Author Topic: Original Flint Knapping Hammer?  (Read 2033 times)

Offline Top Jaw

Original Flint Knapping Hammer?
« on: March 25, 2021, 06:12:31 PM »
Got this at an auction a couple years ago. I believe it may be an original gun flint knapping hammer. Made of brass 5 inches long. Sculpted handle. Well made.  Like something that may have been part of a higher grade cased set.  Like a flint fowler or set of pistols.  Your thoughts?

Offline Collector

Re: Original Flint Knapping Hammer?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2021, 05:09:37 AM »
Q. Is the handle driven into the head to secure it in place? 

It has a screwdriver appearance to it and the hole in the bottom of the head appears to have minor gaps and doesn't appear to to be an exact fit, i. e., not cast as one (1) piece.

It certainly could be what you think it is given it's size. 

Q. Have you tried using it?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2021, 06:06:44 AM by Collector »

Offline Daniel Coats

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2021, 05:47:26 AM »
Looks like yours could be an original and certainly could be used as a Flint Knapping tool.

TOTW has one in their online catalog.

Dan

"Ain't no nipples on a man's rifle"

Offline Top Jaw

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2021, 07:21:22 PM »
Looked closer in better light.  Head has some engraving on it.  It is a rectangular handle attachment.  Similar to a screw driver head as stated, but not really tapered like one.  See pics.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2021, 07:24:36 PM by Top Jaw »

Offline Shopdog

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2021, 04:40:40 AM »
Top Jaw - that certainly looks like the real thing.  I recall European and British ones with similar head and filed decoration on the handle.  The only one I've ever found on this side of The Pond was at a flea market in North Florida 25 years ago.  As you can see by the pictures it is crudely made and has a flat driver bit on one end.  While I bought it alongside an original 19th-century powder horn I always figured it was made by a 20th century blacksmith/BP shooter.  Have often wondered who made it.
Joe

Joe Davis
“We live in a bloody swamp! We need all the land we can get!