Author Topic: Morphy's "Albrecht" rifle  (Read 5185 times)

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
Re: Morphy's "Albrecht" rifle
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2021, 02:42:50 AM »
I'm sure I'd make a lot more money!

Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline spgordon

« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2021, 01:49:44 PM »
I very strongly suspect that this barrel was marked and toasted sometime post-1980s by someone who was a bit better.

I agree. I think it's nearly certain that this forgery dates to whatever period the Oerter rifles, with their barrel engraving (signature, date, and number), became of great interest to collectors.

I don't know exactly when that was. I'm aware that the Oerter rifles were known about for a long time. But when did they first begin to gain the reputation that they have today? How long after Rifles of Colonial America (published in 1980, which I assume is why, Eric, you used that date?)?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 01:53:45 PM by spgordon »
Check out: The Lost Village of Christian's Spring
https://christiansbrunn.web.lehigh.edu/
And: The Earliest Moravian Work in the Mid-Atlantic: A Guide
https://www.moravianhistory.org/product-page/moravian-activity-in-the-mid-atlantic-guidebook

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2021, 07:16:42 PM »
I agree, I think George's RCA books really were something of a 'game changer' in terms of people getting a better grasp on much of what is out there aside from the previous landmark work, which was Kindig.  It was also in the 80s and 90s that there was something of a small explosion of books by varied authors primarily focused upon good (for the time) photography, much better than what was used in either Dillon's books or Kindig's catalog.  So, while some "in the know" folks - primarily KRA associated - may have been very aware of Oerter and Albrecht and their attributed work prior to George's publications, I really don't think a lot of this stuff was even marginally known until he published RCA.

Bob has been at this longer than I for sure, and he may be able to offer more of a first-hand account of such things including what someone like Jack Brooks, who has likewise been at this a long time, may or may not have known.
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2021, 04:17:57 AM »
 “I know for a fact that some very expert faker has been re-engraving pieces, changing locks, making new stocks for old barrels, etc. I strongly suspect a certain person. One of his specialties appears to be taking perfectly good European arms and engraving American names on them”.

I believe this was the infamous Kimble Arms scandal during the 1930s.  Kimble, a dealer and purchaser for many famous and wealth collectors including Renwick, was notorious for hiring a certain engraver named Teff(?) who fabricated signatures and other engraving.  The forgeries and fakes are still in some major collections including the Smithsonian.  I believe the famous "Newtown" matchlock gun called the first gun made in America by the NRA, Smithsonian, and even Jess Melot is a Kimble fake.  In fact, a very bad and obvious fake but not when you want to believe it is real.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2021, 12:53:53 PM »
Teff's name was brought up in a discussion about this Germanic rifle a few years ago.  Seeing American sources for such a gun put out very big red flags regarding fraudulent signatures.  The poorly engraved letters in the barrel didn't do much for authentication either.   

Unfortunately I have been trying to convince the present owner of this piece that the barrel markings are bogus to no avail and our friendship has slipped a bit from his side of the line on account. 

Joel Hall

Offline WESTbury

• Marble Mountain central I Corps May 1969
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2021, 02:35:06 PM »
Is that engraving supposed to read "Lancaster" ?
"We are not about to send American Boys 9 to 10 thousand miles away from home to do what Asian Boys ought to be doing for themselves."
President Lyndon B. Johnson October 21, 1964

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2021, 07:08:53 PM »
Yes, Lancaster and the two letters before this are M M.

Joel Hall

Offline WESTbury

• Marble Mountain central I Corps May 1969
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2021, 07:27:34 PM »
Joel,

Is this fowler the Martin Meillin Fowler? I've read just about all of the old posts about Meillin and his rifle and fowler and have seen references to the fowler but no photos.

By the way, I understand that all things Meillin are Doctor Kettenburg's favorite subject.

Kent
« Last Edit: March 25, 2021, 01:55:18 AM by WESTbury »
"We are not about to send American Boys 9 to 10 thousand miles away from home to do what Asian Boys ought to be doing for themselves."
President Lyndon B. Johnson October 21, 1964

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2021, 07:35:42 PM »
Just me, but it's not worth loosing a friend over.....
John
John Robbins

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2021, 08:13:35 PM »
Yes, Lancaster and the two letters before this are M M.

(giggle) ::)
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2021, 08:21:18 PM »
Not me!  The Meillin/Meylin stuff is too blatantly ridiculous.   ;D ;D ;D