Author Topic: Soddy D rifle details  (Read 4405 times)

Offline cshirsch

Re: Soddy D rifle details
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2021, 05:12:40 PM »
I am strongly considering shooting my Soddy chunk gun at a multiday 'over the log' shoot in SE Texas in a few months.  I checked the bore and it is smooth inside with good rifling.  It has a recycled, tapered and flared (swamped) .44 caliber barrel that is quite heavy. 

Offline Angus

« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2021, 04:43:36 AM »
Ken G., I am baffled, why would anyone consider collecting these rifles?
They are ugly as sin and typically too heavy to have good purpose. I mean every aspect of these rifles is just wrong.

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2021, 04:51:53 AM »
 >:(  Now Angus, you take that back!  Not every aspect is wrong.  When you lean one against a tree, that pointed buttplate digs right into the dirt and it stays leaning against the tree.  They didn't used to have fancy gyms so a 12 lb. rifle helped to build up their popeye muscles. 

Good to see you posting!  Did you finish up that Soddy log gun you were building?

Ken
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

Offline Angus

« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2021, 05:01:52 AM »
Still in progress. Mental roadblock. Got any good advice if you have seen tricker guard finials that are pointed rather than full round?

But had fun hammering out another barrel at Uncle Bookie's. Somewhere's around 5 hours from flat to welded tube. 20 degrees outside, 120 degrees inside the shop. I was down to T shirt and sweatin'. Timmy timed me; fluxed, out of the fire, hammered and back in around 40-50 seconds. Strike while it's hot. Missed seeing you there.

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2021, 05:13:49 AM »
PM sent.  You should post some barrel welding photos over in gun building.  I'm sure lots of folks would like to see the process. 

Cheers,
Ken

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2021, 03:28:58 PM »
 I know a guy who found one at a yard sale.

Tim

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2021, 03:33:10 PM »
Yep, I heard it had the bag, horn and contents with it.  You just never know where them Soddy's will show up.   ;)

Ken

Offline cshirsch

« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2021, 05:17:12 PM »
I pulled the barrel off mine to check the bore and, although it is nicer than many, it is not really good enough to shoot well.  Too bad, I looked forward to giving it a try. 

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2021, 05:23:11 PM »
Did it show signs of being shortened and reused?  Mine apparently was cut off and moved back.   

Ken

Offline mountainad82

« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2021, 01:01:36 AM »
Great thread for us Soddy lovers. Thought I would share a couple of buttplate shapes.  Some are very pronounced diamond.  I believe someone shared one on the board a while back that was very diamond shaped on the left but more of a gentle curve on the right? 

Anyone seen brass on a Soddy or inlays of any sort?  Surely there is a fancy one out there somewhere.

Cheers,
Ken

Ken,

I have personally examined one Soddy rifle that was all brass mounted. Interestingly, the trigger guard was still the typical Selvedge Soddy style despite being fashioned from brass.  The barrel was signed by both John Selvedge and his son in law Meredith Wolf.

Adam

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2021, 01:09:05 AM »
An all brass Soddy would be something pretty special to see!  Thanks for sharing the existence.   Sure would like to see some pics of that trigger guard. 

Thanks again,
Ken

Offline Ron Wehmeyer

• Starting Member
« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2021, 05:25:25 PM »
Some really nice Soddy Daisy rifles shown here . Are there any original examples know of Soddy Daisy rifles in caliber's larger than .45 ?

Offline Daniel Coats

« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2021, 06:15:08 PM »
Some really nice Soddy Daisy rifles shown here . Are there any original examples know of Soddy Daisy rifles in caliber's larger than .45 ?

Yes there was an original Soddy sold at auction in 2018. It had a 54 caliber barrel and still in original flint condition. I posted pictures and a link to it on another thread here on ALR.
Dan

"Ain't no nipples on a man's rifle"

Offline Ron Wehmeyer

• Starting Member
« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2021, 06:26:04 PM »
Thanks Daniel . I looked it up  that's a dandy .