Author Topic: Taking black powder to Canada ?  (Read 3693 times)

Lslite

Taking black powder to Canada ?
« on: April 03, 2021, 08:38:26 PM »
Planning a black bear hunt in Canada.Is it possible to transport black powder and a flint longrifle on the plane and into the country ?

Offline BJH

Re: Taking black powder to Canada ?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2021, 08:56:10 PM »
Air travel with black powder is verboten. If you were driving across the border no biggie. In short you need to make arrangements with your outfitters to have black powder shipped to them. BJH
BJH

Offline Daryl

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2021, 11:12:11 PM »
Might find that a problem. Better to have the outfitter supply it for you, I would expect.
Last I heard, was that the only carrier allowed to carry black powder in Canada, Purolator, refused to do it.
Now, we've had black powder shooters come shooting here every year to rendezvous and hunting as well from the States, however these people normally drive and as far as I know, have had no difficulty at the border unless they had handguns of any sort.

I suggest you contact the Firearms centre and ask.

https://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/en/firearms/contact-the-canadian-firearms-program

Found this: Appears driving is fine. The Airlines might have trouble with it.

Exemption of Certain Explosives
[SOR/2018-231, s. 21]

Marginal note:List of explosives

190 (1) A carrier or driver is not subject to the requirements of sections 191 to 203.1 if they transport

(a) no more than 12 kg of an explosive with the number UN 0027, BLACK POWDER (GUNPOWDER) or UN 0028, BLACK POWDER (GUNPOWDER) COMPRESSED;
« Last Edit: April 03, 2021, 11:25:56 PM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2021, 11:29:55 PM »
Your outfitter will have contacts where he can arrange to get you the black powder you need.  I was contacted by a fellow from Australia who had come to my next of the woods, and I supplied him with the grade and quantity he needed, along with percussion caps.  Just using that as an example.
Getting the rifle into Canada is no problem, though.  So have your outfitter make the calls he needs to to procure your propellant.  Stay completely clear of BP Substitute powders...they don't work in flintlocks worth a $#!++....
I have the name of an outfitter in Alberta that can help you if you are going to that province.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Online smylee grouch

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2021, 12:55:42 AM »
All good advice so far. IIRC you are permitted 500 grams when you cross to hunt so that would be just over 1 pound.

Offline snapper

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2021, 03:14:06 AM »
Flying with BP in the US is forbidden on a commercial aircraft

Fleener
My taste are simple:  I am easily satisfied with the best.  Winston Churchill

Lslite

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2021, 05:55:20 PM »
Thanks gentlemen,once we pick an outfitter I'll see if he can provide the powder.If not,I guess I'll be hunting with the longbow.

Online smylee grouch

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2021, 06:27:52 PM »
Depending on where you want to hunt, I might have outfitter contacts that can have powder there for you. PM me if you want to hunt in Manitoba, Saskatchewan or Alberta.

Offline Justin Urbantas

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2021, 07:58:02 AM »
where are you hunting? I know a good guy in BC with good prices and he ships all across Canada.

Too-Tall Hunter

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2021, 04:23:25 AM »
Not to be a stick in the proverbial mud, but powder is really a moot point in this discussion unless this is a fall hunt. Canada is currently not allowing US citizens to enter the country for “leisure” activities. There is no indication of when that ban will be lifted.

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2021, 05:26:24 AM »
I thought the borderlands were still guarded and folks were still being turned away.....

Offline Ridgerunner1958

• Starting Member
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2021, 06:33:04 AM »
Just getting into Canada might be the hardest part

Offline snapper

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2021, 03:00:55 PM »
I have some Amish that I know crossed in MN at the land border a couple of weeks ago to go visit someone and then came home after a few days. 

They had no issues crossing the border.   Makes no sense to me.

Fleener

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2021, 07:43:38 PM »
Apparently, if you are in the immediate family of a Canadian resident you may be allowed to visit! However, The travel restrictions are still in place. https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/border#before

Offline Osprey

• Roaming Delmarva...
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2021, 12:12:20 AM »
With two years of no U.S. hunters up there I imagine the outfitters are taking a huge hit.  Hope they all survive for when we can head north again.
"Any gun built is incomplete until it takes game!"

Offline snapper

« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2021, 12:18:09 AM »
I had a Spring bear hunt for 2020, pushed back to 2021, now pushed back to 2022.  I hope he is still in business in 2022 and I dont have to eat my deposit.

The good thing is that the bears should be big, fat and ready for some company.

Fleener

Offline Daryl

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2021, 06:58:28 AM »
Planning on taking any home with you, Fleener? Which Province?
Daryl

Offline snapper

« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2021, 03:10:44 PM »
Saskatchewan, North of Saskatoon.  Hoping to bring back most of everything.

Two day drive each way from Iowa.

Fleener

Offline WKevinD

« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2021, 07:20:28 PM »
On my last hunt in Canada (New Brunswick) I checked with the RCMP first. I was told I could bring 35lbs for personal use! I brought an unopened 1lb can. I also removed my butt plate and wrote Name, address, phone# and DL #, it helped with paperwork at the border I was called aside so I could discuss flintlocks with the RCMP, great guys, very interested in historic weapons.
Kevin
PEACE is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline Daryl

« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2021, 08:58:53 PM »
Saskatchewan, North of Saskatoon.  Hoping to bring back most of everything.

Two day drive each way from Iowa.
Fleener

That's cool!
Daryl

Offline snapper

« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2021, 12:42:51 AM »
The first time I crossed the border with a ML, 5 of us were on our way up to moose hunt.   We had all built our ML's.   I had a serial number on mine.

By the time the customs agent got to me, he simply shook his head and said "your a crafty bunch".

I had to educate them on the flintlock regarding it not needing a permit for crossing.

Fleener

Offline Daryl

« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2021, 05:06:42 AM »
I carry a plasticized copy of that page of the Criminal Code in my truck seat pocket, that says flintlocks, any flintlock or replica flintlock (or match lock), is classified as an antique and not a firearm.
On the other hand, in Canada, caplocks are classified as firearms same as any other "modern" firearm. Go figure.
Daryl

Online smylee grouch

« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2021, 05:41:50 AM »
Yes, you can cross the border with a Flintlock and not have to pay the $25. CD fee but you do have to pay it for cap locks, that if you don't have a PAL card. In 2015 I called the RCMP Hdqtrs. and they told me you could carry 500 Grams of black powder with you when you come up to hunt.  There are around 453 Grams in a pound so a 1 pound can of black was ok then as it was in the fall of 2019 also.

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2021, 12:28:43 AM »
So, if you are a Prisoner At Large, they give you a card for CD$25.00?

Guess I am lucky.  Any firearms I bring to Canada in 2022 will be flintlocks.  And I will carve a serial number on each.

As I will have my Service Dog with me, I will also have a Vet's certificate attesting to health.

Got to find a likely suspect to feed the cats while I am gone though.  Although each will come when called, don't want to risk them as bear bait on my overnight tent camping.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Online smylee grouch

« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2021, 01:00:47 AM »
Craig: The PAL card (possession-acquisition) will get you into Canada without having to pay the $25CD fee. Getting the card is a process of taking a safety class, getting a background check, pay fees, getting references and maybe more. Other wise you pay the $25CD fee at the border for center fire and Perc. ML guns. Leave the cat bait at home as it's not allowed to bring bait into Canada.  ;D