Author Topic: .54 cal vs grizzly bears  (Read 18066 times)

Offline smylee grouch

Re: .54 cal vs grizzly bears
« Reply #100 on: May 05, 2022, 03:49:27 AM »
 ;D Good one Rich!  ;D Thats a " lame duck " for sure. :)

Offline Jeff Murray

« Reply #101 on: May 05, 2022, 07:31:56 AM »
Fun cartoon.  Reminds me of Larson's cartoons that often featured animals in human situations.  One I recall showed a bunch of bears in a campground throwing people at each other with on person smacked across the bears face.  Caption was "Food Fight".  Laughter is good.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #102 on: May 05, 2022, 08:50:50 PM »
Here's one I found funny.

Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #103 on: May 05, 2022, 10:57:56 PM »
I guess the guy's that failed at this endevour aren't talking.
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #104 on: May 11, 2022, 12:03:19 AM »
  After reading all these comments. I'd like to make two points.
 Number one is when you hunt something that is VERY Dangerous. Plus you choose to use a weapon that is marginally
 adequate for the job. Just so it supports your ego. YOU are putting your guides life in the balance. Something to consider.!!
 Last but not least. Why kill something that you are not going to eat.?
 Just so you can have a trophy to brag to your friends about or your name in a record book ?

I like hunting as much as anyone else. But the game I hunt I eat and use everything on that animal that's possible. JMHO
  Oldtravler

Offline Chocktaw Brave

« Reply #105 on: May 11, 2022, 02:03:07 AM »
I have eaten all the black bears that I have shot over the years. But not the grizzly bear, but taking out grizzlies in overpopulated areas helps the moose population! And I love to eat moose!
Nothing like a grizzly to get your adrenaline pumping! I’ve walked up on several while doing other hunting, luckily no sows with cubs.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #106 on: May 11, 2022, 10:15:46 PM »
My wife roasted a grizzly haunch roast for the Smithers Wild Game Banquet in about 1978. It was quite excellent and every bit as good as moose.
One of the guides, Ray Collingwood, I think was one of the first in line and removed the 'Grizzly' sign and put it under the large plate of slices. That
roast was one of the first serving plates emptied.
Daryl

Offline MJBush

« Reply #107 on: May 11, 2022, 10:25:59 PM »
Daryl, that Chuck Norris pic is very funny. Made me laugh out loud. Thanks.
Michael

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #108 on: May 12, 2022, 04:11:43 PM »
  Mountain lion is also very good..  Know that for a fact..
  Don't see why grizzly would be any different from black bear. They all eat the same things. If yeah kill it. Grill it...!  Oldtravler

Offline snapper

« Reply #109 on: May 12, 2022, 04:37:37 PM »
In 2009 I shot a grizzly.   Took a hunk of loin that night for supper.   I  dredged it in flour, fried in butter.   Tasted terrible.   You know how just about anything taste great after a long day of hunting and you are in the middle of the wilderness?   Not that night.   Had to get the water boiling for freeze dried again.

Fleener
My taste are simple:  I am easily satisfied with the best.  Winston Churchill

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #110 on: May 12, 2022, 08:46:00 PM »
Fleener:  grizzly meat is just like any other large game animal, in that the meat requires proper handling both in the field and in the kitchen.  All large game animal meat benefits from aging.
Many times, I've dined on moose tenderloin on the same day as the kill, and it is good, but nothing when compared to meat that has aged for the right length of time and at the right temperature.
Recently, at a big game feast sponsored by our local wildlife federation, I had the occasion to try both grizzly and elk, roasted in similar fashion, and the grizzly was by far the better meat.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Daniel Coats

« Reply #111 on: May 12, 2022, 08:51:25 PM »
Both of my Alaska guides on two separate trips said that grizzly was not edible and that it was too full of parasites to be considered safe to eat.
Dan

"Ain't no nipples on a man's rifle"

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #112 on: May 12, 2022, 10:24:40 PM »
Both of my Alaska guides on two separate trips said that grizzly was not edible and that it was too full of parasites to be considered safe to eat.

Actually it's likely true.  But hogs have parasites and they are eaten and enjoyed.  Proper handling & cooking takes care of any parasites either one may be carrying.  The only thing I know that cooking can't kill are the prions.  That's because prions aren't "organisms" but rather dangerous proteins.  They aren't "alive" in this sense just deadly.  Think mad cow disease, chronic wasting disease, etc.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline snapper

« Reply #113 on: May 13, 2022, 12:59:33 AM »
Bears are very likely to have trichinosis. The only thing that kills the trichinosis and makes the meat safe to eat is high temperature cooking.

