Author Topic: Gerald Neaves on the blog  (Read 2590 times)

Offline louieparker

Gerald Neaves on the blog
« on: March 31, 2021, 04:34:29 PM »
We have discussed Gerald Neaves's made rifles here before...Go to the Contemporary Makers Blog spot to see his outstanding work on a Famous North Carolina rifle....http://contemporarymakers.blogspot.com/    Louie

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
Re: Gerald Neaves on the blog
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2021, 08:22:12 PM »
Gerald is a very fine builder that I am glad to say I call a friend. I have had the pleasure of meeting some very fine craftsmen and builders over the years but none more talented than Gerald. Just in case you missed it the rifles pictured in the blog are miniatures. I struggle to make a full sized rifle that looks good, his miniatures if you did not know better, from the pictures look like full size guns. Well done Gerald, and as the Coona$$ King of Bayou LaFourche likes to say " if the Lord is willing and the creeks don't rise" I will be seeing you in a few weeks at the TN show.
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline Rajin cajun

• Ragin Cajun
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2021, 11:07:46 PM »
Here is a rifle built by Gerald . The only thing he purchased was a bbl. and he draw filed it to swamp profile himself. That is the only thing he purchased! He cut the tree down the stock came from, hand made every other part including lock, mounts, all screws and bolts, sights. But he is just as easy going
As he looks, and a great friend and Southern Gentleman. I’ll post one picture that Jan and Art took and a link to their sight, y’all enjoy....!  Who knows Gerald may get a pedigree yet!!

It’s not the size of the dog in the fight, it’s the size of the fight in the dog !

Offline Carl Young

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2021, 11:17:34 PM »
I met Gerald at Jim Parker's show. He has been kind enough to share his knowledge with me on a couple of period pieces. One of my favorite memories is when I was asking folks about a fowler and said I had already had one expert look at it. The person I was talking too said "Oh yeah, just who is this expert?" in kind of a condescending way. I replied "Gerald Neaves", and the person quickly admitted I had asked one of the best. To me the best part of shows are the people...visiting with Gerald, Bob, Wayne Elliot (RIP) and a long list of others has been invaluable and is the most enjoyable part of our hobby.

Hoping you are all well.
Carl
Already long ago, from when we sold our vote to no man, the People have abdicated our duties; for the People who once upon a time handed out military command, high civil office, legions — everything, now restrains itself and anxiously hopes for just two things: bread and circuses. -Juvenal

Offline Rajin cajun

• Ragin Cajun
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2021, 11:29:38 PM »
Here is Gerald Neaves at Jim Parker’s Show Jan.2020 , another of his full sized rifles and his miniatures, most people know Gerald as a collector not many know of his ability as a fine rifle builder. The unfinished miniature is the last one he started, but eye problems would not let him finish it. But it will remain that way, and is a proud part of my wife’s miniature collection !

It’s not the size of the dog in the fight, it’s the size of the fight in the dog !

Offline Clowdis

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2021, 04:14:26 PM »
I remember seeing Gerald back in the 70's at a Winston Rifles match. He was shooting an original flintlock mountain rifle in .58 caliber (I think) and did very well with it, although it would only fire about every third time. Wonder if he still has that rifle?

Offline Hlbly

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2021, 10:50:16 PM »
It belongs to my son now. Shot a 50-2X in the Buffalo match at that shoot. One hole group.

Online Stoner creek

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2021, 11:02:50 PM »
I saw one of his guns in the Roughton Collection that I would have liked to own. Someone else is its happy owner now.
Stop Marxism in America

Offline Hlbly

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2021, 12:37:24 AM »
My son owns that one also.

Offline Clowdis

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2021, 02:25:21 AM »
It belongs to my son now. Shot a 50-2X in the Buffalo match at that shoot. One hole group.

Yep, that was it. I was trying to win the same match. Good to know that rifle is still in the family!

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2021, 02:56:28 AM »
 8) 8)... always great to see Gerald's smiling face,... probably has forgotten more about E. TN - W. NC  mountain rifles than I will ever learn,... I trust his opinions,... See you in Knoxville,.. !!! ... CCF

Offline Rajin cajun

• Ragin Cajun
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2021, 11:58:55 PM »
Louie these are some of Gerald Neaves miniatures in my wife’s collection.The iron mounted rifle is a copy of the Stephen Crain rifle. The second is a incised carved Penn. rifle. Stripe is real and in proportion to scale on Penn. rifle. Third rifle is unfinished, he started building it for us and his eyesight failed and he was unable to finish.
Bob

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2021, 03:43:40 AM »
Great photos of really neat rifles Bob, thanks for posting them.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Nicolangu

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2021, 01:20:26 AM »
Gerald's rifles are awesome as the blog you shared. I'm still making my own blog related to gun discussions and I hope I will be able to share with you some articles soon. There are not many gun related blog post on Google and I think it's a great opportunity for me to fill that gap. Of course, you have to be very careful with what you write about such a sensitive issue due to all the shootings recently in our communities. Starting a blog spot of my own has been a big dream as I read a lot of different sites and I have gained knowledge over the years on most of the topics that I have to cover.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2021, 01:23:13 AM by Nicolangu »