Author Topic: Barrel from TOW  (Read 3121 times)

Offline 409

• Starting Member
    • Wayne Doucette
Barrel from TOW
« on: April 09, 2021, 08:43:33 PM »
 Has anyone had any experience with the new barrels that TOW is selling? Had a customer send me one for a Hawken rifle build for him. I am a little concerned about it. It is 54 cal. with groves about 1/16 in. and lands 3/16 in. with plenty of  reamer marks. Concerned as to how well it will shoot.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Barrel from TOW
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2021, 09:07:40 PM »
No experience but that configuration of narrow grooves will be harder to load in bigger calibers in my experience. In .40 and under, would be fine.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Daryl

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2021, 09:12:46 PM »
No experience but that configuration of narrow grooves will be harder to load in bigger calibers in my experience. In .40 and under, would be fine.

DITTO.
 I feel they have no use/reason today in any calibre.
edited:
My reason for saying that, is they serve no purpose other than perhaps for the mfg'r, ie: easier and faster cutting the grooves. They do not help the shooting and definitely do not help with the loading, as they are harder to load snug combinations needed for good accuracy and clean shooting.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2021, 02:20:19 AM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2021, 02:52:02 AM »
Do these barrels have a name?

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2021, 03:05:54 AM »
Track lists Green mountain, Rice and Colerain.  None of those have have rifleing as described.

As described I'd pack it up and send it back with a credit for return postage.  Something does not add up here.  I am unaware of a barrel being made with rifling specs as described.  The worst is about 50% L/G and most are in the 40/60 ratio range. 

Offline 409

• Starting Member
    • Wayne Doucette
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2021, 03:26:45 AM »
TOW would not tell me who the maker is as the exterior is not well finished [milling marks] and they did not want there name mentioned,only that they are well established and known for quality barrels. I have built many rifles with the following barrels,H&H, Getz, GRRW, Sharron, Douglas,Rice and Green Mountain and have never seen a muzzleloader barrel rifled like this one, therefor my concern.

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2021, 04:01:38 AM »
  When in doubt I would send it back to them. They KNOW who they got the barrel from. They should stand behind it.
 Oldtravler

Offline Daryl

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2021, 04:27:12 AM »
This one's bore/groove ratio is about the same. It's only .32 and was quite easy to load, even with bore sized balls and 10 ounce denim. When you have
to move more lead, as in larger sizes, THAT becomes difficult, just like trying to load hard lead instead of soft. It doesn't want to move that much.

Daryl

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2021, 05:08:29 AM »
IIRC the old Douglas barrels had 8 narrow cuts with wide lands but I'm not sure what the Golden Age Arms 7 groove barrels had for land/grove relationship even though they were made by Douglas.

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2021, 05:13:06 AM »
Are we sure this is not reversed?  Grooves like that would be a slit in the bore.  That would be a very poor way to rifle a barrel.

However, If the lands (the part that sticks up and drives the ball) is 0.0625" wide and the groove ( the part cut away while rifling)  were 0.187, I'd buy several such barrels on spec.  I can lap them to make them smooth and choked.  I can not change the l/g width ratios.  I believe wide grooves and narrow lands are good.  But, that is another thread.  : )

The barrel should have  a maker's mark stamped on the bottom flat. 

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2021, 05:15:55 AM »
This narrow groove:wide land ratio was common when barrels were hand rifled. Less metal to remove. No reason for it since machine rifling took over. But some barrel makers of the current era copied the earlier style I guess.
Andover, Vermont

Offline little joe

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2021, 11:28:21 AM »
Thats a old time cut. Bill Large did me a .40 like that 50 yrs ago and it shot very good however you needed to keep the dirt out and wipe it often.

Offline elk killer

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2021, 12:25:43 PM »
Not saying who made it would make me very leary. What are they trying to hide.!!
only flintlocks remain interesting..

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2021, 02:31:47 PM »
Do these barrels have a name?
Sounds like a mystery maker and a dealer that isn't saying anything
and I wonder why and to what purpose??
Bob Roller

Offline 409

• Starting Member
    • Wayne Doucette
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2021, 04:28:58 PM »
No name on the barrel only fairly course milling marks. Track lists it as made in the U.S.

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2021, 05:14:45 PM »
That land/grove ratio looks reversed, the cuts should be as wide as the lands and the lands as wide as the current cuts. The out side finish on the barrel is the worst I have seen looking like it was done with an angle grinder. With some work it might prove to be a good shooter but would be a dirty shooter too IMHO.

Online Stoner creek

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2021, 05:34:57 PM »
I would avoid those narrow grooves. I had a rifle back in the 80s with a narrow groove barrel. It took a long time to get it to where it would shoot. I put it away for good in ‘86.
Stop Marxism in America

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2021, 06:38:17 PM »
In over 30+ years of buying barrels, seeing barrels, etc,  I have never encountered one that looked that bad on the exterior. 

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2021, 06:56:01 PM »
As bad as the outside is would not affect how it shot. But I will guarantee that you will not get a patch down that thing without it being ripped to shreds.

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2021, 07:14:09 PM »
I would refuse to use that barrel.

The customer is going to hold you responsible for a rifle that does not shoot.  I also see burrs on the edges of the lands.  The skinny grooves could be a shortcut to getting it out the door. 

Or, if it has 7 L/G is was done to emulate original barrels? 

I see them on line, https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/1340/2/BBL-54-D-36  Looks like the bought a bunch of them to replenish stock on hand.  Too bad for them. 

It looks like Rice is catching up, wait and get one of those. 

Bur on edge of lands?

« Last Edit: April 10, 2021, 08:53:10 PM by Scota4570 »

Offline Daryl

« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2021, 10:14:08 PM »
No name on the barrel only fairly course milling marks. Track lists it as made in the U.S.

409 - did you dovetail it and install the barrel loops - or - did you have Track do that for your - or - is that the way that barrel "comes"?
Daryl

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2021, 11:21:44 PM »
That barrel looks like it was reamed without the benefit of fluids like TapMatic
or other lubricants and maybe even a reamer that was worn out.The external finish
is perhaps that left by a fly cutter. I think Caveat Emptor applies here.
Bob Roller

Offline Tim Ault

« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2021, 12:10:53 AM »
If were me I'd be sending that back due to the sub par rifling job , the exterior is horrid also but that can be made smooth with some extra time and effort

Offline Gaeckle

« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2021, 02:12:36 AM »
I wonder if Bobby Hoyt could fix that, wouldn't be a 54 when he's done

Offline 409

• Starting Member
    • Wayne Doucette
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2021, 05:41:32 AM »
Though I sent this note awhile ago but dont see it so try again. Took plug out and shoved a well oiled patched ball through it and you are right the patch is torn completely at each land and worst than that there is a tight spot about 3" from the breech. guess i will be talking to TOW, it must go back.