Author Topic: Shooting Home Rifled Barrels  (Read 1796 times)

Offline Carper

Shooting Home Rifled Barrels
« on: March 03, 2021, 07:55:56 AM »
Thought I’d show some pictures unique to home rifled barrels. Let me say first I was a good shot, not great but good.  So keep that in mind  looking at the targets and such. Additionally while I didn’t shoot all the posted targets  or win the medals  however I did. Cut the barrels on a homade rig.  Some talk recently about groove and land ratio’s etc. I have never cut a barrel where the groove was wider than the land ! In fact most of the time the groove was very narrow. The barrels all shot well. I have shown a couple of targets showing average performance from these barrels. Not the best or worst but what you could routinely expect. The most significant photo is the target I’m holding with the rifle ( these are plain hunting style rifles) is was shot with bullets not balls at 100 yards .It shot balls better that that at 100 yards. Don’t underestimate these old timey ways.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2021, 10:22:10 AM by Carper »

Offline shifty

Re: Shooting Home Rifled Barrels
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2021, 01:50:43 PM »

Carper, That is very good shooting and makes you feel great shooting a barrel that you made your self . What is the twist you may have told in another post but i missed it ? That is  good grouping with slugs and you say even better with RB ,I would be proud to be able to  cut a barrel that performed that well. Keep up the good work there Carper.

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2021, 04:00:42 PM »
 :o :o... Knew you were good when we first started messaging, John,... about LAWING guns if I remember right,... I have to admire a gunsmith who can rifle the barrel, build a gun around it, and prove what a good shooter it is,... !!! ... bet you could forge a barrel, too,.. !!! Carry on that family Tradition, my friend,....... BTW,... you sure were young in those photos,...regards,... Cades Cove Fiddler...

Online Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2021, 04:45:25 PM »
Cool pictures Carper!!! What is the twist rate?
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline Leatherbark

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2021, 02:42:30 PM »
Johnnie's rifling machine rifled this barrel.  It has brought much more meat home including squirrels, turkey and deer.  This is a friend of Carper's who uses the old rifling machine  that is still here in the lower 48 that Johnny rifled many barrels with back in the day.

can t see images on google

Offline shifty

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2021, 05:24:42 PM »

Hey Bob , You sure brought home the Bacon that day for sure!

Offline wolf

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2021, 06:35:44 PM »
i may be way off on this but they make 2 groove rifling for modern rifles. they shoot good and the barrels foul less than a 3 groove. could the same be applied to a muzzleloader to make it foul less? i have never saw one in 2 groove, has anybody made one?
I have never "harvested" a critter but I have killed quite a few,,,,,,,,,,,

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2021, 07:14:20 PM »
I'm wondering if you generate the same a
Mount of fouling in the combustion of the charge but how much stays in the barrel depends on several factors. Maybe how tight the combo is, the number, depth and width of the groves, what and how much lube was used might be a factor. Any thoughts?

Offline wolf

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2021, 08:08:10 PM »
one thing if you only have 2 grooves there will be no fouling in grooves to worry about,,,,,,,,,,,,,
I have never "harvested" a critter but I have killed quite a few,,,,,,,,,,,

Offline Leatherbark

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2021, 01:55:53 PM »

Hey Bob , You sure brought home the Bacon that day for sure!

The guy with the turkeys and ham laid out on the bench is not me.  He's a young guy Johnny taught how to build mountain rifles.  Heck if I was that pretty I'd move to the city!

Bob