Author Topic: First Build Ever  (Read 7196 times)

macr0w

First Build Ever
« on: March 24, 2021, 01:19:29 AM »
Hey guys, I just logged in today and I'm going to post some pics of the progress as I assemble a kit that I just got last week.
As long as the mods will let me as this kit is to build a bp gun that is neither American or a long rifle.
I ordered the 1733 French Dragoon kit from Muzzleloader Building Supply.
I've begun sorting the parts and cleaning up the castings. I started to inlet the barrel but I haven't finished yet.
I'm going to ask some dumb questions probably.
My first question is this: Do I need to move the barrel back any more than this? (see pic)
This is where my breech plug is currently inlet. The lock has not been fit yet. I haven't done anything with the lock yet. This is just sticking it in the hole provided by MBS.
The stock came with some preliminary routing and inletting done for me. I understand that it's not too uncommon to have to push the barrel back a little more.
The breech plug will go back into the barrel for inletting. I just wanted to see how it lined up and if I could get it out.
I ordered a book and some other stuff that hasn't showed up yet so I'm going to ask you guys in the mean time.  ;D

macr0w

Re: First Build Ever
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2021, 01:44:00 AM »
I will be putting a touch hole liner in the barrel.  :)

Offline gunmaker

• the old dog gunmaker
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2021, 01:55:32 AM »
A number of books go into detail about the touch hole to pan layout. With a hole liner 1/4" I go fat 3/16" ahead a plug face. 
 If that stock is inlet for lock, adjust Bbl. to match 3/16" dim. give or take you can't move the lock.  Line the hole up with center of pan.
 And go to town.  I'm really interested in this build as I've got a lot of parts from MBS over years, never seen a pistol tho.    old dog
« Last Edit: March 24, 2021, 02:00:40 AM by gunmaker »

macr0w

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2021, 02:34:32 AM »
Yeah, I have "The Art of The Pennsylvania Long Rifle"  on the way. I will be reading thoroughly.  ;D

In the pic the breech plug is pushed back to it's current inlet.
The lock is pushed in as far as it will go until I inlet the hole some more.
I am also waiting on a spring clamp so I don't want to get to far ahead of myself.

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2021, 03:40:06 AM »
Two things you can do. First check out Mike Brooks tutorial on here. Yes he's building a rifle but it is all relative information. Second look up Josh Wrightsman
on U tube. He goes into good detail on breech plug details.
Hope it helps.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2021, 04:13:39 PM »
You have to fit the breechplug to the barrel first, then inlet the barrel and breechplug together and see where pan lines up with the installed barrel. I doesn't look like the barrel needs to go back but it might need to go deeper, you want the liner on the center line on the barrel side flat at the sunset position on the pan and centered in the pan. You can't determine this with the barrel out.

macr0w

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2021, 08:14:02 PM »
You have to fit the breechplug to the barrel first, then inlet the barrel and breechplug together and see where pan lines up with the installed barrel. I doesn't look like the barrel needs to go back but it might need to go deeper, you want the liner on the center line on the barrel side flat at the sunset position on the pan and centered in the pan. You can't determine this with the barrel out.
Yeah, as I said above I just pulled the plug to measure some things.
That's why I'm asking this question because where it sits right now the plug sits into the pan by 1/3rd or a 1/4th of it's width.
The touch hole liner is about 3/16th" in diameter.
How far into the pan should the plug threads come?

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2021, 08:30:42 PM »
Punch mark the barrel where you intend to locate the liner. Inlet the lock and then line up the barrel with the lock. Install the breech plug and finish inletting the barrel. The sequence for installing parts of a pistol are opposite a rifle.

macr0w

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2021, 09:21:44 PM »
Punch mark the barrel where you intend to locate the liner. Inlet the lock and then line up the barrel with the lock. Install the breech plug and finish inletting the barrel. The sequence for installing parts of a pistol are opposite a rifle.
Are you saying to mark the barrel just past the plug threads in the center of the flat, far enough to just clear the liner then inlet the barrel and lock to meet up at that mark?

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2021, 09:30:35 PM »
You will have to drill and tap the barrel for the touch hole liner. The punch mark will be the center and the same location as the vent hole when your finished. Where ever you want that to be.

macr0w

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2021, 09:31:38 PM »
You will have to drill and tap the barrel for the touch hole liner. The punch mark will be the center and the same location as the vent hole when your finished. Where ever you want that to be.
I know that.
Are you saying to do it first before inletting the barrel and lock?

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2021, 09:45:07 PM »
You can inlet your lock, then use the punch mark to inlet the barrel so the touch hole will be where you want it. If you don't know where to put the liner, just make sure the hole is close to the middle of the side flat and far enough forward so the threads aren't in the breech face. 3/16 ahead of the face will give you 1/16 clearance with a 1/4" liner after its installed. If you want more just move it forward more. Hope that cleared up my point.

macr0w

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2021, 10:01:33 PM »
Yeah, we're on the same page.
Thanks  8)

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2021, 10:10:05 PM »
If I use a small punch mark and things don't end up like I planned after the inletting is done I can move a punch mark if I want to move the touchhole.

macr0w

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2021, 10:21:35 PM »
I was trying to clarify because all the info I have read up to this point said to mark and drill the touch hole last.
Obviously I'm not going to drill it right now but if I just mark it I can always move it when I'm ready to drill.

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2021, 11:48:42 PM »
After you have some experience with inletting it will be less of an issue. Having a reference point on the outside of the barrel is a great benefit because you can see which way and how much you need to move.

macr0w

« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2021, 02:29:10 PM »
Thanks for sticking with me there.
I appreciate the advice.  8)

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2021, 06:35:08 PM »
No problem. :)

macr0w

« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2021, 02:00:12 AM »
This is where I'm sitting right now.
Any thoughts?

image uploader

Offline P.Bigham

« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2021, 02:14:30 AM »
Perfect drill out the touchhole to a no 51 drill bit and you’ll have excellent ignition. 
" not all who wander are lost"

macr0w

« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2021, 02:24:40 AM »

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2021, 09:10:28 PM »
Cut back on using the inetting black, a lot. :-\

Offline Daryl

« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2021, 10:49:28 PM »
It's coming along nicely.