General discussion > Shop Made Tools

Lets See Your Favorite Tools

<< < (5/6) > >>

JHeath:

--- Quote from: Stoner creek on October 30, 2021, 06:15:44 PM ---Here’s my favorite, as the guys in last weeks class can attest.

--- End quote ---

When I see one of those left on a bench I take it to the owner and complain, "This cheap-ass wrench of yours doesn't grip worth a @!*%."

I still have mine, a gift from my foreman 40+ years ago. I use it when I misplace my digital. For a few years I couldn't read it, then realized I just needed glasses.

When I show young guys how to read it, they just shake their heads.

Van:
    My favorite is an anvil made by my grandfather in his shop which he gave to me when I started building muzzleloaders in the 1970s.  Made from a railroad rail.

Bob Roller:

--- Quote from: JHeath on January 03, 2022, 07:20:53 AM ---
--- Quote from: Stoner creek on October 30, 2021, 06:15:44 PM ---Here’s my favorite, as the guys in last weeks class can attest.

--- End quote ---

When I see one of those left on a bench I take it to the owner and complain, "This cheap-ass wrench of yours doesn't grip worth a @!*%."

I still have mine, a gift from my foreman 40+ years ago. I use it when I misplace my digital. For a few years I couldn't read it, then realized I just needed glasses.

When I show young guys how to read it, they just shake their heads.

--- End quote ---

Today while awaiting delivery from a hardware store I came across this.The screw at the top of that "wrench"is supposed to be tightened with vise grips ;D ;D ;D.Then the moveable jaw has a harder time getting past the corners on a nut or bolt.Getting away from the absurd,
I tried to show younger machinists in years past about these old tools and I would have made more progress by using another language.
I still call dial calipers a "Very Near"caliper and have never used one in making screws or lock tumblers.They are a good scribe in spme applications.
Bob Roller

Dan Herda:

My favorite is my g grandads shave horse, originally built by him using no nails screws or bolts. (1875ish) A couple have been added over yrs past due to cracks. I aim to duplicate this with some mesquite I slabbed up in 2015.
Then I’ll have one to use.

Dan Herda:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version