Author Topic: Swabbing with Tow ??  (Read 1761 times)

Offline Nessmuck

Swabbing with Tow ??
« on: April 01, 2021, 07:25:56 AM »
When shooting a bare ball....and it’s time for a swabbing ...do any of Yinz use tow on a worm ?  Just wondering what is the proper method . Is the Tow just used dry or is it wet.....then followed by some dry tow ? Thanks !

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
Re: Swabbing with Tow ??
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2021, 02:12:05 PM »
Yes and here is a good guide by our late member Nate McKenzie (RIP): https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=24312.0

Nate used hot water but I think cold water is best considering possible flash rust from the hot water.
Dennis
« Last Edit: April 01, 2021, 02:15:08 PM by Dennis Glazener »
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Nessmuck

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2021, 04:39:32 PM »
Thanks Dennis....I was thinking more of swabbing at the range ...after 5 bare ball shots in the Smoothbore ,with tow. Thanks Ness

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2021, 05:14:28 PM »
I’ve found that I can keep a damp tow swab on a worm and use it repeatedly without changing it to keep loading smooth all the way to the breech. It gets crusty but works to remove the fowling ring that builds up sometimes.
Andover, Vermont

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2021, 10:55:54 PM »
I know this doesn't help at all with this thread, but I have never had to swab ever during a day's shooting...what crust ring?
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2021, 01:48:45 AM »
If you shot bare ball as the OP did, you might have to periodically swab with something.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2021, 02:35:33 AM »
This is my experience with my smoothbore, shooting paper cartridges [ not bare ball ,but the solution may be of interest ]    With my .62 smoothbore , I load a paper cartridge containing 100 gr of FFg
I tried dipping the ball end of the cartridge in a beeswax/ bear oil mix, but that really didn't do much for the fouling, and also allowed the cartridges to pick up dirt, so I stopped doing that. Now it's just the paper and that works fine. I can load and shoot 5 or more without too much trouble loading, but the smoothbore doesn't have anywhere for the fouling to go, so it does get difficult in the 5 to 10 range. At that point , I load a sopping wet patched ball, and fire.  That seems to work as well as a swabbing, and I don't have to change/add  tips on my ram rod. If you are at a bench I suppose you could have two rods with you to save the trouble, but my worm fits on the narrow tip of the rod that is in the stock, so this is simpler than digging in my bag and installing it.

Offline Mike_StL

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2021, 04:08:44 AM »
When I shoot my Brown Bess, either blanks during reenactments or with ball during Woods Walks, I have a ball of tow tied to a length of linen thread.  Especially on the Woods Walks, when I am going between stations after firing the Bess, I will spit on the ball of tow to dampen and wrap it on the tulip of the ram rod. The tow is pushed to the breech.  I have the string to pull the ball of tow out if it comes off the tulip.  The ball will get thoroughly covered in fouling but it is still capable of removing fouling and keeping the Bess easy to load. 

Offline Daryl

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2021, 04:49:52 AM »
This is my experience with my smoothbore, shooting paper cartridges [ not bare ball ,but the solution may be of interest ]    With my .62 smoothbore , I load a paper cartridge containing 100 gr of FFg
I tried dipping the ball end of the cartridge in a beeswax/ bear oil mix, but that really didn't do much for the fouling, and also allowed the cartridges to pick up dirt, so I stopped doing that. Now it's just the paper and that works fine. I can load and shoot 5 or more without too much trouble loading, but the smoothbore doesn't have anywhere for the fouling to go, so it does get difficult in the 5 to 10 range. At that point , I load a sopping wet patched ball, and fire.  That seems to work as well as a swabbing, and I don't have to change/add  tips on my ram rod. If you are at a bench I suppose you could have two rods with you to save the trouble, but my worm fits on the narrow tip of the rod that is in the stock, so this is simpler than digging in my bag and installing it.

Exactly what I do when shooting paper ctgs. in my .69 rifle, with it's 165gr. moose load- after 10 shots. Those 10 shots are just as accurate as patched round balls and when I was practiced, I could shoot, then load and shoot an aimed shot in 8 seconds after the first shot.
Paper ctg's  in large bore rifles rule and looking at Bob's February smoothbore target, they rule in smoothbores as well.
Daryl

Offline Nessmuck

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2021, 05:02:03 AM »
[/quote

Any good you tube videos on making paper cartridges ? Sounds interesting

Offline Daryl

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2021, 09:39:14 PM »
I am not aware of any Nessmuck, however this chart from the 17th century should give you the general idea.
I like a tapered wooden mandrel or form, as the ctg. is easier to handle, always sits in the pocket ball down,
pointy end up. When biting off the small end, there is little to no powder waste, whereas with the large end
there is spillage.
Bit the end off, stick the small end into the muzzle. By the time you get the rod out of the pipes, all the powder
will be drained. Ram the now paper patched ball down and the ctg. paper will compress between the powder
and the ball and form a seal. My paper ctgs. for my .69 are a tight fit and I need to choke up on the rod to get
them started, however once started they go down easily.
I do not tie my paper ctgs. They are secured with white glue.
They shoot with the same accuracy as-do cloth patched balls from my rifle.
With the tapered paper ctg. the pointy bottom is sealed with a drop of glue, the powder poured in and then the ball is dropped onto the powder, the top folded
over and glued - done.
The first picture is a string-tied minnie for a .58 with the base folded.
The next one, a drawing, is of the issue British ctg. tied with string, under the ball as well as the bottom.
The next drawings, are the making of the French paper ctg for the .69 muskets. I assume the paper ctgs. for the American muskets followed these instructions
as the ctgs. were meant for the more or less French-designed guns.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2021, 04:43:08 AM by Daryl »
Daryl

Offline Nessmuck

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2021, 04:25:40 AM »
Thanks Daryl.....will have to experiment !