Author Topic: Club Butt Fowler Question?  (Read 1023 times)

Offline R.J.Bruce

Club Butt Fowler Question?
« on: April 07, 2021, 12:53:22 PM »
If I recall my reading vis-a-vis past posts on club butt fowlers:
1. Bore sizes were 12 gauge, and larger
2. Barrel lengths were 46", and longer
3. Weights were 10 pounds, and heavier

Would it be possible to have a club butt fowler built in 12 gauge, with a 47"-48" long barrel (Bobby Hoyt?) that had a lightweight profile similar to the one that a Type G, Carolina trade gun barrel might have, and with an approximate weight of 8-8.5 pounds?

Would such a gun be completely out of historical context?

Thanks,
             Bruce

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Club Butt Fowler Question?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2021, 12:59:29 PM »
Bruce, Flintlock Fowlers by Grinslade is an inexpensive, must have book. There are several club butt fowlers in that weight range in the book.
Andover, Vermont

Offline R.J.Bruce

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2021, 04:33:50 PM »
Bruce, Flintlock Fowlers by Grinslade is an inexpensive, must have book. There are several club butt fowlers in that weight range in the book.

Thanks, Rich

I just ordered the book with some Stimulus monies.

Since the R.E. Davis trade gun lock is unavailable for the foreseeable future, what would be an appropriate flintlock for such a gun? Would the new Laubach lock work?

Bruce
« Last Edit: April 07, 2021, 04:38:43 PM by R.J.Bruce »

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2021, 07:07:44 PM »
Bruce, the Laubach lock, 1720-1750 Germanic (my guess) would be unusual on a New England club butt fowler as it was designed for a high end rifle, in my estimation. Many New England guns of the period seem to have used recycled locks from French or English arms. If you’re going 1760-1780s a recycled French fusil lock or an English lock of the period would be my first choice. Of course the Chambers round faced English locks are top performers but the Davis round face colonial in my tub sparks extremely well also. A Dutch lock makes sense too. I’m planning a club butt fielder for a client and we are using a large military Germanic lock I assembled from castings.

I have several original musket locks I’ll be re-converting to flintlock and restoring to real functionality soon and hope to use them in special projects. Seems there’s a side hustle where folks strip relic, common European muskets and sell locks and such on eBay. I pick some up when pricing makes sense. I figure if I can reconvert and restore function and have an original lock for under $250 of my money in it, that’s worth my while for special projects.

My big Germanic lock over a Chambers English round faced. Dimensionally not a lot bigger but much more robust.

« Last Edit: April 07, 2021, 07:15:47 PM by rich pierce »
Andover, Vermont

Offline R.J.Bruce

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2021, 11:19:35 PM »
Would that include the Fusil-Tulle flintlock from TOW?

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2021, 11:43:49 PM »
Would that include the Fusil-Tulle flintlock from TOW?

I think that could work. I have no experience with the lock, so don’t know how it functions.
Andover, Vermont