Author Topic: Use of copper in accoutrements  (Read 3334 times)

Offline Dale Halterman

• Global Moderator
Use of copper in accoutrements
« on: March 28, 2021, 10:00:13 PM »
How common was copper used to make such things as vent picks, chains, hangers, and so forth prior to 1850?

Got some used copper wire that needs a reason to be here. Any ideas on historically plausible uses for it?

Thanks

Dale H

Offline T.C.Albert

• Global Moderator
    • the hunting pouch
Re: Use of copper in accoutrements
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2021, 08:50:54 AM »
Forge brazing parts together for iron gun furniture.  Not exactly an accoutrement but it was a use. Would do the same for forged iron powder measures, tinder boxes, etc... I believe.
Tim A.
"...where would you look up another word for thesaurus..."
Contact at : huntingpouch@gmail.com

Eseabee1

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2021, 09:12:21 AM »
When I first started making horns. I made one and used copper as the pins. Put it on the judges table at Dixon’s was told. “ it was not used but could it have been ? Yes” I know that is about as clear as mud but that is what I was told since then I have not used any copper other then for a repair on a horn.

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2021, 08:48:09 AM »
I use copper Corby bolts sometimes to hold scales on knives.  Looks good on some of the darker woods, like English Walnut or Ironwood.  But - I am not trying to be period correct with any of them.  PC would mean not using epoxy, and I use the heck out of it.  Sometimes colored, most times not.  Very little evidence ever shows.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline Shopdog

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2021, 03:23:54 AM »
I cant speak from seeing copper “accoutrements” archaeologically or in collections but there would have been no shortage of copper sheathing and fasteners beginning in the late 18th century when the practice of cladding ships’ hulls became commonplace.  I worked on several early 19th century sites where we found such sheeting along with gun parts, tools, etc.  Point being the raw materials would have at least been available.
Joe Davis
“We live in a bloody swamp! We need all the land we can get!

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2021, 03:51:46 AM »
My James Gillespie rifle has copper RR pipes. Have seen other Gillespie rifles with copper sight bases and one other with copper RR Pipes that also had the maker's initials cut through in the one closest to the entry pipe (no entry pipe). If I remember right it was one of Harvey's G's rifles. Always wanted to try that but keep forgetting to.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Kevin

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2021, 04:58:53 AM »
I just recalled that in Madison Grant's "The Knife in Homespun America" there is a copper bladed knife.  Found it on page 144.  Its handle is made from a leg bone of a deer and is reported as being found in an Indian grave in Triggs County, Kentucky.

Kevin

Online wormey

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2021, 05:34:00 AM »
copper ramrod pipes are common on Jamestown, North Carolina made rifles.  wormey

Offline Not English

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2021, 08:52:14 PM »
This not exactly an answer to Dale's question. Copper was a major trade item amongst the natives in the upper midwest. Most of it came from northern Wi. and the UP. It was frequently used for artistic purposes.

10thumbs

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2021, 02:38:40 AM »
  John Small used copper to embellish some of his guns. He was active around 1800. Can't tell from lookin' though, as it turned as dark as the bbl.

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2021, 06:22:55 AM »
I just recalled that in Madison Grant's "The Knife in Homespun America" there is a copper bladed knife.  Found it on page 144.  Its handle is made from a leg bone of a deer and is reported as being found in an Indian grave in Triggs County, Kentucky.

Kevin

That would be Trigg County.  ;D
Psalms 144

Offline heinz

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2021, 06:41:30 PM »
Copper occurred in several trades, pot making, boat making, saddle making.  The copper rivet was used as a fastener in all of these trades.  The washer for the rivet was called a "rove" in boat making and a "burr" in leatherwork.  Copper was also used for the penny and half-penny coins. Silversmiths trained their apprentices on copper sheets (plate).  It was a useful material for repairs and copper wire is seen in period repairs on tool handles.  Iron rivets work best when the rivet is hot.  Iron rivets were preferred by blacksmiths, although they used copper, as well as brass, for brazing.  Copper rivets work fine when worked cold.  I have seen them in tinker's repairs on period pots and kettles. Paul Revere is said to have set up a copper rolling mill.  I would not be shy about using it on any homespun accoutrement.
kind regards, heinz

Offline Dale Halterman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2021, 02:24:35 PM »
Thank you everyone for taking the time to reply. So far, I have just used copper for rivets, but you have given me some other good ideas.

Thanks again.

Dale H

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2021, 05:24:41 PM »
 I had an opportunity to examine a heavily used and abused percussion converted flintlock longrifle years ago. Living in California most antique muzzleloaders that arrived during their working life, definitely show some signs of the trip. Also as soon as percussion caps became widely available on the west coast nearly every flintlock got converted, either by a gunsmith, or by pretty much anybody that said they could do the job. Truth is some of these folks were sorely mistaken. Copper did end up being a common medium for making filler plates, and plugging unwanted hole in lock plates when converting to percussion.
 I converted a modern import flintlock to percussion and filled the extra holes with copper wire of the proper size with the ends peaned down tight. I also soldered a spacer into the overly large cut out for the drum. I have also seen copper sight bases made from a copper penny.

Hungry Horse

Offline Kevin

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2021, 03:14:41 AM »
Greetings Everyone,

Just discovered this:  Pages 344 & 345 of Dr. Hopkins' "Bone Tipped & Banded Horns" Volume 1 shows a horn that has a 2 & 5/8 inch long, pinned, carved antler tip with a COPPER band at the base.  This is in the Southwest Virginia chapter.

Kevin

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2021, 09:56:39 PM »
I think I am going to find me some copper plate material for use in engraving practice.  I keep "skidding" the graver, or digging in too deep, also resulting in skidding.  Copper is softer than most brass, and is fairly easy to re-surface.

I plan to mount it to a wooden base, using jeweller's shellac sticks.  Comments ya or nay?  So far I am a terrible engraver, sometimes even in straight lines.  Photos rejected due to ugliness!
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline Dale Halterman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2021, 11:02:39 PM »
How about using aluminum? Should be cheaper than copper sheets.

Dale H

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2021, 01:50:58 AM »
The old Sheetz rifle I examined in E.M.Farris's gun shop had copper pipes to
retain the ram rod and they were soldered to the bottom flat and THEN they
went THROUGH to the ram rod groove and the rod tied the gun together and
it had an old Maslin,Philadelphia flintlock and no butt plate and the trigger guard
I am 99% sure was a screen door pull handle.I saw this gun about 65 years ago
and liked it a lot.
Bob Roller

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2021, 11:46:12 AM »
My only input would be that if you use copper with leather, you run the risk of green verdigris growing depending on the tanning of the leather.  Unsightly, and verdigris can be toxic if ingested. I have seen some beautiful leatherwork ruined by uncoated copper or brass fasteners or buckles.

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2021, 05:28:28 PM »
Dale - many thanks for a good idea.  If I were still building experimental aircraft, I could go crazy in either stock or cut-offs!  But yep, aluminum may just be the ticket,
Craig Wilcox

Offline Dale Halterman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2021, 11:47:15 PM »
My brother was a chemist and several years ago he was tasked with finding an improved coating for the inside of aluminum beer cans. For testing purposes in the lab, they applied the coatings to aluminum blocks maybe 4"x3"x1/8" thick. After the tests, they discarded them. He brought home all I could use for engraving practice.

Dale H