Author Topic: Pin drilling aids  (Read 3594 times)

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
Pin drilling aids
« on: March 30, 2021, 06:02:03 PM »
We developed this process for our kits, but you might find it useful for other builds as well.  Check it out.

Offline T*O*F

Re: Pin drilling aids
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2021, 07:07:54 PM »
Jim,
It might be well to mention that when the drill bit breaks thru the tab, it often leaves a raised section on the off side.  This is especially true of brass.  When the novice builder goes to remove the part, if not done carefully, a chunk of wood will be ripped out of the stock.  Since your inlets are very tight, this could be a problem for them, especially on the slender forearms when removing the thimbles.  Once removed, it should be carefully filed smooth again.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2021, 07:19:36 PM »
I hope you have an abundant supply of #55 drill bits available.  I see a lot of guys breaking that drill bit, especially as it catches the small burr upon exiting the tab.
David 

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2021, 07:45:59 PM »
These things just keep getting better :) :) :)

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2021, 08:08:57 PM »
Jim - your attempt to make your kit assembly "fool proof" is commendable and with these added "aids" this will help 95% of the kit builders during this phase of the assembly.  Previous comments do raise some valid points but you can't solve every possible issue that may be encountered.

P.S. I do hate those keyless chucks even the expensive drills have issues.
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2021, 08:10:26 PM »
VERY nice, Jim!  Perhaps you might sell these as kits to help those who do not build a Kibler model flintlock.

You are really modernizing the world of yesterday with all of your innovations.  Quite the business man, you are!
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2021, 08:43:09 PM »
Thanks.  We've built our business on making an enjoyable gunbuilding experience for customers.  Continual focus on this means success for those assembling our products and ourselves! 

Interestingly enough, I've used one of these fixtures to assemble dozens of rifles.  I've not broken one of the drill bits!  It has just worked very well.  Perhaps I've been lucky ;)... 

As time goes on we want to make the whole assembly process as smooth and seamless as possible.  More neat things to come!

Online Dave Marsh

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2021, 09:36:31 PM »
That looks great Jim.  I second the quite a businessman you are....Nice sneakers by the way. 
"Those who give up freedom for security deserve neither freedom nor security."
~ Benjamin Franklin

Offline Daniel Coats

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2021, 10:21:02 PM »
Great idea! Would have kept me from ruining a fowler barrel back in 1978. Keep em coming! :)
Dan

"Ain't no nipples on a man's rifle"

Online ScottH

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2021, 10:25:33 PM »
Nice!
I would buy one of those if I had the chance.  8)

Offline Stillwater Dan

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2021, 12:45:00 AM »
Thats one heck of a nice tool to throw into a kit , and to have for future project's . I can't wait to try it out Jim , first i'll have to order my SMR .

Offline wapiti22

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2021, 01:57:40 AM »
I have a kit on order so I'll be getting one.

Offline mountainman70

• USAF vet 1971-1972 malmstrom afb,montana
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2021, 04:37:51 AM »
Why not just indicate the hole to be drilled in the guard, remove guard, drill hole in the guard  out of the stock, dress the burrs, and reinstall in stock and finish drilling thru? OR while guard is out being seperatly drilled, go ahead and drill on thru t'other side, then install guard? Looks like a neat tool to have for sure. best regards, Jim and all. Dave F 8) 8)

Offline Bob Gerard

• Powder Horns and Such
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2021, 05:12:00 AM »
That's a really great addition to the kit. I did your Colonial and happily the holes were already drilled. I have a SMR on order so this video is very helpful.
Question about the tap: The lock plate comes drilled and tapped, or drilled and not tapped (or neither)? If tapped then are you re-tapping it? A bit confused.
Thanks!

Offline Fly Navy

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2021, 08:21:10 AM »
Jim, I have a couple of your kits and I don't have this tool set. Will I be able to buy this tool?

Offline Kmcmichael

« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2021, 01:30:01 PM »
Does anyone else have the fear they are going to buy anything Jim Kibler comes up with. My SMR should arrive next month and I am already looking for an excuse to order the colonial. Maybe I’ll put in for an elk tag somewhere. If the .40 won’t knock down the steel plates at 100 I will get one in .50

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2021, 03:33:36 PM »
 That's a pretty neat set up. I think the problem with people breaking bits is that they try and push the bit through, end up losing the 90deg angle and snapping them off. Let the bit do the work, go slow and back out often to keep chips from binding and causing the bit to break off.

Tim C.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2021, 03:43:53 PM by Tim Crosby »

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2021, 03:39:37 PM »
Why not just indicate the hole to be drilled in the guard, remove guard, drill hole in the guard  out of the stock, dress the burrs, and reinstall in stock and finish drilling thru? OR while guard is out being seperatly drilled, go ahead and drill on thru t'other side, then install guard? Looks like a neat tool to have for sure. best regards, Jim and all. Dave F 8) 8)

You can use this method and with care it can work fine, but there is more chance of the hole not ending up where you want it.  In the process of spotting it, removing the part and drilling it outside the gun the hole can end up moving.  If the hole moves, all kinds of bad things can result!  Spotting and drilling of the gun is actually the method we suggested, prior to this drill jig method, but we did see assemblers having a fair amount of difficulty.

Thanks,
Jim

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2021, 03:42:11 PM »
That's a really great addition to the kit. I did your Colonial and happily the holes were already drilled. I have a SMR on order so this video is very helpful.
Question about the tap: The lock plate comes drilled and tapped, or drilled and not tapped (or neither)? If tapped then are you re-tapping it? A bit confused.
Thanks!

Sometimes the tapped hole in the lock or trigger plate doesn't line up perfectly and the bolt doesn't want to start.  If you run the tap through the stock and into the tapped hole it will ensure good alignment and the lock or tang bolts will install much easier.  Oftentimes this step isn't necessary, but it sure can help you out if you are having trouble.

Jim

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2021, 03:43:19 PM »
Jim, I have a couple of your kits and I don't have this tool set. Will I be able to buy this tool?

Send me an email or give us a call and we'll get you fixed up. 

Thanks,
Jim

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2021, 03:47:19 PM »
Thats one heck of a nice tool to throw into a kit , and to have for future project's . I can't wait to try it out Jim , first i'll have to order my SMR .

We agree, these included tools cost us $10-15 per kit.  It would be easy to pocket this money.  When you are selling hundreds or thousands of kits per year dollars like this realy add up and can cause you to hesitate, but we are committed to making the experience as positive as possible for those who have purchased our products.

Thanks,
Jim

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2021, 05:57:42 PM »
  Jim first you make fantastic kits. You are no doubt a fanatic
on customer satisfaction !
 Which with some companies that is not their priority.
 I commend you on your hard work an the way you care about your product an customers..!!
  Oldtravler

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2021, 06:43:54 PM »
  Jim first you make fantastic kits. You are no doubt a fanatic
on customer satisfaction !
 Which with some companies that is not their priority.
 I commend you on your hard work an the way you care about your product an customers..!!
  Oldtravler
I agree. Jim is doing an amazing job making kit building accessible for newbies. That is an undertaking most of us would run from even if we had his ability.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Bob Gerard

• Powder Horns and Such
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2021, 03:45:04 AM »
Kibler Flintlocks really has exceeded every expectation that I could think of. Yours is a wonderful Company, Jim, and I think we are all very lucky (and grateful) that you have brought this business to where it is today, and onward.

Offline Nessmuck

« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2021, 06:05:15 AM »

image uploader

Mr Kibler.....when you CNC one of these....I’ll be the first in line.  44 inch barrel too.