Author Topic: Jaeger Rifle by D.Gross new to me  (Read 1691 times)

Offline Boblor

• Starting Member
Jaeger Rifle by D.Gross new to me
« on: April 04, 2021, 03:15:24 PM »
I have been wanting a Flintlock Jaeger Rifle for a few years to get back into black powder deer hunting.  I have been watching for Jaeger rifles and most I would find were very nice but a bit more decorated than I wanted.  Then a few days ago I found a Jaeger by D.Gross that had beautiful lines, excellent inletting and is not overly decorated. I found it on the Collectors Firearms website.  In fact I would say it would follow the "keep it simple philosophy".  Exactly what I wanted in a working deer hunting rifle.

The Jaeger is walnut stocked, iron mounted, 31 inch .54 caliber barrel one turn in 56" with round bottom grooves.  And what I would consider an early style finger groove trigger guard and double set triggers.  I would guess a lot or all the parts may have come from Track of the Wolf and very well gunsmithed by Mr. D.Gross.  Pictures of the rifle may still be on the Collectors Firearms website.

Is anyone familiar with the gunsmithing work of Mr. D. Gross?  I would like to find out more of the history of this Jaeger and about Mr. Gross.

Bob L.

Offline EC121

Re: Jaeger Rifle by D.Gross new to me
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2021, 06:25:35 PM »
IIRC  There was a Gross jaeger for sale on either GunsAmerica or Gunsinternational for several years with no buyers.  It seems to  have been made for someone named Waugh.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2021, 05:20:00 PM by EC121 »
Brice Stultz

Offline Boblor

• Starting Member
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2021, 06:52:59 PM »
I don't know the GunsAmerica or Guns International history but yes it it engraved M. Waugh on the side plate.  Do you know anything about the gunsmith D. Gross?
 Bob L

Offline EC121

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2021, 07:35:16 PM »
No. 
Brice Stultz

Offline Ron Scott

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2021, 05:14:48 PM »
I looked for the rifle on Collectors Firearms website and could not find it. If you have a inventory number, I would take a look for you. That vendor is one of the pricer ones on the Net. My students sometimes have their projects for sale. I could check around if you like.

Offline EC121

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2021, 05:22:46 PM »
This is GunsInternational's number. #101431249.  Says it sold.
Brice Stultz

Offline dave gross

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2021, 01:42:59 AM »
Boblor.....private message sent...I am the builder of the jaeger rifle you
asked about.

Dave Gross