Author Topic: Harvesting an English Walnut tree for Gun Stocks  (Read 1350 times)

Offline Ron Scott

Harvesting an English Walnut tree for Gun Stocks
« on: April 04, 2021, 05:06:39 PM »
Yesterday a local contact had a five foot diameter English Walnut tree removed from his backyard. After the limbs were removed, the main log was split to facilitate moving the sections. The tree had multiple limbs, so much head scratching went into the decision of where the long chainsaw split was made. The log halves were then set up and sawn into three inch thick slabs on a Wood Mizer portable mill. First photo is the wedge cut from the base, illustrating end grain.You can see the proportion of desirable hardwood to cream colored sap wood. This helps explain why a two foot diameter Walnut log may not yield gun stocks.  Second photos is the saw set up with log in place. Third photo is of one of the cants. Since there is no fiddle figure to take into consideration, no attempt was made to Quarter Saw the cants. Sorry for not having taken more photos, but is was a very long and arduous day. When next I can organize my crew, we will start laying out patterns and cutting blanks. If there is interest, I will follow up with photos and description of grain orientation and pattern layout.

Offline heinz

Re: Harvesting an English Walnut tree for Gun Stocks
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2021, 06:53:27 PM »
Major project well done. 
kind regards, heinz

Offline RMann

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2021, 05:54:07 AM »
I would love to see more.  I recently chain sawed out a couple of sugar maple blanks from the woods while  making  maple syrup.  The only figure was in the "knee" of the stump region, but even that was exciting!  Maybe one of the blanks will be useable in 4 years....  As a long time bowl turner, hunting and sawing out the raw materials is always energizing, and half my fun.  My bowl work is always turned green, so how to best handle the more particular and optimal layout of long rifle stock blanks is something many of us would like to learn more of.  Today I rough split billets out of a hickory log, and tomorrow will try riving out some ramrod stock.  But your walnut log looks like some nice chocolate cake, and I look forward to the outcome. 

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2021, 07:19:17 AM »
Pretty nice wood there, Ron - keep the pics coming/
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline Fly Navy

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2021, 07:36:34 AM »
I also would like to see more. This is very interesting and it is always fun to learn something new.

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2021, 07:41:16 PM »
Ron, i have steamed Black Walnut and Black Cherry to color sap wood with great success. I have never tried English Walnut but losing all that wood, it might be worth a try.
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=steaming+english+walnut+to+change+sapwood+color&t=osx&ia=web
good luck!
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln