Author Topic: Is this strong enough?  (Read 3139 times)

Offline Gene Slodysko

• Starting Member
Is this strong enough?
« on: March 24, 2021, 03:36:51 PM »
I apologize if similar questions have already been asked. I recently got a 20ga smoothbore for my daughter. She plans on hunting small game, mainly squirrels with it. I抦 using Old Eynsford 2f. This gun patterns really nice at 25yds. Load is 65gr, nitro card, felt wad, 1 1/4oz #6, overshot card. Is this strong enough to consistently penetrate thick/tough squirrel hide?

Offline RichG

Re: Is this strong enough?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2021, 03:49:40 PM »
In back of the Dixie Gun Works catalog, one of Turner Kirklands tests to see if your shot is going fast enough is to shoot a tin can. If the pellets will penetrate the can, your shooting hard enough. Your load sounds light for 1 1/4oz of shot, but the pattern is more important than a specific velocity.

Offline 577SXS

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2021, 09:07:26 PM »
A dram of powder is 27 grs approx. so you can judge charge by the dram. 65 grs would be 2.4 drams. With 1 1/4 oz of shot I'd say that's a pretty light load. I shoot 100 grs of 2F which would be 3.7 drams behind 1 1/2 ozs of shot in my 20 gauge.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2021, 10:14:29 PM »
I apologize if similar questions have already been asked. I recently got a 20ga smoothbore for my daughter. She plans on hunting small game, mainly squirrels with it. I抦 using Old Eynsford 2f. This gun patterns really nice at 25yds. Load is 65gr, nitro card, felt wad, 1 1/4oz #6, overshot card. Is this strong enough to consistently penetrate thick/tough squirrel hide?

With 65gr., I would think a lighter shot load of 1oz would be more appropriate, due to speed and light powder charge.  I would suggest 75gr. 2F with 1 1/8oz or 1 1/4oz.
and see or work towards getting that load to shoot tightly enough for squirrels.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Brokennock

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2021, 01:18:20 AM »
That's plenty, with energy and shot to spare.
I'm usually shooting 60 grains 3f and 1oz of #5 shot for squirrels, and could probably drop down another 5 grains of powder.
If it patterns well and she is comfortable shooting it, go with it.

Banjoman

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2021, 01:40:33 AM »
I used almost the same load (different wadding) to kill a bunch of squirrels this year. 

Offline Gene Slodysko

• Starting Member
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2021, 03:48:36 AM »
Brokennock and Banjoman,
            If you don抰 mind me asking, could you list you load column you guys use for squirrels? Do you think my load for my daughters gun would be effective at 25plus yds? Thanks

Offline Brokennock

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2021, 12:57:03 PM »
Brokennock and Banjoman,
            If you don抰 mind me asking, could you list you load column you guys use for squirrels? Do you think my load for my daughters gun would be effective at 25plus yds? Thanks
If it patterns well at 25 yards it should be fine at that distance, probably a little further, but patterning it further would be a good idea.

For squirrels I load powder, thin over shot card, lubed wad (either felt or a ball of "faux-tow"), shot (usually in a pre-made paper shot cup/cartridge), then a thin overshot card to hold it all in.

I haven't used the Skychief load for squirrels but I know some folks do. They are usually a close range game for me so I don't see a need for the tighter pattern.

Banjoman

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2021, 01:34:43 PM »
In my .62 caliber Fusil de Chasse I use 65 gr of 2f.  Over the powder I use a wad of wasp nest (about the size of a .62 caliber round ball or slightly bigger).  Then I use same measure for 65 gr of #6 shot.  Another wad of wasp nest goes on top of the shot. Both wads are tamped down just firmly enough to keep everything together.  I prime with the same powder.  I've used 3f also and can't tell much difference in the woods.

This combination patterns well out to about 25 yards and I haven't lost a squirrel yet.  Around 30 yards the shot spreads too much leaving holes in the pattern.  I stalk hunt for close shots and sometimes have to pass on the squirrels out of range.

I've tried a bunch of different wads including newspaper, brown paper, flannel, leather, felt, tow, jute, cardboard, leaves and grass.  The cards/wads mentioned in the previous posts work well and if they work for you there's no reason to do different.  I use wasp nest because it's supposedly a historically correct method, it's cheap and readily available and easy to use.  I didn't mention this to start another debate, just passing along my method.

I think the load combination you are using will work just fine.  I like the tin can (pop can) test.  It's about the same size as a squirrel and is a reactive target.  This keeps practice fun and realistic.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2021, 01:58:54 PM by Banjoman »

Offline Sparkitoff

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2021, 03:14:40 PM »
I shoot 1 ounce of shot with 70-80 grains of powder.  Usually #5 shot. My barrel patterns good there and most of the pellets go through. I don't think you'll have a problem with your load. Plenty of shot, good size and decent velocity.  My sons shoot squirrels regularly with a single BB or 7.4grain pellet going 650FPS MV and up to 20-yards. You've got way more than that heading towards the squirrel.

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2021, 06:02:11 PM »
A 20 bore will throw an ounce well enough for squirrels etc, with two drams of powder.   more powder May blow the pattern. 

More shot takes a bit more powder, but check patterns .

Best,
Richard.

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2021, 07:51:35 PM »
I think your shot amount is a bit much for the amount of powder. I would start with 1 oz. of shot with that amount of powder and go up to 1-1/8 oz. of shot along with an increase of powder. Size of shot will depend on the distance she will mostly be shooting at those squirrels etc.  My 2-cents worth ;D
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline Daryl

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2021, 09:40:14 PM »

I'm with Pukka Bundook & P.W.Berkuta on this subject.  I can "see" the 7.4gr. pellet working, as I used them as well, when I was a kid. The pellet is "times" heavier than a #4 shot, let alone 5 or 6.
"Pattern" is VERY important for squirrels at 20 to 25 yards. A squirrel standing on the ground is a much different (larger) target than one laying on a branch.
Daryl

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2021, 08:14:23 PM »

I would use #4 for squirrels. They can be really tough. But thats just me. Never shot a squirrel with a shotgun so take it for what its worth

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2021, 10:51:11 PM »
Nothin like takin a bite of squirrel to find a piece of buckshot. :o

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2021, 11:03:04 PM »

I thought yhe small shot was seasoning.Like Dphar said,I have never killed a squirrel with
a shotgun.
Bob Roller

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2021, 11:15:33 PM »
I did kill a very few squirrels long ago (teenager) and quickly decided rifles and handguns were much better for that purpose.  And to this day a turkey is the only game I'd go after with a smoothbore and shot.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
    • Verified Ladies  Prime 小asual Dating
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2021, 12:47:24 AM »
I started hunting as a kid for squirrels. I used a pellet gun. They didn't seem very tough to me. A small pellet to the head and a dead squirrel.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2021, 02:46:39 AM »
Can we stick to actually sharing helpful information on shot loads?
Andover, Vermont

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
    • Verified Ladies  Prime 小asual Dating
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2021, 03:55:47 AM »
It was my way of saying his load is strong enough.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2021, 09:09:21 PM »

You use buck shot for squirrels? They must be SOME tough squirrels.
Daryl

Offline walks with gun

« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2021, 04:18:51 AM »
   Buckshot is the general term for buckshot and only buckshot.   Birdshot would be a more general term.  And as far as the original topic goes, I think that should be a fine load for squirrel,  I use 70grs. of FFG and 7.5 shot in my 12 bore.