Author Topic: I was able to go shoot yesterday  (Read 3884 times)

Offline Don Adams

I was able to go shoot yesterday
« on: March 02, 2021, 01:37:30 AM »
I was able to shoot at our black powder league Sunday morning. Even though it was light rain, the temperature was great. I shot my Kibler SMR today (.45) caliber. It was the second time I shot this rifle since putting it together back in July and actually shot it in July. My 25 yard target was my highest score to date, my 50 yard is still my nemesis though. I shot a cast roundball .445, .20 patch, Mr. Flintlock lube and 50 grains of Old Ensford 3Fg. My 25 yd number 3 bull was my best shooting today.  I felt the rifle did good for it being it's second outing and I haven't benched it yet to work on loads that it likes.   Our league shoots off hand  3 shots per bull at 25 yds and 5 shots at 50 yd bull.

I really need to shoot more than once a month for sure! Especially the 50 yd range. Tough to see the sights and target with these old eyes

Offline shifty

Re: I was able to go shoot yesterday
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2021, 02:33:18 AM »

NICE!

Offline Nessmuck

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2021, 03:44:11 AM »
It’s Nice to get out and shoot. It takes me 20 shots to get into a groove....and by then its dark out...lol. We all need more trigger time....like the BB gun we shot as kids...shot it every day and shot it a lot, and could hit anything with it.Didn’t even shoot mine last year. Things are going to be different this year. Gonnah make time

Offline Daryl

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2021, 05:26:06 AM »
I find the same thing - HAVE to make time. There is always something else to do, but that is usually not what I want to do.
I want to shoot. Sometimes the weather doesn't co-operate.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Online smylee grouch

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2021, 06:24:29 AM »
I think once you get your best shooting load figured out and the rifle sighted in with that load your 50 yd targets will come around to where you want them.

Offline alacran

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2021, 03:09:49 PM »
For me to go to a formal competition in Arizona, I have a 340 mile round trip. So I seldom go down to Phoenix just to shoot.
It is also difficult to discipline oneself into regular practice sessions.
The ALR Postal match has gotten me out to shoot more often and though we may be thousands of miles apart, you can sense the camaraderie.
You may want to give it a go, as competition sharpens the eye.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline Daryl

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2021, 09:49:23 PM »
It sure does, alacran. We've perhaps somewhat of an advantage in living in smaller communities with the range or a place to shoot, fairly close by. Our range is only about 15 minutes to
20 minute drive to the edge-of-town range.  20 minutes in any direction & we're hunting. It's even closer for Justin & BobintheWoods.
It is nice to get out shooting as often as possible.
Don, that #3 target is nice.  You didn't mention what you used for lube.  My .45 GM bl. shot really well at 50yds. with 65gr. 3F GOEX and a water-based lube, but going to a slippery lube,
required me to use 75gr. 3F to get the same accuracy as 65gr gave.
It does pay to experiment.
Best wishes
Daryl

Offline Daryl

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2021, 11:14:04 PM »

Man - those Kibler kits sure make up into nice looking, slim-Jim rifles. Nicely done and with walnut, too.
Daryl

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2021, 12:08:01 AM »
I'm extremely happy to see so many out an enjoying shooting.  I 'm beyond lucky to be able to walk out my door and shoot whenever I want to...weather permitting of course.  My smoothbores became my main hunting guns mainly because of their historical use here, and the short distances at which game is usually taken.   Before finishing the gun, being able to work down the butt /cheek contact area for a custom fit really helps with consistency.  Speaking of practice; I'm heading out the door to exercise the 20 bore right now :)

Offline Don Adams

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2021, 05:12:59 AM »
Daryl, I was using Mr. Flintlock lube.  When the weather warms up - I plan on developing loads for each of my rifles. Last year was a really odd year and our club was really hampered by our governor's mandates and and county health mandates.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2021, 06:11:32 AM »
I've found Mr. Flintlock's lube and LHV to be virtually the same - equal in other words - which is GREAT for the community!
Daryl

Offline Don Adams

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2021, 03:36:46 AM »
Didn't do as good today shooting.  20 degrees colder than last week and decided to take a rifle I bought off of gunbroker a little over a year ago. A percussion .40 caliber with a William Large Barrel with the 4 J's and an L stamped on the barrel.  I did do better on the 50 yard range (after I got my hands warmed up a little bit)  My load was a .395 Hornady roundball, .20 cloverleaf patch, Mr. Flintlock Lube and 50 grains of Old Ensford 3Fg.  I would really like to take the barrel off this rifle and have it converted to a flintlock with a new stock.

