Author Topic: using bb's in a smoothbore???  (Read 3614 times)

Offline adkmountainken

using bb's in a smoothbore???
« on: March 13, 2021, 03:30:00 AM »
are bb's safe to use in a smoothbore muzzleloader? does anyone use them for a stout turkey load?

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
Re: using bb's in a smoothbore???
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2021, 01:57:54 PM »
Aren't BB's steel? Seems like you would need a shot cup to protect the barrel. I don't see any advantage over lead, or even the bismuth / tin alloy being sold.
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline adkmountainken

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2021, 02:26:48 PM »
the advantage is the size of the bb

Banjoman

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2021, 03:18:55 PM »
I've shot them in a fusil de chasse only a couple of times at about 20 yards.  They worked fine but I couldn't see any advantage over lead.  It didn't damage the bore but it was only a couple of shots. Don't know what long term shooting with them would do.

Offline alacran

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2021, 04:05:15 PM »
BB shot is made of lead. BB's are made for BB guns and are made of copper plated steel. There is also BB steel shot l, as well as other non toxic shot types. The size is .177. 
In the old days BB Lead shot was used for Geese,  and other large birds. 
I have used copper plated BB shot for Sandhill crane, since it is not considered Waterfowl, and it is legal in the US.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline John SMOthermon

• John SMOthermon
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2021, 05:18:21 PM »
I have shot copper plated bbs from my 16 gauge smoothbore...

However after I discovered they were illegal for Turkey in the State of Tn..
I didn’t continue with testing.

Smo

Good Luck & Good Shootin'

Offline Scott Bumpus

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2021, 05:54:21 PM »
Hey Smo,  I sent you a pm
YOU CAN ONLY BE LOST IF YOU GIVE A @!*% WHERE THE $#*! YOU ARE!!

Offline Daniel Coats

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2021, 06:00:12 PM »
I used bbs in an original double barrel back in the 70's. Filled a freezer full of rabbits one winter. Only had newspaper for wadding which worked fine for close range. Never noticed any damage although I wouldn't use them today.
Dan

"Ain't no nipples on a man's rifle"

Offline Daryl

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2021, 10:04:16 PM »
BB's for air guns are just under  or at .177.  They, for the most part, are copper plated/washed steel, or non-plated steel as well.
BB shot for loading in shotshells is .180"(usually) nominally and contain 50 pellets per ounce in lead.
I bracketed the word usually due to odd times, different mgr's have slightly different sizes, per shot # or name.
Typically BBB is .190" as well, with "T" being .20".
The larger the shot, the larger the "holes" between the shot pellets in the pattern, which makes wounding rather than killing much more likely.
You will need to pattern them to see if they will be effective. I would suggest, that BB is a poor choice for shot for turkey, from a muzzleloading
gun without choke.  One thing they will do, is drag feathers into the meat, most likely.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2021, 06:17:09 AM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2021, 09:07:27 AM »
Air rifle BB shot will score the heck out of a barrel, first shot.  I have seen an old double with what looked like straight microgroove rifling from BBs.  A plastic shot cut designed for steel shot is absolutely necessary for steel shot.  Then there is the question why?  Steel shot is vastly inferior to lead shot even at very high muzzle velocities.  At BP velocities steel shot is nearly useless.  If it a question of shortages scrounge some lead shot, old shells?  Or, make lead shot using the short drop method.  Or, cut lead sheet into squares and tumble it with graphite to beat it more round.    Pretty much anything is a better option than steel shot. 

Offline Nhgrants

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2021, 04:23:41 PM »
I am just guessing but i would think that a smaller lead shot would out perfom a larger sized steel shot. Just thinking of my experiece with watetfowl hunting. Here in VT the max
Size for turkey is #2. I think #5 lead is a good compromise.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2021, 10:09:07 PM »
Air rifle BB shot will score the heck out of a barrel, first shot.  I have seen an old double with what looked like straight microgroove rifling from BBs.  A plastic shot cut designed for steel shot is absolutely necessary for steel shot.  Then there is the question why?  Steel shot is vastly inferior to lead shot even at very high muzzle velocities.  At BP velocities steel shot is nearly useless.  If it a question of shortages scrounge some lead shot, old shells?  Or, make lead shot using the short drop method.  Or, cut lead sheet into squares and tumble it with graphite to beat it more round.    Pretty much anything is a better option than steel shot.

I hadn't thought about the velocity deal, but you are absolutely right, Scota4570.  In modern loads, companies have increased the velocity to attempt to make steel shot work - it's still lousy,
even at 1,500fps or more. You will not get remotely close with black powder & especially in any load that will pattern, even with plastic steel shot cups.
With large diameter shot, there are too few pellets to be "effective".

