Author Topic: CLA Show in Lexington !!  (Read 19027 times)

Offline AMartin

CLA Show in Lexington !!
« on: August 05, 2008, 11:04:43 PM »
Hey there everybody .......... just a reminder .... if one is really needed .........
Next Thursday is the annual show ....... it'll be a good one with over 290 tables sold !!!! Lots a originals ..... lots new ones as well !!!

Can't wait to be there !!!! Stop by the table & say ello !!

Allen Martin

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
Re: CLA Show in Lexington !!
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2008, 11:38:09 PM »
If I remember Dr. Getz will be holding court for all ALR members in the food court sometime, forget date/time. Looking forward to seeing what he will bring us this year! Last years original Getz hunting bag was certainly a treat!

Maybe we can get a group photo and post it.

Those traveling I-64 through WV see my post in Antique Gun Collecting.

Dennis
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 01:39:04 AM by Dennis Glazener »
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Kingsman06

• Starting Member
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2008, 12:12:36 AM »
I am already packed!!  I never miss this show.
Dave Zoellers

Offline C Wallingford

• Northern Kentucky
    • CW Knives
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2008, 12:31:50 AM »
I will be there for sure. Always look forward to seeing everyone.

Offline LRB

• WICK ELLERBE
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2008, 12:55:11 AM »
 Ima going too!

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2008, 01:30:58 AM »
ABSOLUTELY!  Just 10 more sleeps as Acer would say!

BTW, set up is on Thursday, 8/14.  The public hours are 8am-8pm on Friday 8/15, and 8am-4pm on Saturday 8/16.

Don't forget the gathering of the ALR members attending on Friday at 1:00pm in the Food Court, on the ground floor of the convention center, at the base of the escalators, same as last year. 

For details see the post in the Announcements/Show Schedules section.... http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=6.0

Hope to see you there!

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

don getz

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2008, 03:50:48 AM »
That Martin kid is all charged up again..  he just can't wait to show off that latest rifle again, before he hands it over to the new owner.  The way it looks now, we will have over a dozen guys traveling down that way from right here in central Pa.   Since I didn't see a lot of you guys at Dixon's, it will be fun for me to see you all at the show.  I think the meeting of
the ALR group is scheduled for 1 o'clock down in the food court...is that correct?  I'll bring a copy of that bag along, looks
just like the original....Don

Offline Jim Chambers

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2008, 05:00:07 AM »
I've been working all day on my display of the Bicentennial rifles.  I'll have at least four of then including #1 by Bivins and (the last one) #200 by Jack Haugh.  The others will all be Bivins ones.
Barbie and I will also be sharing a booth again this year with Mark Silver, and we'll have several very nice custom rifles for sale.  I'll list these in the for sale section in a few days.
With all the new tables this year I hope I'll have time to see everything.
Can't wait!!!!

lew wetzel

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2008, 07:04:14 AM »
i look forward to meeting everyone at the food court at 1pm.are we allowed to take pics of the original rifles that will be there???

Roy S.

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2008, 02:26:08 PM »
I'll be there somewhere....  ;D

culpeperlt

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2008, 03:04:51 PM »
I can't wait!  Besides, it will be nice to get some rest after burning the midnight oil for days trying to get "just one more project" finished up.  Should be a great show.

Kyle Willyard

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2008, 03:53:17 PM »
look forward to meeting everyone at the food court at 1pm.are we allowed to take pics of the original rifles that will be there???
Lew that would depend on the owner of the display. ALWAYS ask before touching or photoing a rifle that is on display.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2008, 03:57:20 PM »
i look forward to meeting everyone at the food court at 1pm.are we allowed to take pics of the original rifles that will be there???
Lew,

That's a great question and I would love to know the etiquette on this.  Hopefully, someone here with a knowledge of the lay of the land at KRA events will offer some guidance.  I would hope pictures will be allowed. 

