Author Topic: Boiling water, hot oil, or heat gun for horn?  (Read 1513 times)

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Boiling water, hot oil, or heat gun for horn?
« on: April 15, 2021, 05:57:13 PM »
What’s your favorite method for heating horn to make it pliable for fitting the butt plug to a form?  I used a heat gun last night for first time. Seemed ok but slow careful work.
Andover, Vermont

Eseabee1

Re: Boiling water, hot oil, or heat gun for horn?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2021, 06:17:05 PM »
I was lard for heating up my horns.  I seem to get better results. Now if I need to just heat up a band, or something quick I will use my heat gun.

Offline JBJ

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2021, 06:29:09 PM »
I have found boiling water to work fine for me. Conservative, as you can only get the water but so hot and I am less apt to get carried away with temperature and cause problems.
J.B.

Offline Top Jaw

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2021, 06:42:51 PM »
I don’t use Boiling water unless the horn is already basically round, because it only gets to 212°. Horn needs to get to 325-350 to permanently change its memory.  I have used a heat gun for horns that didn’t need a whole lot of rounding. I have also put them in the oven on a damp towel and a cookie sheet at 350 for the same purpose.

However, if they are more oval shaped, and need more adjustment, hot oil (or lard) is your best bet in my opinion.  Sometimes I have even sized horns twice that were really stubbornly oval. A “presizing” before I take the body or ridge thickness out - before final sizing.  It’s best to drill the pour hole in the tip first to let air escape as you dip the horn base in the oil. 

A good sizer is also important. I prefer those that are a little more bullet shaped for more oval horns- as they will go up inside the horn farther, without leaving a noticeable bulge in the sides after heating.   There is a sweet spot in heating the horn in oil to get it hot enough, but not overly hot and fry it.  I dip and swirl it in 5 second intervals until its soft enough, but not cooked.  You can also dunk a portion of the horn that is thicker for a few seconds first before putting the rest of the horn in the oil.  Wash with Dawn when your done.  Leave it on the sizer when your not working on it.  My lessons learned on the topic, FWIW.

A pic of a more oval horn that was rounded up as described.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2021, 06:58:18 PM by Top Jaw »

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2021, 07:14:22 PM »
 Never used lard, thought about it but water has always worked for me no matter what the shape to start. I have used a heat gun when coloring a horn with AF or to open the grain and get the stain in rather than on. Besides I do a lot of wood working and I'm pretty messy so I don't need any extra stuff spilled/dripped/splashed all over the place.

Tim

Offline Clowdis

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2021, 01:22:40 AM »
How do you get the lard or oil out of the inside so it doesn't foul the powder?

Offline Beaverman

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2021, 04:04:31 AM »
I use Crisco, 325 degrees, always have, always will, the good thing about Crisco or lard is it solidifies when when cooled down in my fry daddy and stores without a chance of spilling

Eseabee1

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2021, 04:13:53 AM »

I just wipe it out then before putting the horn together I always wipe down the inside and outside of the horn with denatured alcohol. 

Offline Beaverman

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2021, 04:17:28 AM »

I just wipe it out then before putting the horn together I always wipe down the inside and outside of the horn with denatured alcohol.

What Ed said, but I usually wash it with warm water and dish soap first

Offline Nordnecker

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2021, 02:03:26 PM »
FWIW- The last horn I made I let the oil get too hot. The horn moved easily but sort of crystalized afterwards. I ruined it and threw it away. The oil stunk so bad I tossed the pot and everything. Yuck.
"I can no longer stand back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify our precious bodily fluids."- Gen Jack T. Ripper

Offline John Proud

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2021, 03:11:25 PM »
If I am doing one or two horns I always use a heat gun. When I am doing a batch of small flat horns I use a fry pot with lard. No matter how careful I am, there is always a mess to clean up in the shop. Throw the whole batch of lard cover horns in a bucket with warm water and soap to clean them up.

Offline Longshot

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2021, 02:05:11 PM »
Boiling water and repeated testing has always served me well, regardless of horn thickness, density or shape.  Heat gun would be a second choice.  An oven experiment was a disaster. 
Top Jaw's suggestion about easing the inside shoulder of the sizing plug is sound advice.

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2021, 08:10:53 AM »
I have nowhere near the level of experience as some of the others posting here... But I use vegetable oil heated in a pan on a Coleman stove.

I will say, accept that at some point you're going to ruin a few. My first horn went off without a hitch, worked perfectly. But later attempts, not so well. Horns with thicker walls seem to be more troublesome... So some thinning might be recommended. And some horns, for whatever reason, are just more stubborn than others.

If I worked horn often I might be better at it. But no more than I do it I tend to forget what I learn and each attempt is another learning experience.

Mike

Offline T.C.Albert

• Global Moderator
    • the hunting pouch
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2021, 08:55:35 PM »
Horns for carving on water, horn not to be carved on oil at 325.
Tim A
"...where would you look up another word for thesaurus..."
Contact at : huntingpouch@gmail.com