Fleener
My taste are simple:  I am easily satisfied with the best.  Winston Churchill

Offline Chocktaw Brave

« Reply #114 on: May 13, 2022, 02:05:12 AM »
The best way I found to cook black bear is to pressure cook it and  can the meat. Comes out really super tender and taste like roast beef :) :

Offline DavidC

« Reply #115 on: May 13, 2022, 03:32:26 AM »

Actually it's likely true.  But hogs have parasites and they are eaten and enjoyed.  Proper handling & cooking takes care of any parasites either one may be carrying.  The only thing I know that cooking can't kill are the prions.  That's because prions aren't "organisms" but rather dangerous proteins.  They aren't "alive" in this sense just deadly.  Think mad cow disease, chronic wasting disease, etc.

On trichinosis in bears: http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=wildlifenews.view_article&articles_id=682

Abstract for a study from Canada: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/21719845/

In wild pork game compared to farmed: https://www.cdc.gov/parasites/trichinellosis/epi.html

Awareness and better food preparation practices have diminished trichinellosis in general but it is farming practices that have improved the safety of pork for consumption, though few eat it raw or rare.

It's all personal preference but it's not an apples-to-apples comparison with pork and bear and their respective risks. Also if you get trichinellosis at an advanced age it will probably be a contributing factor to the decline of activity that will eventually lead to your death. Is it really worth the risk?
http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=wildlifenews.view_article&articles_id=682

Offline Daryl

« Reply #116 on: May 13, 2022, 05:25:38 AM »
Garbage dump bears as well as hogs fed on garbage will have tricosolis.
Bears shot in the WILD will rarely, VERY rarely have the tric.
This info from a Dr. and big game guide who eats ALL his wild game rare to med. rare at the most. He's 80 now and can out bush walk most anyone on this forum no matter the age. His bloody stride is almost 1 1/2 yards. 6.5" still.
Daryl
Daryl

Bears are very likely to have trichinosis. The only thing that kills the trichinosis and makes the meat safe to eat is high temperature cooking.

Fleener
Daryl

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #117 on: May 13, 2022, 03:31:17 PM »
  Daryl more than likely the guides want to get out of the area
 as fast as possible. Before any more bears show up..
  Oldtravler

Offline DavidC

« Reply #118 on: May 13, 2022, 07:12:36 PM »
Garbage dump bears as well as hogs fed on garbage will have tricosolis.
Bears shot in the WILD will rarely, VERY rarely have the tric.
This info from a Dr. and big game guide who eats ALL his wild game rare to med.

Information from a man who made a decision before he looked at any information. He's completely and utterly wrong. The prevalence is GREATER in wild bears because they eat a more carnivorous diet. Polar bears, unfortunately notorious cannibals, are 100% infected.

My first link above has more information from Alaskan and Canadian studies but this has been known for a long time.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #119 on: May 14, 2022, 07:08:05 PM »
IF I were prone to stroll in the woods where such a fearsome creature belonged I would want the gun I had a few decades ago made by Rigby and it had 2 barrels.
Bob Roller

Offline Daniel Coats

« Reply #120 on: May 14, 2022, 09:29:23 PM »
You can kill a grizzly with a stick just ask Fred Bear. Odds are though unless conditions are perfect either your guide will have to finish it off for you or a wounded bear will get away. Most and Fred Bear would agree aren't found strolling down the beach and run in the same direction they're pointed until they run out of gas and die in plain view.
Dan

"Ain't no nipples on a man's rifle"

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #121 on: May 14, 2022, 09:51:59 PM »
  To add to this foolishness. I had a Sheriff's deputy stop by yeasterday.  Seems he is taking his family to Montana for a wilderness camping trip.
 He wanted my opinion on which handgun he should carry in case they had bear trouble. I tried to advise him not to but carry a rifle or shotgun. He was adamant that his choice of handgun was good enough.
 So I advised him to file off his front sight. He asked why..?
 I told him it wouldn't hurt that much when the bear  shoved it someplace....   Oldtravler

Offline Chocktaw Brave

« Reply #122 on: May 15, 2022, 07:27:10 AM »
You can kill a grizzly with a stick just ask Fred Bear. Odds are though unless conditions are perfect either your guide will have to finish it off for you or a wounded bear will get away. Most and Fred Bear would agree aren't found strolling down the beach and run in the same direction they're pointed until they run out of gas and die in plain view.
Tracking a wounded bear is no fun. I helped track a black bear that was Poorly stuck. Along the  way there was evidence that the bear had turned and stopped, waiting on us. We tracked for over a half mile, Down on hands and knees finding tiny specs of blood, never did find him, Blood trail Just ran out. And he was heading uphill.
IF I was to hunt Grizzly with a BP muzzleloader, it would be a double barrel, and the larger caliber, the better.

Offline Tacitus

• Starting Member
« Reply #123 on: May 15, 2022, 07:49:03 AM »

Offline Austin

• Austin Paul
« Reply #124 on: May 17, 2022, 02:57:09 AM »

NRA May issue of the American Hunter says all you need is a 50 and some pyrodex…. Where can I get one of those odd looking guns and some pyrodex?
Eat Beef