Author Topic: April Smoothbore shoot: Prize announced  (Read 4838 times)

Offline alacran

April Smoothbore shoot: Prize announced
« on: April 02, 2021, 04:31:39 PM »
Since I won the March Smoothbore Match against all comers, I am posting this target for the April match, It is target # 10142, from the Targetz.com site.
We have been slumming in the 25 yard line all winter. It is Spring so we will be springing forward to the 50 yard line.
The scoring will be 1/2 ball rule. Center 5 points, the next ring 4, next 3, next 2, and any where on the target will be one point.
You will get 6 shots and only the best 5 will count for score. You can submit 3 targets.
The prize will be announced shortly.
Have fun!

« Last Edit: April 06, 2021, 03:57:35 PM by alacran »
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline Nessmuck

Re: April Smoothbore shoot
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2021, 04:37:31 PM »
How big is that target....I hope I can hit it  ! And can we use a rear sight ?

Offline Nessmuck

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2021, 04:42:41 PM »
So....we get 3 whacks at this ?  Or do some guys shoot this target 20 times then hand in their best ? Asking for a friend ...

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2021, 05:54:57 PM »
It’s on page 10 http://targetz.com/targets10.htm. Prints on standard 8.5 x 11” paper
Andover, Vermont

Offline Daryl

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2021, 09:25:21 PM »
So....we get 3 whacks at this ?  Or do some guys shoot this target 20 times then hand in their best ? Asking for a friend ...

You've got all month to shoot this, so we can all figure that question out.
Suffice to say, you get 3 submissions.

Good target, good choice, Alacran.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline alacran

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2021, 09:26:47 PM »
You are allowed to make three submissions.  The reason for three submissions, is that one day your best score on the targets you shoot might be a 21 not a bad score so you submit it.. Then Taylor comes along and submits one with a 23. You still have a chance to go out and try to best Taylor's score. Only your best scoring target will be used for your score.
This match is the same rules as far as equipment is concerned. No rear sight above the plane of the barrel, offhand, Flintlock only, and .54 caliber and above.
The target has a 7.25 inch diameter. Plenty big.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline Daryl

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2021, 09:28:17 PM »
Especially for the smoothbores that shoot 3" and better at 50yards.
Daryl

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2021, 10:13:38 PM »
Especially for the smoothbores that shoot 3" and better at 50yards.

Lots of those around !   ;D

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2021, 10:35:07 PM »
Everybody’s shooting offhand, right?
Andover, Vermont

Offline Mike_StL

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2021, 12:07:37 AM »
When are we going to the range, Rich?

Its going to take all day for me to start hitting the target at 50 yards.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2021, 12:12:51 AM by Mike_StL »

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2021, 12:57:12 AM »
When are we going to the range, Rich?

Its going to take all day for me to start hitting the target at 50 yards.
I’m going tomorrow - we have a match. Let me know if want to check it out.
Andover, Vermont

Offline alacran

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2021, 02:49:42 PM »
To Rich, yes this is an offhand match. To Nessmuck, It should be easy for you to remove that thing.
There are sighted smooth bore matches at Friendship. This is not one of them. Think of a smoothbore as nothing more than a shotgun. Your eye is the rear sight.
By the way this target is an inch and a quarter wider than what is shot at Friendship at 50 yards.

Offline Nessmuck

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2021, 04:58:23 PM »
To Rich, yes this is an offhand match. To Nessmuck, It should be easy for you to remove that thing.
There are sighted smooth bore matches at Friendship. This is not one of them. Think of a smoothbore as nothing more than a shotgun. Your eye is the rear sight.
By the way this target is an inch and a quarter wider than what is shot at Friendship at 50 yards.

Oh great......

Offline little joe

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2021, 10:14:11 PM »

So this set up.....Is a No Go....correct ?
I,v got a scope on mine.  I,m not gonna ask.

Offline Nessmuck

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2021, 02:54:49 AM »

bmw x3 m sport 0 60

I did some filing ....and It looks a little bettah now...

Offline Nessmuck

« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2021, 02:57:01 AM »
Seeing that we’re going period correct,with this shoot.....Are we bare balling ? Or cheating with a patched ball ?

Offline little joe

« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2021, 01:37:43 PM »
You would not do this(20) times, would you?

Offline alacran

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2021, 03:34:17 PM »
This has nothing to do with being period correct. This is just a game that is played across the country using a smooth bore gun. The rules were established long ago. Those rules are codified by the NMLRA.
Original smooth bored guns are  close to 50/50 with rear sights and without. But I doubt any would have had peep sights.
By the way the sights that you have would not be allowed in sighted smooth bore matches, as the rules states the sights both front and rear must be open.
The rules say nothing as far as loading other than only round balls are to be used. So if you like you can shoot them bare or put underwear on them its your choice.
Happy Easter!

Offline Nessmuck

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2021, 05:30:16 PM »
This has nothing to do with being period correct. This is just a game that is played across the country using a smooth bore gun. The rules were established long ago. Those rules are codified by the NMLRA.
Original smooth bored guns are  close to 50/50 with rear sights and without. But I doubt any would have had peep sights.
By the way the sights that you have would not be allowed in sighted smooth bore matches, as the rules states the sights both front and rear must be open.
The rules say nothing as far as loading other than only round balls are to be used. So if you like you can shoot them bare or put underwear on them its your choice.
Happy Easter!

Thanks for that info. Looks like I might make an open rear sight to be compliant in those matches. So..I will put my peep sight in my pocket....and let it fly. Happy Easter to all

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2021, 07:47:18 PM »
Don't spend any time making an "open" rear sight.  If you read carefully, you'll see that front sight is the only one which is allowed above the plane of the barrel. In other words, no rear sight . Your eye is the sight.  Consistent sight picture and mounting the gun are what you need. If you simply remove that tang mounted peep sight, you'll be good to go.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2021, 10:43:58 PM »
You would not do this(20) times, would you?

LOL - got balls, will shoot.
Daryl

Offline Nessmuck

« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2021, 02:01:06 AM »
Don't spend any time making an "open" rear sight.  If you read carefully, you'll see that front sight is the only one which is allowed above the plane of the barrel. In other words, no rear sight . Your eye is the sight.  Consistent sight picture and mounting the gun are what you need. If you simply remove that tang mounted peep sight, you'll be good to go.

Yup....as I noted in my other post above ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^...my peep sight will be in my pocket.

Offline alacran

« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2021, 03:53:32 PM »
I decided for the prize for this match. It is a pan brush and vent pick I made back in January. I carved the antler tips from a shed I found in Kentucky and the brush bristles are from a javelina I killed on Jan 1st 2021. I will have a chain on them by the match conclusion.

Offline Oil Derek

Re: April Smoothbore shoot: Prize announced
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2021, 04:44:17 PM »
Nice work and color there Guido!

Offline alacran

Re: April Smoothbore shoot: Prize announced
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2021, 02:56:57 PM »
Thank you Dereck. I will be on the road for a few days. as i am heading back to the Midwest rain Forest. Hopefully I will see some entries by the time I get there. I plan to shoot this target myself. Competence with a smooth bore at 50 yards is paramount if one wants to hunt with it. Of course I will not be competing in this match. Plan on competing in Taylor's match.