Author Topic: Rib Repair  (Read 1734 times)

Offline Vaquero

Rib Repair
« on: April 28, 2021, 03:48:37 AM »
Not sure if this is the right board, but....

Just wondering if anyone could suggest a competent restorer/gunsmith that would know how to resolder a Damascus twist double barrel percussion shotgun? The last 4-6 inches have started separating from the top rib.

I have it at a gunsmith who “thinks” he can do it, but it’s been quite a few months he has been getting the courage to try it. No it’s not an easy repair, but if someone could do it, I figured someone here will know.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Davison

Offline smylee grouch

Re: Rib Repair
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2021, 04:59:06 AM »
Bruce LePage might do it. He used to restore fine old English guns. Grantsburgh Wisconsin might be where he is located but thats all I know.

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2021, 09:39:35 PM »
Vaquero. It is important to know if the barrels have Belgian proof marks or not because Belgian barrels were brazed together and almost all the others were soft soldered together.  The brazed barrels are much easier to do than the soft soldered are. if they have Belgian proof marks they will be brazed otherwise, look closely at the ends and see if you can see the brazing or not.  The ribs will have to be completely removed to be done correctly. Belgian-made barrels rarely have rib troubles for that reason.
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline Vaquero

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2021, 01:12:53 AM »
Thanks for the referral Smylee, and thanks for the info Jerry.

It is marked as a “Manton” but I know that there were quite a few knockoffs as well. I’ll try to get a look at the proof marks and find out.

Davison

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2021, 10:48:28 PM »
I have a friend that is a professional gunsmith. He is a long-standing member of the American custom gunmakers guild. I asked him what he charged to relay some double shotgun ribs here is his reply.

"My charge is $625 plus $165 apiece for the ribs. If I have to make the bottom ribs out of old Damascus barrels, the cost is $250 apiece. I also charge $650 for rust blacking or browning a pair of Damascus barrels.
Usually, those prices are enough to discourage them. That and the fact
that I am 2-3 years behind."

I am retired and cannot do it anymore but this is how I learned and it was easy. Buy an old set of barrels from eBay. just junk barrels will do. Don't get Belgian barrels but any other will do. Take them apart and redo them with low temp solder and rosin flux.
 If you can't find any I have some. After you do one you will be much better off knowing you can do somethong few others can do.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2021, 10:56:04 PM by jerrywh »
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline Vaquero

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2021, 12:45:04 AM »
Thanks for the insight Jerry, that helps put things in perspective. I will try finding some, otherwise I’ll be getting in contact with you shortly.

Davison

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2021, 08:21:53 AM »
Vaquero, here is a thread on one I restored a few years back. https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=46068.msg452809#msg452809

Hope it helps.

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline Vaquero

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2021, 01:02:08 PM »
Thanks Curtis, that helps a ton. What I find even more amazing is that it is the same make and model I have, except in 14 gauge!

Davison

Online bob in the woods

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2021, 04:29:02 PM »
The best English trained gunsmith I know of, specializing in shotgun repair and restoration is my friend Stewart Newby.    S.J. Newby , Gunsmith.  Half Moon Bay, British Columbia

Offline Vaquero

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2021, 02:22:00 AM »
Thanks for the suggestion Bob.

I decided to get the shotgun back today. Here is the gun in question:

Offline Clowdis

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2021, 05:40:00 AM »
Looks like the barrels have separated in a couple of places too. I think you may be looking at a total redo.

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2021, 06:54:22 AM »
Looks like the barrels have separated in a couple of places too. I think you may be looking at a total redo.

From what I see in the photos I would second what Clowdis said.  Once you start getting under those ribs to clean things out, I believe you will find a great deal of built up corrosion.  I think the safest be would be to remove all the loose ribs first and proceed form there depending on what you find.  If you want the new solder to stick the metal will have to be clean and corrosion free in the areas of contact.

Looks like a nice old gun!

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline Not English

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2021, 08:53:45 PM »
Smylee and Vaquero, Bruce is indeed capable of doing it, lot's of experience! Last I knew Bruce had quit building guns but was still engraving. He is still in Grantsburg Wi., but I don't have his phone # anymore.

Dave

Online P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2021, 09:03:57 PM »
First off I would want to know if the barrels have any deep pitting that weaken the steel before I start thinking about repairing the ribs. Plug the nipples then fill both bore's with penetrating fluid and let stand for about two weeks. If you have the penetrating fluid seeping out of the barrels then I would not proceed any farther than mounting the shotgun over the fireplace. Your mileage may vary.
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb