Author Topic: patterns with choke tubes  (Read 1777 times)

Offline RichG

patterns with choke tubes
« on: March 20, 2021, 06:15:15 PM »
I've been patterning a Pedersoli sxs with choke tubes and a T/C New Englander, also with tubes. Neither one will pattern as good as my North Star Officers fusil with a jug choke. Was wondering if anyone had any experience with tubes and bare shot? I don't want to use plastic wads , but will if it's the only thing that works.
Load for fusil is 90grs 1.5 O.E. .125 card lubed .5 wad 1 1/8oz #6 shot and a overshot wad. At 30 yds I'm getting 70 pellets in a 10" circle, will easily kill a turkey at 30 yds.
All the loads in choke tubes are blotchy and full of holes. The tighter chokes are more so than the more open chokes. Any Ideas?

Offline Daryl

Re: patterns with choke tubes
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2021, 09:56:27 PM »
If you've tried various load combinations with all the normal wad columns, time to try the abnormal wad columns
and even perhaps the Skychief load.
I've not much experience with screw-in chokes, just 2 types of standard chokes and the one jug choke I made.
I would not have thought screw-in chokes would shoot differently, just because they are screw-ins. Maybe you are
trying too-tight a choking.  My 20 bore shoots modified patterns with only an improved cylinder choke - standard wad column.
And, it's easy to load, due to the only slight choke. Perhaps in too tight a choke, wad damage is happening, getting them through
the choke.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2021, 10:02:32 PM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline RichG

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2021, 11:35:14 PM »
the full and x-tra full are to tight to load through. I use the imp. cyl. for loading and then screw in the tighter choke. Loading without a choke in barrel causes the wads to hang up on bottom of threads. I was wondering if the taper of the chokes is to abrupt and causing the pattern to be blown. I did pick up some 1f to try. might be a little more gentle on the shot.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2021, 03:53:32 AM »
Screw-in chokes are designed for plastic wads, if those chokes have normal cones and end-chokes.  Before the advent of screw-in chokes, chokes had somewhat more constriction
seems to me, with .040" being standard for full choke in 12 & 10 bore, thus a 12 bore full had a .690" muzzle, .040" tighter than .730", it's nominal size.  I think the choke constriction
for smaller gauges was less.  I do think IMP CYL was .005" for all gauges, though. 
Have you tried patterning with just the Imp. Cyl, choke?
In 20 bore flinter, mine shoots tight enough for turkeys to 30yds. and likely 40yards, using a mere 1 1/8oz. shot. More shot could be used.
Daryl

Offline RichG

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2021, 02:31:24 AM »
I haven't tried modified might be a good idea. No one has any wads locally, might have to try Ballistic products.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2021, 03:40:13 AM »
I've always ordered wads from www.trackofthewolf.com
Daryl

Offline FDR

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2021, 05:10:06 PM »
If you have not found this from Circle Fly you might want to read it. I see they only sell through dealers now, except! Bummer. Back when I hunted I bought direct.

https://circlefly.com/muzzleloaders

Fred

Offline RichG

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2021, 03:41:44 PM »
FDR   couple of useful ideas that I might try. thanks for the link. Found some Remington plastic wads to try also.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2021, 10:26:23 PM »
Rich - just be sure to put a barrier between the base of the plastic wad, and the powder.
1/8"thick hard card overshot wads work well for his.
Daryl

Offline moleeyes36

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2021, 01:39:21 AM »
the full and x-tra full are to tight to load through. I use the imp. cyl. for loading and then screw in the tighter choke. Loading without a choke in barrel causes the wads to hang up on bottom of threads. I was wondering if the taper of the chokes is to abrupt and causing the pattern to be blown. I did pick up some 1f to try. might be a little more gentle on the shot.

Have you tried 13 gauge fiber and over powder wads?  They load easier and don’t seem to negatively affect the patterns.

Don Richards
Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

Offline Daryl

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2021, 07:50:40 PM »
Track's 13 bore wads (circle fly, I think) are listed as being .720" in diameter, while the 12 bore are listed as .740".
Daryl

Offline RichG

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2021, 03:02:35 AM »
haven't tried 13 or 14 gauge wads . I've been using 1/4" felt wads for cushion wads as they load easily, and hold lots of lube if needed.