Author Topic: Horn spout  (Read 2310 times)

Offline Jim Spray

Horn spout
« on: March 18, 2021, 11:03:05 PM »
I finally got the shop set up and have been workin on this for a few days. It has been apart bent and re bent drilled and re drilled but I finally have it working the way it should. Just a prototype but I learned a bunch from doing it. Next one will be a little different. Don't ever move when you're 70 years old!! It took forever to get the new shop set up the way I wanted it.
Jim

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
Re: Horn spout
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2021, 01:13:41 AM »
 Looks Good to me, I wouldn't even try to make one, what of you got 7 or 8 pieces there multiply that by 10 and I may have the parts to try and get started.

Tim

Eseabee1

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2021, 01:16:11 AM »
Looks good I agree with Tim I would not even want to try to make one. Well maybe one out of horn  ;D

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2021, 03:04:17 AM »
Looks good.  That's something not on my bucket list. 

Ken
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

Offline Longshot

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2021, 01:11:24 PM »
Don't see one of those every day.
Very nice work.

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2021, 08:43:26 PM »
Nice work -- how about an end shot in the big end or more details -- i.e. thickness of brass sheet, lap or butt joint, soft or silver solder/braze. How do you plan on attaching it to a horn?
Many years back I made a few of the English Shot Flask charger head that has a quick cut-off gate and that was a chore to get it working properly also made them for powder dispensing. All were a lot of work for little return. :o :(
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline Jim Spray

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2021, 02:04:57 AM »
Nice work -- how about an end shot in the big end or more details -- i.e. thickness of brass sheet, lap or butt joint, soft or silver solder/braze. How do you plan on attaching it to a horn?
Many years back I made a few of the English Shot Flask charger head that has a quick cut-off gate and that was a chore to get it working properly also made them for powder dispensing. All were a lot of work for little return. :o :(

The brass is 20 gauge .032 butt jointed with silver solder. The one's I have are pined on to the horn. I have never put one on a horn. I don't build horns if I can help it.. I anneal the heck out of the brass and form it to the jig. I use a very small ball peen hammer and tap away until is gets to where I want it. The springs are made from a Briggs recoil spring.
Thanks,
Jim

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2021, 04:06:41 PM »
 Thanks Jim, neat to see the break down like that. What are the dimensions on it?

Tim

Offline Jim Spray

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2021, 05:38:22 PM »
Tim, The AOL is 1.810, base OD .920, tip opening is just over 1/4". That's the size of the two I have done so far. I'm sure the will all be a little different but not much.
Thanks,
Jim

Offline Jim Spray

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2021, 11:32:41 PM »
Some better looking ones.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2021, 05:25:51 PM »
Mighty fine.
Andover, Vermont

Eseabee1

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2021, 04:54:35 AM »
Some better looking ones.

They look great how did you make the spring or get them? Looking for a couple of springs like that for some horn container builds I have set my mind on making.

Offline hawkeye

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2021, 01:45:27 PM »
Those look very awesome to me, great job
Thanks for the great pictures and for sharing
Hawkeye