Author Topic: Lets see your original Northwest Trade Gun  (Read 8452 times)

Offline Rajin cajun

• Ragin Cajun
Re: Lets see your original Northwest Trade Gun
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2021, 06:38:08 PM »
American manufactured circa 1845 Chiefs grade by Tryon. Very light and well balanced, a pleasure to carry, shoulder and point. This one had the medallion of  running deer tacked on the cheek side, the ghost of the shape and 4 pin holes are still visible .  If anyone knows of one available please let me know. There were two versions a long tail, and a short tail version.  These were used by Tryon and Derringer.

Bob

It’s not the size of the dog in the fight, it’s the size of the fight in the dog !

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2021, 06:43:47 PM »
Thanks to everyone who is sharing these guns!
Andover, Vermont

Offline louieparker

« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2021, 07:24:16 PM »
Bob sorry we bombed out on the inlay. Those Tryons are not easy to find......LP

Offline Rajin cajun

• Ragin Cajun
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2021, 08:53:41 PM »
Bob sorry we bombed out on the inlay. Those Tryons are not easy to find......LP
Thanks Louie,  we came close on the last one.

Bob
It’s not the size of the dog in the fight, it’s the size of the fight in the dog !

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2021, 01:32:22 AM »
Thanks for sharing these fine guns guys. Seeing these really helps those of us that do not have a background in this types of gun.
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline lexington1

« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2021, 03:28:59 AM »
While we are talking about the deer inlay on Deringers, do you know if the inlay was just used on trade guns? I have this Deringer percussion rifle, but it looks to be too fancy to be a trade rifle. I will admit, though, I am not very knowledgeable about Deringers.

Offline Rajin cajun

• Ragin Cajun
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2021, 03:47:28 AM »
I have seen this on other Derringer weapons, I’ve seen it on a fine highly decorated North Carolina rifle. I would imagine this medallion was sold by someone like Tryon who supplied such items to gunmakers , and gun repair shops. They are usually seen on items made for the trade. By the way nice rifle you have there.....👍

Bob

Offline lexington1

« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2021, 04:01:04 AM »
Thanks Bob. This rifle would be in fine condition, except someone hacked about a foot of barrel off sometime in it's lifetime. It's a shame because everything else is in super nice condition. Why, why did people do things like this?

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2021, 04:11:38 AM »
I have seen this on fine Derringer rifles that were not trade guns. I friend has one similar to the one I've pictured  with that running deer inlay . I think his has Derringer  signed  in script under it.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2022, 03:57:48 AM by jdm »
JIM

Offline Rajin cajun

• Ragin Cajun
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2021, 04:57:34 AM »
Jim , nice rifle. I have a buddy in New Orleans that has a Derringer musket that has the medallion tacked on . This item is associated with both Derringer and Tryon , and seen most often on their trade weapons..
Again nice rifle you have there. Would like to see a photo of your buddy’s rifle. Was the running deer inlayed or was it tacked on as on the trade guns.

Bob

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2021, 05:14:30 AM »
My friends gun is a city gun like this one.  The inlay looks like it was pressed from behind.

Bob after the Princeton show I would like to send you some pictures of a horn I have. It may have some connections to your neck of the woods.
 I would like your thoughts on it.
JIM

Offline Rajin cajun

• Ragin Cajun
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2021, 05:26:59 AM »
My friends gun is a city gun like this one.  The inlay looks like it was pressed from behind.

Bob after the Princeton show I would like to send you some pictures of a horn I have. It may have some connections to your neck of the woods.
 I would like your thoughts on it.
Thanks Jim 👍🇺🇸👍
Bob

Offline Rajin cajun

• Ragin Cajun
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2021, 03:16:43 PM »
Thanks Bob. This rifle would be in fine condition, except someone hacked about a foot of barrel off sometime in it's lifetime. It's a shame because everything else is in super nice condition. Why, why did people do things like this?
Lexington, That rifle of yours speaks, here is what it tells me ... The work that has been done on it was not 20 or 21st century work done to enhance value. This was a rifle made by a very good maker, in really nice condition with several modifications by a talented gunsmith. The barrel was shortened to accommodate use on horseback or wagon.  A very nice conversion from flint to cap lock not by nipple and drum as most but by bolster for added strength in the breach area. The rifle was modified for the task ahead of it and its owner back in the 1800’s . It has been in this configuration a lot longer than in its original form. It’s a very nice rifle just the way it is, with a lot of very good reasons of why it is in the present condition. Just remember this, some bell collectors would say ,” Oh , t’s a nice bell , but I wish it wasn’t cracked “, when speaking of the Liberty Bell. All the history lost.
Enjoy your rifle ,let it talk to you....
Bob

Offline James Wilson Everett

« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2021, 07:21:53 PM »
Here is an English trade gun.

