Author Topic: Searching for the illusive Baker rifle lock  (Read 2537 times)

Offline lexington1

Searching for the illusive Baker rifle lock
« on: March 29, 2021, 05:19:48 AM »
Does anyone, besides TRS make castings or a complete lock for a Baker rifle? I need the flat, not the rounded version. I ordered a set of castings from TRS about a month and a half ago. They said that they were in stock and would send them out right away. I called a couple weeks after placing the order, thinking they might have been lost in the mail, but they had not sent them out yet. I was assured again that that they would be sent right away. I can understand waiting if they have not cast the parts yet, but I was told they had them and would ship them quickly. Frustrating. I would not have started on this Baker rifle until I had everything if I would have known. I know I am venting my frustration, but if anyone has any leads on one of these locks I would be appreciative.

Offline flinchrocket

Online smart dog

• Global Moderator
Re: Searching for the illusive Baker rifle lock
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2021, 02:27:18 PM »
Hi,
Your best option right now is to be patient and wait for TRS.  Blackley also has castings but if you think TRS is slow, Blackley will cure you of that notion in comparison.  Peter Dyson in the UK also sells castings for Bakers I believe.  I don't know if they are any faster.

dave 
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2021, 03:55:19 PM »
I waited 9 months for two sets of external castings for left and right flintlocks
from TRS and have heard nothing good about delivery time from any of the
English companies.
Bob Roller

Offline lexington1

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2021, 06:14:28 PM »
Thanks for the replies. I was afraid this would be the answer. I have ordered lots of stuff from TRS but this is the first time I was told that they had the stuff and just didn't send them. I ordered a set of Brown Bess parts from Blackley and it actually came in a fairly quick manner so maybe I'll try them too. Maybe I will send for castings from them and use whichever shows up first.  :P

Offline Niall

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2021, 06:16:53 PM »
If TRS have them in stock you'll get them soon enough..Their parts set is easy to work and will give you a very nice lock....Also a bit easier to heat treat than  Blackleys.  As Dave says,a bit of patience will get you sorted.

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2021, 07:32:48 PM »
Hey, if you get tired of waiting, I have a barely used nice condition original flat face Baker lock,,,,  :)
John
John Robbins

Offline lexington1

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2021, 07:39:34 PM »
Hey John, what do you want for it?

Offline lexington1

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2021, 07:41:34 PM »
If TRS have them in stock you'll get them soon enough..Their parts set is easy to work and will give you a very nice lock....Also a bit easier to heat treat than  Blackleys.  As Dave says,a bit of patience will get you sorted.

I guess I will have to be patient. I have never worked with Blackleys steel castings, only their brass parts.

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2021, 08:40:52 PM »
Here's a couple pictures. The finish is mottled, but no pitting. Everything is as original. The frizzen screw slot is a bit worn. Given it's just a single lock, it could have a nice refinish to look like new.
I've cocked it, but not snapped it, and the main spring is plenty strong! I paid $495 for it, and you can have it for the same.
Click on the image for a larger view.

d20 dice online
John Robbins

Offline lexington1

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2021, 09:01:18 PM »
You're still my hero! I will take it. PM sent

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2021, 09:06:43 PM »
I'm happy this lock is finally going to a good use!

PM sent!
« Last Edit: March 29, 2021, 09:35:26 PM by JTR »
John Robbins

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2021, 10:25:15 PM »
A bit off topic but I called TRS this morning, talked with Jane, placed an order and checked on a back ordered part.  They are shipping out a set of lock castings to me this week.  My last couple of dealings with them have been very good.  They keep getting better.
David

Offline Niall

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2021, 10:43:04 PM »
Here's a couple pictures. The finish is mottled, but no pitting. Everything is as original. The frizzen screw slot is a bit worn. Given it's just a single lock, it could have a nice refinish to look like new.
I've cocked it, but not snapped it, and the main spring is plenty strong! I paid $495 for it, and you can have it for the same.
Click on the image for a larger view.

Great lock....good as new....it pays to ask questions on this forum. ;)...BTW, what's the hole in the lockplate below the 'BAKER'........Does it allow you to fix the mainspring so as to disassemble the lock??
« Last Edit: March 29, 2021, 11:31:50 PM by Niall »

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2021, 11:43:12 PM »
Niall, That's my understanding. Cock it, pin it, remove the works minus the main spring.
There's another hole right below the frizzen screw, best seen from the back side. From reading, it seems that's a safety of sorts. Depending on the position of the frizzen, a pin could be set through the hole, thus keeping the frizzen from snapping open, or from being closed.

I read up on these locks many years back, so might be a bit fuzzy on some of the above!  :P
John Robbins

Offline Niall

« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2021, 11:55:06 PM »
John.

I just checked a couple of my reference books and I see the exact same lock with the two 'cramping' holes which date it to 1802-1818.That lock should also have a fly detent  on the tumbler....nice 8).

Offline lexington1

« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2021, 11:58:57 PM »
I hope your stuff gets sent out in a timely manner. She told me twice that this was in stock and would be sent out the following Friday. I too have had positive experiences with them when they have said that the items were in stock, but this is a new experience. I'm probably expecting too much I guess. By the way, I like the priming horn that I got from you!

A bit off topic but I called TRS this morning, talked with Jane, placed an order and checked on a back ordered part.  They are shipping out a set of lock castings to me this week.  My last couple of dealings with them have been very good.  They keep getting better.
David

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2021, 12:24:05 AM »
John.

I just checked a couple of my reference books and I see the exact same lock with the two 'cramping' holes which date it to 1802-1818.That lock should also have a fly detent  on the tumbler....nice 8).

Well Niall, I can't say as the lock is in the mail now. But with all that good info, I should have charged Wes more for it!!!  ;D ;D
« Last Edit: March 30, 2021, 02:30:22 AM by JTR »
John Robbins

Offline lexington1

« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2021, 12:39:36 AM »
You should have charged me more for that early rifle, as much as I enjoy it, but too late!

Offline Niall

« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2021, 12:48:40 AM »
Wes

TRS have a copy of this Improved Baker Lock as well as the more usual Flat  Faced Baker Lock......Might be interesting putting one of those together seeing as you will have an original to compare it to.....http://therifleshoppe.com/catalog_pages/english_arms/(792).htm

Offline lexington1

« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2021, 01:10:10 AM »
Now that's a great idea! I didn't know that they had this.