Whatever is decided upon, patterning (checking the pattern) & load development is a must.
Daryl

Offline alacran

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2021, 04:15:34 PM »
More waterfowl has been wounded, died and not retrieved by steel shot than ever died from lead poisoning. Steel shot sucks.
Bismuth , Heavy Shot, and other alternatives are effective but very expensive compared to lead shot.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline John SMOthermon

• John SMOthermon
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2021, 03:26:19 AM »
2 ozs of bb’s & 2 ozs of # 6 shot..

I Loaded the bb’s into brown paper bag wrap, no glue or adhesive used.

Sometimes they would “slug” at 20 yards , sometimes not.

I dropped the experiment after discovering I couldn’t  use them for Turkey hunting...

Smo

Good Luck & Good Shootin'

Offline Daryl

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2021, 06:19:03 AM »
I suspect the paper only "sometimes" broke to release the shot. Other times, perhaps more range was needed.
Of coarse being illegal to hunt with, would solve that problem of patterning.
Daryl

Offline Notchy Bob

« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2021, 04:48:31 PM »
One other thing to consider in experimenting with steel shot (e.g. BBs intended for air guns) is that they are much more likely to "bounce back" than lead if they impact a hard surface.  Eye protection is a good idea.

Considering this in addition to all the other excellent points made in the posts above, I think steel shot in a muzzle-loading smoothbore would be for use as a last resort only.

Just my opinion...

Notchy Bob
"Should have kept the old ways just as much as I could, and the tradition that guarded us.  Should have rode horses.  Kept dogs."

from The Antelope Wife

Offline Sparkitoff

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2021, 09:56:01 PM »
I use BB's all the time. First, my muzzleloading shotgun has chrome lined barrels. Next, I use the Crosman or Daisy BB's with about 8 on top of #5 lead shot. At the range I patterned I would get one or more of those 8 on a turkey head or a goose body, which is my purpose. There are also totally lead BB's made for BB guns and pellet guns and some called Excite Smart Shot that are copper coated soft lead. These work great. The advantage to buying those over a bag of shot is the quantity and container. Shot = 25# in a burlap sack. BB's (made for airguns) = 2.2 pounds in a plastic jar with a pour spout.

Offline Waksupi

• Ric Carter, Somers, Montana
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2021, 10:38:23 PM »
are bb's safe to use in a smoothbore muzzleloader? does anyone use them for a stout turkey load?

I use 7 1/2 shot for a dense pattern for turkey. A single pellet in the head does the job.
Ric Carter
Somers, Montana

Offline Daryl

« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2021, 12:52:12 AM »
These are lead"

These are black coated steel.
It is possible, if other than Crossman, your black BB's are not steel.

Daryl

Offline Sparkitoff

« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2021, 01:26:40 AM »
I just took a Rio Grande Turkey with my 20 gauge.  Loaded with an ounce of #5 and seven Excite BB's on top (copper coated lead BB's). Usually I find one or two of the BB size pellets in a turkey head/neck at 20-yards or so. This one was shot at around 10-feet. There was one Excite in the head, two in neck and one in breast. I'm not sure why they tend to stay in the middle of the pattern other than they are heavier and maybe slower. Anyway, those BB's work good and I got them from Pyramid Air.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2021, 05:50:48 AM »
I don't know what make thelead BB's are, then. Yes, it is interesting that they are staying in the middle of the patern.  All the shot leaves the muzzle at pretty much the same velocity.
Due to the choke, there is quite a long shot string, especially with such a heavy shot charge.  The BB's, being heavier, will not slow down as quickly as the lighter pellets,  thus at any
range past point blank, they will be striking first &most likely, close-in as well.
Daryl

Offline Sparkitoff

« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2021, 10:59:20 PM »

Offline alacran

« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2021, 02:12:51 PM »
Have not seen it in quite some time but 25 lb bags of copper platted hard lead bb's were available. The pigeon shooters used to get nickle plated 7s.  There was a shop in Phoenix that used to cater to the pigeon shooters. Of course copper plated BB s are available in modern shotshells.

Offline 577SXS

« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2021, 03:20:12 PM »
I wouldn't shoot steel BBs in a muzzleloader even with a plastic wad. I looked on Ebay and those Gamo Round Fun BBs are $19.95 plus $7.95 shipping. You'd be better off buying a 25 lb bag of #1s or #2s lead shot from Roto metals or Ballistics Products. Lead #2s are wicked. I top my turkey load of #7s with 12 #2s.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2021, 06:20:03 AM »
Lead #2's will completely penetrate a goose shot at 70yards.  At 80yards, the penetration is still plenty good enough to kill them.
Loads started at 1,250fps.
They ought to work well on gobbler's heads at 10 to 30yards too, even if started 300fps slower.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 08:38:25 PM by Daryl »
Daryl