English Trade Gun
LOA 52.25   LOP 13.25
Barrel LOA 37.18  Breech 1.22  Muzzle 0.72  Bore 0.56  Marked LONDON plus English proofs
Buttplate  H 4.75  W 1.75
Lockplate  H 1.18  L 6.25
Rear ramrod pipe to middle ramrod pipe  11.25 (this is the length of visible ramrod)
Middle ramrod pipe to front ramrod pipe  7.25  (this is the length of visible ramrod)

Just a thought: The name "London" on the barrel almost guarantees that it was made elsewhere.

Jim

« Last Edit: March 13, 2021, 12:19:31 AM by James Wilson Everett »

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2021, 07:25:46 PM »
Tell us more, Jim!
Any makers marks or proof marks? Bore and barrel length?
Andover, Vermont

Offline Mtn Meek

• GRRW Collector
« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2021, 05:32:39 AM »
Tell us more, Jim!
Any makers marks or proof marks? Bore and barrel length?

Rich, it's another one of those Ketland fowlers we were discussing on the other forum with the flat floral sideplate that may be an abstract dragon or just acanthus leaves.

If you "click" on the photo [notice that "click" is lower case and not proper name], it will take you to Photobucket where Mr. Everett has more photos.  I can see the "crown" over "V" view mark of the pre-1813 Birmingham proof marks in one of the photos.

The marks on the lock have been mostly corroded away by the fulminate when it was a percussion, but one can still make out a couple letters like the "D" at the end and what looks like "% Co.". 
« Last Edit: March 12, 2021, 05:39:20 AM by Mtn Meek »
Phil Meek

Offline Rajin cajun

• Ragin Cajun
« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2021, 08:22:45 PM »
This is an English trade piece like Jim’s. It has been shortened and converted. As they say “it been rode hard and put up wet”. Louie this is another of my son in laws Charlie’s collection..
Nice old trade gun, it has seen the buffalo!!!!
Bob

image hosting website

Offline louieparker

« Reply #42 on: March 14, 2021, 05:29:52 PM »
Thanks to everyone for your post.  I have enjoyed this thread and seen some very interesting guns.. Hopefully there will be more to come.  When I look at some of the trade guns it's hard to keep my imagination from running a bit wild. Thinking about the original owner, the conditions of his life at that time and how he felt when he first acquired this gun. 
On Friday and Saturday I was at the Princeton Show.. There were some very nice trade guns there. Some going back to the French and Indian war period.  With their long 48 inch barrels they were quite impressive. Also a fine untouched Wheeler & Son .. All a pleasure to look at ..Louie

Offline jruff5585

« Reply #43 on: November 11, 2022, 06:25:05 PM »
Better late then never. Well she's been rode hard and put away wet, she's been converted. But I do believe she is an early Wilson. I have always wanted to have her lock fixed and reconverted. I don't want the gun restored but I want it done right. Has anyone used Munford Restoration? Or can somebody recommend someone

Offline Bill Paton

« Reply #44 on: November 11, 2022, 09:02:17 PM »
jruff,
I was personally thrilled when I saw your images of this veteran still in percussion! I thought, “Hurray, she’s left as used! Her history is still intact.”
Your gun honorably shows her well-used background, giving me immediate and clear mental images of her life in the wilderness. I love her as she is.

My 88 year old mother-in-law (whom I love dearly) doesn’t look right in pancake makeup!

Respectfully, Bill Paton
« Last Edit: November 11, 2022, 09:23:58 PM by Bill Paton »
Kentucky double rifle student
wapaton.sr@gmail.com

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #45 on: November 11, 2022, 09:29:29 PM »
JR, please think long and hard before you touch your grand old trade gun. A reconversion on a tangible piece of frontier history such as this one is a minus on the value; a take away. As the physician says 'Do no harm' and returning it to flint will not really improve the look of it. Aside from that bit of unsolicited advice, thank you for posting the excellent photos. Much appreciated.
Dick

Offline Rajin cajun

• Ragin Cajun
« Reply #46 on: November 11, 2022, 10:13:36 PM »
The saying is ,” If it ain’t broken don’t fix it”!
Sir don’t do a thing to that piece.

Bob

Offline jruff5585

« Reply #47 on: November 12, 2022, 02:32:31 AM »
Ok Done, she will stay as she is. no more needs to be said about reconverting. Thanks for your input.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2022, 02:37:48 AM by jruff5585 »

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #48 on: November 12, 2022, 02:59:56 AM »
[quote author=jruff5585 l
Ok Done, she will stay as she is. no more needs to be said about reconverting. Thanks for your input.

Good decision !It's a nice old frontier conversion.  Buy the way that's a cool old gun.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2023, 10:12:27 PM by jdm »
JIM