Author Topic: Iron mounted original VA rifle  (Read 1764 times)

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
Iron mounted original VA rifle
« on: March 06, 2021, 09:12:41 PM »
This rifle is also shown in the ALR library with more amateur photos. Here is the URL https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=4165.0

Would love to hear any comments on possible location/maker/time period etc. Several have suggested martial connections i.e. militia, maker an ex armory maker etc

Subject is an original flintlock rifle, probably made in Augusta County VA. Maker is unknown. I got it from a man that purchased it in the 1970’s from a owner that lived in the Roanoke/Salem VA area. That’s all the background I have on the rifle.

Since I suggested this I will post another original.

The rifle appears to be all original and is stocked in American walnut. The hardware is iron. Everything functions properly and appears to be safe to shoot.

The patch box appears to be one piece (except for lid). The release is activated via pressing the midsection of the toe plate. Patch box is 6.50 inches in length and is 2.312 inches wide in the rear.

The flintlock appears to be original to the rifle and is marked “W & JR Payson Philadelphia” It is an English style with a roller tipped frizzen spring. It is fastened in place using 2 lock bolts.

Butt plate is 4.572 inches tall, fastened with 2 screw and is 1.682 inches wide. The extension measures 2.920 inches in length. While making a copy of this rifle, I pulled the buttplate to better get dimensions and see how it was made. That's when I saw the maker's initials "J W", maybe John Wilson of Botetourt County VA ?? I talked with Wallace Gusler about the initials and he said it was probably the maker of the buttplate and not the maker of the rifle. I suspect he is correct.

Bore is approximately .47 caliber.
Barrel length is 41” and is a straight taper, there is no evidence it has been cut.
Barrel measures .930 at breech, .800 mid-way and .743 at the muzzle. I was concerned about the straight taper barrel possibly being an indication of a later period than others had suggested (1790-1810). Wallace Gusler told me that straight tapered barrels were used early on in that area of VA.

Tang is 2” long and is flared, with a small “finger-nail” on the back

Drop at heel is 2 7/8 inches. Length of pull is 13.5 inches.

The entry pipe is 27.5” (measured to the center) from the muzzle and is double pinned. The end has a slight bell shape to the forward end. It is 2.365 inches long.

The middle pipe is 16” from the muzzle and has a single pin. The two ends have a slight bell shape. This pipe is 1.445 inches long.

The forward pipe is 5” from the muzzle and is double pinned. The two ends have a slight bell shape. This pipe is 1.534 inches long.

The nose cap is one piece iron and is 1.870 inches long. It is held on with 2 pins that are peened on each side. The ram rod groove is extended through the bottom of the nose cap.

The front sight is a brass barley corn style and center is located 2” from the muzzle.

The rear sight is very low profile and its center is 31.25 inches from the muzzle.

The single trigger is .25 inches wide in the center and comes to a blunt point at the bottom.

The plain iron guard is 9.50 inches long and appears to be a casting (possibly from a musket?) the front and rear extensions are .550 inches wide. The trigger bow is .991 inches wide at the bottom of the bow.

Photo credit to Mark Elliott

« Last Edit: March 06, 2021, 09:16:19 PM by Dennis Glazener »
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

Re: Iron mounted original VA rifle
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2021, 09:54:46 PM »
 ;) ;)... Thanx for posting these pix, Dennis,... always enjoy seeing these rifles,... !!!

Offline heinz

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2021, 10:38:33 PM »
The overall look of that rifle always reminds me of the Joseph Bogel rifle.
kind regards, heinz

Offline Algae

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2021, 01:07:50 AM »
That's flat out gorgeous Dennis, thanks for the photos!!

Al Jenkins

Offline mountainad82

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2021, 04:14:34 AM »
Love this one Dennis! Thank you for sharing it.

Adam Wright

Online smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2021, 02:36:55 PM »
Hi Dennis,
I love Nord's last statement that goes  " true American rifle.......with classic English lock".

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Clowdis

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2021, 05:18:28 PM »
While I won't debate the merits of a nice piece of curly maple, I do like the look of a stock made of American walnut. Beautiful!

Offline Notchy Bob

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2021, 07:48:04 PM »
The rifle is extraordinary!  Thanks for showing it, and for the detailed description.

Notchy Bob
"Should have kept the old ways just as much as I could, and the tradition that guarded us.  Should have rode horses.  Kept dogs."

from The Antelope Wife

Offline Chris_B

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2021, 03:27:29 PM »
What a beauty! Thank you Dennis for sharing the pictures.
Kind regards from Germany, Chris