Author Topic: Is this a custom build?  (Read 2165 times)

FCZach

Is this a custom build?
« on: March 31, 2021, 06:50:37 AM »
Thanks for the add! I was asked by a friend to help him figure what this rifle is. Without any visible markings I blindly searched for hours, scrolling through hundreds of images but couldn't find anything similar. I asked a couple buddies but nothing. . So that brought me here, I'm curious if any of y'all might know? My guess is that it's a custom build. I did pull the foregrip off with hopes of finding proof marks and although there are some numbers, I don't think they mean anything. Regardless, it's a beautiful piece.

Thanks in advance, any leads would be greatly appreciated!

Here's some images:

Offline foxm2015

Re: Is this a custom build?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2021, 02:50:28 PM »
Possibly an early version of a Pecatonica River Longrifle Supply Allen Box Lock rifle Stock / Components build?

Offline snapper

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2021, 03:29:36 PM »
I have seen a action like this not that long ago on auction.   Not sure which auction house.   Did a quick look and could not find it.

It is not a Allen action.

Fleener
My taste are simple:  I am easily satisfied with the best.  Winston Churchill

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2021, 05:38:47 PM »
I went back and checked my guns.  I erred on my ID.  Your action is the Henry action, not the Whitney one.  I have changed the info below.

At the end of the civil war, manufacturers had a large surplus of musket barrels in inventory.  They bored them smooth and attached them to a proprietary boxlock action of their design.  The result was an inexpensive shotgun that could be marketed.  These are often mis-identified as Wesson actions, but they aren't.

That particular action is a Henry as identified by the screw on sideplate that covered the internals.  I have 2 of them.  They were made from 1866-1869.  I have no further info on this model.

Whitney made a similar action but the sideplate screwed into the action and Remington had one with a center hung hammer (Remington's 1st inline)

As an aside, the internal configuration of Pete Allen's boxlock closely resembles the internals of an Iver Johnson Arms and Cycle Works Champion shotgun made around the turn of the 20th century.  I also have one of those and it was $16 when new.

Top to bottom:  Henry, Whitney, Remington

« Last Edit: March 31, 2021, 07:15:37 PM by T*O*F »
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline johngross

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2021, 05:46:07 PM »
The barrel likely came off a breech-loader. The "32 40 B" would represent the 32-40 Ballard cartridge. And the four digit number of 8670 matched the serial number of the frame from which the barrel came from.

FCZach

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2021, 06:51:00 AM »
That's great info, thank you all!