I wished the last picture would have turned out better showing the markings of the Large barrel

Offline Daryl

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2021, 07:46:11 AM »
That's just fine, Don. We know the 4-J's markings. That should make a nice flinter.
Daryl

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2021, 09:09:35 PM »
Being fortunate enough to live 10 to 12 minutes from the local gun club range it's been frustrating to not have been able to shoot for so long.  A number of obstacles, including covid and snowy weather have really had an effect.  Shooting in hip deep snow is much too bizarre for this confirmed Georgia Cracker.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2021, 09:18:59 PM »
Does your Bill Large barrel have some choke in the bore? My .45 Large barrel seems to have quite a bit. One of the smoothest loading barrels I’ve ever had.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Sharpsman

• "There ain't no freedom...without gunpowder!"
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2021, 04:14:24 AM »
It’s Nice to get out and shoot. It takes me 20 shots to get into a groove....and by then its dark out...lol. We all need more trigger time....like the BB gun we shot as kids...shot it every day and shot it a lot, and could hit anything with it.Didn’t even shoot mine last year. Things are going to be different this year. Gonnah make time

It takes me 20 shots to get into a groove.

By that time I'm wore out!!
"There ain't no freedom...without gunpowder!"

Offline Don Adams

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2021, 04:36:48 AM »
Does your Bill Large barrel have some choke in the bore? My .45 Large barrel seems to have quite a bit. One of the smoothest loading barrels I’ve ever had.

I think it does Rich. It is tight at first maybe the first three inches, but then just slides right down.

Offline mushka

« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2021, 07:42:14 PM »
I bought a rifle a short while back.  It has a Bill Large barrel with the 4 j's and a L stamped under the J's.  I was told it should be a good barrel.  Don't know who built the rifle.  It's a fair looking gun and someone has put tacks all down the stock and butt area.  It's a .45 cal. and I shot it a little after getting it.  It does ok for me.  Can someone tell me the significance of the 4J  and L stamp.  I didn't pay a lot for this rifle and I'm curious.

Offline Mule Brain

• Summerville, SC
    • Charles Towne Long Rifles Black Powder Club
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2021, 03:47:42 PM »
We don't do it at our club, but I like the idea of 3 per bull.

Your shooting all scores, and running well
Those Without Arms Cannot Defend Freedom

South Carolina's Oldest Black Powder Club

https://charlestownelongrifles.com/

Offline DGB

« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2021, 07:51:30 PM »
The four J's are for bill's four daughters, Bob Roller can tell you their names.
I have had and still have barrels with the Large "L". I was once told that Bill would stamp the "L" on barrels that he had re-cut.
Not sure if that is true, but one I have that has been re-cut is stamped thusly.
Bob, your opinions??

Regards,
DGB

Offline mushka

« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2021, 05:17:35 PM »
DGB thanks for the info.  Being ignorant of gun building or repairs, what is meant by re-cut?  Shortening or re-cutting rifling, or something else.  This rifle is pretty ugly, not shiny at all and the tacks in the stock don't really help but it does shoot well.  Barrel is well aged but the rifling is good.  I like it more the more I look at it.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2021, 10:24:42 PM »
The rifling is simply re-cut as Rich does, or the rifling is bored out, bore reamed and then re-cut as Bobby Hoyte does.
Daryl

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2021, 11:43:58 PM »

[/quote]
 It takes me 20 shots to get into a groove.
By that time I'm wore out!!
[/quote]

What does one do when he realizes that he don't have no groove?  That's me nowadays.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Bill Raby

« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2021, 08:33:47 AM »
   I am moving this weekend so its been a little while since I got to go shooting. The new house is incredible and my new workshop is going to be great. But the workshop needs wiring and lighting. Pretty sure there will be trouble if I start on that before everything else is unpacked. Then I have to find a new job. I think it will be a while before I get to do any more shooting or building.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2021, 02:40:33 PM »
Best of luck with your move, Bill.
Andover, Vermont