Author Topic: James Gillespie Rifle  (Read 3351 times)

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
James Gillespie Rifle
« on: March 04, 2021, 06:05:38 PM »
Thought you might like to see a James Gillespie rifle (Note James used JA G to differentiate from his brother John who signed his rifles J G) I believe it may have originally been a flint rifle converted to percussion, based on cutout for flint cock. (if so the lock was replaced). James was the fourth son (of five) of Mathew and Elizabeth Sitton Gillespie (all five were trained gun makers).

James Gillespie followed his older brother John R. Gillespie to Union County, Georgia shortly after John moved there in the late 1840’s. The 1850 industrial census shows the two of them working together in the Blairsville area. Later, after the two married, John moved to Young Harris in nearby Towns County. James remained in the Blairsville area until his death in 1897.

I tend to believe this rifle was probably built in Mills River NC prior to his move to Union County GA in 1849.

Photo credit Ken Orr

« Last Edit: March 04, 2021, 06:31:44 PM by Dennis Glazener »
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
Re: James Gillespie Rifle
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2021, 06:19:38 PM »
Thanks for sharing the pictures.  Great looking rifle. 

Ken
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

Offline cshirsch

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2021, 06:28:18 PM »
Love it!

Online JTR

• member 2
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2021, 06:57:41 PM »
That's a fine rifle Dennis, and thanks for posting it!
Also, fantastic pictures with great detail when zoomed in.
John
John Robbins

Offline mbriggs

• member 2
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2021, 07:46:09 PM »
That is a great rifle Dennis, thanks for sharing.

Michael
C. Michael Briggs

Offline geologyjohn

• Starting Member
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2021, 08:06:39 PM »
Sorry for the poor quality, but that is all that is available
James Gillespie

Offline Howard

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2021, 09:02:30 PM »
I love seeing this old relic untouched. Fine looking rifle !!

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2021, 09:17:07 PM »
Mighty fine rifle, Dennis! Looks to be as untouched as they come. I wouldn't mind having one or more like this one up on my wall. Great photos and a great gun. Thank you for posting the them. Very enjoyable to see it,
Dick 

Offline Avlrc

• Hampshire County Long Rifles
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2021, 11:20:34 PM »
Nice treatment on the flats of the muzzle.  JAG, that is cool.

Offline gibster

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2021, 02:07:00 AM »
Great rifle Dennis.  Hope it has a chance to hang on your wall for a while.

Offline heinz

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2021, 02:21:51 AM »
Dennis, thanks for posting that.  It is a great rifle.  Really interesting.  I like the triggers and the long toe-plate.  The muzzle work is unique (to me anyhow)

I think you are right about that being a replacement lock.  Is the trigger plate held in by the guard?
kind regards, heinz

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2021, 03:02:24 AM »
Is that the James Gillespie rifle that Wayne Elliott had? Looks very similar. Wayne's, which I sold him, came out of a pawn shop a little northeast of Atlanta, Georgia a few years ago. Pawn shop said it walked in the door from a local family.  Shelby Gallien
« Last Edit: March 05, 2021, 10:08:10 AM by Tanselman »

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2021, 03:49:50 AM »
Is that James Gillespie rifle the one Wayne Elliott had? Looks very similar. Wayne's, which I sold him, came out of a pawn shop a little northeast of Atlanta, Georgia a few years ago. Pawn shop said it walked in the door from a local family.  Shelby Gallien
Shelby,
Yes that is the one, Wayne sold it to me last fall. I was unaware it came from GA, in that case it may have been made in Union County but quite a few of the Henderson County NC folks moved down into North GA so its possible a Henderson County owner took it with him when he moved.
Dennis
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2021, 04:16:24 AM »
Heinz,
The trigger plate appears to be held in the front by a filed notch in the front of the trigger plate, the rear of the trigger plate looks to be held by the rear tang screw. His father, Mathew used the same setup for the front of the trigger plate but
the back was held in by the tip of the protruding trigger main spring screw.

Here is a photo of why I think this rifle may have been flint when built. You can see what appears to be a cut by a gouge for the flint cock, maybe not since there is some wood chipped out around the lock panel. If it was flint the lock would have been replaced at time of conversion. Which ever it was I would never convert/re-convert to flint.

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2021, 05:08:41 AM »
  Dennis really a great rifle. Thank you for posting. Another fine gun to drill over.

Offline AZshot

« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2021, 05:39:44 AM »
Nice catch Dennis.  By coincidence I found a J.G. that sold on auction in the fall of 2019.  I didn't get it, it was right before I was actively learning about my heritage rifles.  I missed it, but good to see I have a chance to get one before I die.  Here is the the markings of that one:

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2021, 05:59:30 AM »
 8) 8)... Classic James Gillespie,... glad you have her, Dennis,... bring her to Knoxville,.... CCF

Offline scottmc

« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2021, 06:33:21 AM »
Very nice Gillespie, Dennis.  I really like their sleek lines.  Not very high at the butt end.  Is the butt less than 4" high?
Remember Paoli!

Offline mountainad82

« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2021, 01:44:27 PM »
Great rifle Dennis! Sleek lines, great architecture and appears as untouched as the get! I agree with Dana, would love to examine in person at the Knoxville show.

Adam Wright

Offline Nordnecker

« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2021, 02:53:43 PM »
I like it a lot, too. Is the barrel swamped at all?
The buttplate is different from most Gilespies, isn't it?
"I can no longer stand back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify our precious bodily fluids."- Gen Jack T. Ripper

Offline mbriggs

• member 2
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2021, 08:37:56 PM »
It is great to come to this site and see great old longrifles again.  I for one was getting tired of only seeing muskets, fowlers, and shotguns. (laughs)

Michael
C. Michael Briggs

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2021, 12:56:41 AM »
I like it a lot, too. Is the barrel swamped at all?
The buttplate is different from most Gilespies, isn't it?

Yes the barrel is slightly swamped. As best I can measure (percussion cap erosion) the breech is 1.055", the mid-point is 1.028" and the muzzle is 1.056". The barrel measures 47 3/8" long.

Yes the curvature of the buttplate is deeper than other Gillespie's and the typical slanted oval grease hole is deeper than any Gillespie I have seen, would hold a lot of bear tallow!
Dennis

Offline Chris_B

« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2021, 03:30:05 PM »
Again: Thanks a lot Dennis for sharing this beauty!
My Harvey Gillespie (guess you remenber that one) is one of the favorites in my collection.
Kind regards from Germany, Chris

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2021, 05:06:25 PM »
 ??? ???... Dennis,... I keep coming back to look at this one,... a fine James Gillespie on all accounts,... now,... we have talked about the cast buttplates and trigger-guards that the Gillespies used, ... I have seen the brass ones, and they are unique,.. while this rifle appears to have a forged buttplate, is the trigger-guard cast iron,..? ... thanx for showing this fine rifle,... CCF,... (in Henderson County),....

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2021, 11:52:12 PM »
No its actually brazed, I had to go get it and look for a seam to be sure. I say brazed it might well be forge welded but definitely not cast. Also, I failed to mention it appears to have copper thimbles.
Dennis