Author Topic: Another Group Of Flattened Horns (Large)  (Read 1321 times)

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
Another Group Of Flattened Horns (Large)
« on: March 12, 2021, 10:58:53 PM »

This and the next one are the largest, this one is 9 1/2" X 3 X 1 1/4, 4 1/2" of the length is plug, tip and stopper. The tip is horn and pewter, the Pewter was poured on the tip and then turned, it is pinned to the horn with 3 iron pins. The base is Walnut held in place by 6 pins it is tapped 1/2-8 and covered in Brass that is held by 4 iron nails. Single band heated and pressed on held by 4 more pins. Probably move of a pocket/bag horn than a primer. 

This one is also 9 1/2", again 4 1/2" of it is plug, tip and stopper. The Walnut base is 2 1/2 X 1" and threaded 1/2-8, it is held by 6 pins. It is also covered with a Brass plate, it is held by 2 nails. The tip is two parts made of horn, the collar is threaded 5/8-11 as is the tip and horn body.

This one is smaller at 8", plug, tip and stopper make up about 4" of that. Walnut base again threaded the same as above, it has a Tin cover held by Two Brass tacks. The tip is horn held with 3 pins, the bands are/were held by four pins each. As I was posting the Pix I noticed a crack in the top band so I added 2 more pins to it, it isn't going anywhere.

This is the smallest at 7", plug, stopper and tip being 3 1/2" of it. The base is about 3 1/2" X 7/7ths". It is threaded as the others are with the Brass cover being held by 2 nails. Thje Tp is hron with a Pewter tip pinned to the body with 3 pins. The band is pewter, it was cast round to fit the horn when it was round and then fitted once the horn was flattened. It is held by 2 pins. 

The Group:

Tim C.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2021, 04:20:43 PM by Tim Crosby »

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
Re: Another Group Of Flattened Horns (Large)
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2021, 11:27:51 PM »
 I make things like tips up so I have them when I need them sometimes I forget about them or lose them in the shop. Here is a post from 2009 that shows the two pewter tipped tips. The tip on the two band horn was also made about that time and was in the same can, the screw tip is pretty new.

Tim

https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=3540.0

Offline Jim Spray

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2021, 12:36:11 AM »
Very nice as always Tim!! I really like the double banded one!

Jim

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2021, 03:06:43 AM »
I sure hope these are sold before the show in Knoxville. ....
Stop Marxism in America

Eseabee1

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2021, 03:09:06 AM »
Very nice work Tim

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2021, 03:19:56 AM »
I like em
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline Bonnie54

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2021, 03:29:04 AM »
Wow. They look great Tim!
Brett Davis

Offline hawkeye

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2021, 08:18:25 PM »
Like a lot the very left one, do you turn the items on a metal lathe or wood lathe?
Thanks for sharing
Hawkeye

Offline old george

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2021, 12:00:00 AM »
Tim,
you know I'm fond of the flatties. Out of these four I like the 1st one for the color and the 4th for it's size and pewter band.

george
I cannot go to Hades: Satan has a restraining order against me. :)

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2021, 08:11:23 PM »
Delightful work Tim, especially the pewter turning.  My favorite is the black stepped "Christmas Tree" one.  Great shaping on that one especially.  You are really turning out some super flat horns.   God Bless,   Marc