I will say that I always take my camera to the CLA shows, but I ask the owner of the piece before taking pictures.  I cannot remember being denied and many of the owners repositioned and assisted me in getting shots of the details I wanted.  In this case, polite goes a long way.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

don getz

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2008, 04:26:15 PM »
Lew, and others.  Normally, at the KRA show we are not allowed to take pictures.  I suppose if you saw a rifle that really interested you, if you approached the owner correctly, he might allow you to do it.  I would also advise that if you wanted
to look at a gun more closely, and pick it up, I would ASK first.  You have to realize that some of these guns are very
valuable, and owned by wealthy people, and can be very protective of their guns, and, I guess rightly so.  I am just
hoping that some of the collectors will bring their good stuff to the show............Don

lew wetzel

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2008, 06:56:15 PM »
yes i suppose thier is proper etiquette to expressing your desire to photo a valuable gun from a rich fella.i dont think i would ask to handle them,but if a fella tells me to pick her up and handle it i would in a heart beat...i am only going to be there friday.me and another fella from the gun building class in lodi are coming down for the day.my first time ever and i can hardly wait......see ya there....

J.D.

« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2008, 08:32:50 PM »
I plan to be there all day Friday and Saturday morning. I spoke with Bob Roller and he is planning to attend Saturday with friends, so I plan to hook up with him to pick his brain about how he makes such wonderful locks. I also plan to order one of his incredibly nice Manton locks.  ;D

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2008, 08:38:10 PM »
If I can make it, it will be Saturday.
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Bob Mac

« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2008, 12:18:13 AM »
I'll be there Saturday. It will be my first trip can't wait.
Bob

Levy

« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2008, 12:40:13 AM »
Rich Pouncey (woodsrunner), Billy Harkins and I will be there and hopefully set up Thursday afternoon and will be there til the end.  I will bring some Type G Carolina Tradegun barrels that were recovered from Florida's rivers.  I'll try for the food court at 1:00 on Friday.  I'm looking forward to meeting folks.  The only downside is the 14 hour trip each way from Florida.

James Levy

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2008, 01:02:33 AM »
I will be there around noon..hopefully in time for the ALR lunch!!!  Will be leaving to head back to Atlanta on Sunday morning..Look forward to seeing you all!!

De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2008, 03:33:48 AM »
Rich Pouncey (woodsrunner), Billy Harkins and I will be there and hopefully set up Thursday afternoon and will be there til the end.  I will bring some Type G Carolina Tradegun barrels that were recovered from Florida's rivers.  I'll try for the food court at 1:00 on Friday.  I'm looking forward to meeting folks.  The only downside is the 14 hour trip each way from Florida.

James Levy
James,
But just think of the stories you will hear from Rich and Billy in those 28 hrs!
Dennis

Offline woodsrunner

« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2008, 03:57:18 AM »
Dennis,

Can't remember if I told you or not the story of Billy shooting the bear last fall with his GGGrandad's old hog rifle. If not, you be sure to ask Billy about it! I think Bill Scurlock would be interested in putting this story in Muzzleloader Magazine. It's awesome :o

Geoff Jones

« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2008, 04:52:42 AM »
Wow!  Can't wait to attend.  For several years while attending Dixon's I've heard how great the CLA show is.... but I've never been able to attend.  Looking forward to finally meeting many of you. I've been lurking for so long....  see you there.
Geoff and Lisa Jones
Amherst, NH

J Shingler

« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2008, 05:35:52 AM »
I will be there as well. Never missed one yet and don't plan on starting. Grat show and there is just no way to do it in a day. Heck I can not see it all to my satisfaction in the two days !!!

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2008, 05:21:46 PM »
Dennis,

Can't remember if I told you or not the story of Billy shooting the bear last fall with his GGGrandad's old hog rifle. If not, you be sure to ask Billy about it! I think Bill Scurlock would be interested in putting this story in Muzzleloader Magazine. It's awesome Shocked
Yes I heard it from you then talked to Billy about it. I think Muzzleloader might be interested in it. Great story.
Dennis