Author Topic: Patch box position advice  (Read 2436 times)

Offline Tim Ault

Patch box position advice
« on: April 01, 2021, 08:35:04 PM »
Need advice on the position of this box . Sometimes others see things different that I do . Move it leave it where it's at ?

Thanks , Tim

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
Re: Patch box position advice
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2021, 09:19:56 PM »
I think it's good you ask.  Truthfully I see a lot of boxes placed so they have too much upward angle.  This seems to look "right" for those with less experience, but when comparing to originals it's often not the case.

In your example, I would keep the front about where it is and rote the back up in a clockwise direction.  Just a touch.  Do this and see how it looks.

Jim

Offline rsells

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2021, 09:45:51 PM »
Tim,
The below photo is a rifle I made copying a Bean rifle.  The patch box and location was copied from the original rifle.  I am sure there are lots of variation on original rifles, but I followed as close as I could to the original.  Hope this will be of some help.
                                                                                 Roger Sells

image hoster

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2021, 09:47:27 PM »
It's going to look different when you put the but plate on. Then look at it again.
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline Gaeckle

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2021, 09:57:35 PM »
Your fineal has a point on it and directs your eye, your lock also has a point on the tail which also directs your eye. Make sure both points line up, to my eye the box fineal can be a tad (very slight at that) tilted just below the line, but that's just me

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2021, 10:02:45 PM »
I agree with Jerrywh.  The patch box position will look different depending on the curvature of the butt plate.  Do the butt plate then position the patch box. 

Ken
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2021, 10:11:02 PM »
Tim,
The below photo is a rifle I made copying a Bean rifle.  The patch box and location was copied from the original rifle.  I am sure there are lots of variation on original rifles, but I followed as close as I could to the original.  Hope this will be of some help.
                                                                                 Roger Sells

image hoster

That looks nice to me.

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2021, 02:20:19 AM »
Need advice on the position of this box . Sometimes others see things different that I do . Move it leave it where it's at ?

Thanks , Tim

Front end is good.  Tail end needs to go up a little.   ;)
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Offline Tim Ault

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2021, 02:42:56 AM »
Thank all . I'll take that tail end up some and stick the butt plate back on and see how it looks .

Offline yip

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2021, 03:26:00 PM »
 HEY TIM I'D LIKE TO SEE THE RESULT.

Offline Tim Ault

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2021, 07:04:07 PM »
HEY TIM I'D LIKE TO SEE THE RESULT.
     Tweaked the position when I put the butt plate back on , looked good to my eye and comparing to the original gun with that pointy final I based this off of . So I went and got it inlet about 90%

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2021, 07:48:17 PM »
You're fixed there now, but I would have rotated counter-clockwise a tiny bit and dropped the whole thing a little.  The rotation is perhaps optional, but dropping a touch would be nice.  In any event, it's pretty close and still looks nice.

Jim

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2021, 09:58:15 PM »
I think the proportions of the box is what is throwing the position on the stock off somewhat. I think if the box was a tad smaller in width it would look better. I realize that the box size was taken from a original so if the OP was making a direct copy then that is what he has to work with -- my two cents worth ;D.
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline Tim Ault

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2021, 02:16:01 AM »
Thanks yes it was a copy of an original found in the library it's within a 1/16 in width of the original.  and the length is about 1/8 longer overall  . It's also possible that my buttstock length is shorter than most modern built guns, I'm short armed so it's only 13" to the front trigger 
Here it is fully inlet and screwed down slightly domed and matches the contour of the stock quite well

« Last Edit: April 04, 2021, 02:22:08 AM by Tim Ault »

Offline Fly Navy

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2021, 07:49:35 AM »
Lookin good.

Offline yip

« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2021, 02:31:35 PM »
 Tim looks gooooood, nice job!

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2021, 04:53:19 AM »
This might not help your position question, but I think you will appreciate this original patch box I took a picture of at the JM Davis museum in Claremore, OK.

Psalms 144

Offline Tim Ault

« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2021, 06:45:47 PM »
Thanks for posting that . Now that's two originals I've seen with that design 

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2021, 06:57:22 PM »
 :o :o... Wow,... great pic of that John Clements Jr. rifle, Clark,.. a 9-part hinge on that patchbox, too,... !!!... He made great Soddy match rifles, too,...perfect Soddy butt-plate and trigger-guard thanx for the pix,.. CCF

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2021, 08:44:48 PM »
Interesting.  Same patch box design but completely different trigger guard.  One signed and one not. 

Thanks or posting the picture and getting to see the second diamond patch box.

Ken
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2021, 05:54:00 AM »
:o :o... Wow,... great pic of that John Clements Jr. rifle, Clark,.. a 9-part hinge on that patchbox, too,... !!!... He made great Soddy match rifles, too,...perfect Soddy butt-plate and trigger-guard thanx for the pix,.. CCF

I got pictures of the B. Bean rifle that was there too. Unfortunately, I tried to take a pano shot of both but the pictures were rather terrible.
Psalms 144

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2021, 05:23:33 PM »
 ;) ;)... Clark,... please post any pix of the Baxter Bean rifle and pix of any other Tennessee/Southern rifles you have, ... maybe in another thread in the "antique" heading,... cannot ever see too many Tennessee rifles,..!!! ... regards,... CCF

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2021, 01:27:01 AM »
Got the pictures up in the Antique forum CCF
Psalms 144

Offline flehto

« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2021, 10:47:25 PM »
Possibly seems that the slimmer Pboxes are more difficult to locate aesthetically....more room to screw it up. I find that the Bucks County side opening  Pboxes take longer to arrive at a pleasing location than the larger Pboxes w/ sideplates......anyways for me.....Fred

« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 10:50:35 PM by flehto »