple of buttplate shapes.  Some are very pronounced diamond.  I believe someone shared one on the board a while back that was very diamond shaped on the left but more of a gentle curve on the right? 

Anyone seen brass on a Soddy or inlays of any sort?  Surely there is a fancy one out there somewhere.

Cheers,
Ken

« Last Edit: March 02, 2021, 03:38:53 AM by Ken G »

Offline Collector

« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2021, 05:24:44 AM »
Cades Cove Fiddler, you have a PM.

Offline FALout

« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2021, 01:44:18 PM »
I’ve seen the toe plate pinned to the buttplate before, but have always wondered how difficult it is to do with steel.  I would think that there is a chance of breaking off a chuck of wood at the toe when hammering that pin.
Bob
Bob