Author Topic: Rifle from my youth  (Read 1562 times)

Offline B.Barker

Rifle from my youth
« on: April 03, 2021, 06:20:41 AM »
I built this rifle way back when I was sixteen I think maybe fifteen. Log Cabin shop inlet the barrel and ramrod groove for me. The barrel is a Green Mountain .36 and a Cochran lock. I knew next to nothing about building and less about schools. I just knew I liked Kentucky rifles. I've learned a bit since then and more each time I build a new one.

Offline alacran

Re: Rifle from my youth
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2021, 02:27:36 PM »
Wish I had been exposed to Muzzleloaders in my early teens. Didn't get to shoot a ML well into my  twenties.
That is a lot better looking than most first guns I've seen. You should be as proud of it now, as I'm sure you were when you built it.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2021, 03:21:51 PM »
Nifty. I didn't get started until I was 23.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Daniel Coats

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2021, 04:06:32 PM »
I was probably 15 or 16 as well. I know I was a sophomore and our high school got a discount from Dixie Gun Works. I built the first 3 from DGW kits and still have the first one with the date burned into the bottom of the barrel channel.
Dan

"Ain't no nipples on a man's rifle"

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2021, 05:35:19 PM »
 8) 8)... Well, Brian,... looks like you had your stain & finish technique worked out even back then,... !!! ... great looking rifle, but you have learned very much about different schools or looks and it shows,... you've done well, my friend,....regards,... CCF...

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2021, 06:02:42 PM »
  Brian you have done well over the years. I started putting kits together back in the late 60s.
 Built my first scratch built way later. That's when I realized I needed to learn a whole lot more.  See ya at Knoxville !
Oldtravler

Offline Gaeckle

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2021, 10:19:21 PM »
Brian, that has nice clean lines. So, I wonder, did I you have a mentor at that tender age, someone to guide you? That's really a good job.

Offline B.Barker

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2021, 05:55:20 AM »
John, my dad carved all kinds of things out of wood. I picked up the wood working from him but no one I knew was in to muzzleloaders back then. I had a few books and had seen magazine articles on muzzle loading rifles and that was it. I'm glad you guys like it but it has a lot of goobers on it. I was 18 or 19 when I got Kindig's book on Kentucky rifles. I studied that thing for hours and built an Armstrong style rifle from the photo's. 

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2021, 08:21:40 PM »
Very nice rifle for a first build!  I'm waiting until I grow up before I'll try building a rifle. 8)
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.