Author Topic: Dunlap kits  (Read 2704 times)

Offline Tommy Bruce

Dunlap kits
« on: April 10, 2021, 07:26:52 PM »
Anyone ever do one of Dunlap Woodcraft Lancaster kits? I saw one several years ago at Dixon’s and it looked pretty good. I was considering doing one to get back into building again. 
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books or too much ammunition”
R. Kipling

Offline smylee grouch

Re: Dunlap kits
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2021, 07:55:31 PM »
A friend of mine did one of his Issak Haines kits over 20 years ago and it turned out nice.

Offline varsity07840

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2021, 09:26:11 PM »
Mine from a Dunlap kit. Almost 30 years ago. Issaic Haines

Offline Tommy Bruce

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2021, 09:43:48 PM »
@!*%! That’s nice!
R. Kipling

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2021, 09:54:50 PM »
Simple, but well designed and executed engraving on the classic daisy PB.

My compliments,
Jeff
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Offline varsity07840

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2021, 11:21:18 PM »
Simple, but well designed and executed engraving on the classic daisy PB.

My compliments,
Jeff

Well, thanks but I can't take credit for the engraving. Greg Dixon did it.

Offline Tommy Bruce

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2021, 11:49:14 PM »
Varsity which barrel did you use?
R. Kipling

Offline varsity07840

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2021, 12:01:56 AM »
Varsity which barrel did you use?

Getz B weight 38" .50 cal.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2021, 12:07:18 AM »
Looks like the Getz kit which looks like the Chambers kit.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline flehto

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2021, 01:01:05 AM »
Although I prefer longer bbls {my Bucks County LRs have a 46" and the Lancasters have a 44"} most Isaac Haines part sets only have a 38" bbl. Most of Haines' bbls on his LRs  are much longer than 38". The first company to market an Isaac Haines part set was Don Getz and his stock profiler only  had a max reach for only a 38" bbl....so 38" it was and all future part sets  from all the suppliers followed suit.......Fred

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2021, 01:06:57 AM »
Dunlap used to have a 38" Haines kit or a 42" Haines kit, then I think they added a 44" kit.
http://dunlapwoodcrafts.com/component-sets/golden-age-isaac-haines-rifle
« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 01:12:39 AM by flinchrocket »

Offline Tommy Bruce

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2021, 01:30:30 AM »
They have a 38”, 42” & 44” on their website.  I’d like to have a 42 or 44” and was thinking 38” for my nephew.   
R. Kipling

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2021, 03:11:46 AM »
Anyone ever do one of Dunlap Woodcraft Lancaster kits? I saw one several years ago at Dixon’s and it looked pretty good. I was considering doing one to get back into building again.
I did a number of years ago. Ran into a few things I was not expecting. RR hole hit front lock bolt dead on. Barrel and lock inlet were undersize but side plate inlet was too large. Had to notch the barrel threads to clear white Lightning liner. But it turned out to be the best handling hunting gum I have owned. 38 inch c profile Rice barrel.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Karl Kunkel

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2021, 03:39:11 AM »
The Dunlap 38" Kit is the same as the old Getz Kit and Chambers Isaac Haines.  Fully inlet and precarved stock.  I think the other Dunlap barrel length Kits only have the butt stock shaped and the lock mortise inlet.  the remainder of the stock is squared off.

I built a Dunlap Haines, and have a Chamber's partially finished on the bench.  The quality is similar.  The furniture is different.  I think Dunlap uses the Biven's style brass. Both were with C Profile Rice barrels.

I did have to back-up both barrel breaches to clear the white lightening touch hole.  On the Dunlap I had to switch to a 6-32 front lock bolt to clear the ram rod.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 03:42:51 AM by Karl Kunkel »
Kunk

Offline Tommy Bruce

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2021, 04:39:47 AM »
Thanks everyone for all of the responses!
R. Kipling

Offline varsity07840

« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2021, 04:42:49 PM »
I did a number of years ago. Ran into a few things I was not expecting. RR hole hit front lock bolt dead on. Barrel and lock inlet were undersize but side plate inlet was too large. Had to notch the barrel threads to clear white Lightning liner. But it turned out to be the best handling hunting gum I have owned. 38 inch c profile Rice barrel.
Dennis

I had the ramrod/lock bolt and the notched breech plug condition as well. Not a big problem. However the low pivot position on the trigger pinned to the lock plate caused a horrendously heavy trigger pull. Redid it and got it down to 3 lbs. It's a great shooter with balance that suits my small frame.

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2021, 11:41:15 PM »
I’ve built both.  They are equal in many ways.  My interpretation..... hardware on the Chambers kit is superior. Especially the buttplate design, kinda pinched on the Dunlap. The Dunlap kit, You’ll probably get better wood. Usually a step or two above the claimed grade. Both have 38” and 44” barrels. Chambers is called Early Lancaster.
In His grip,

Dane

Offline Bigmon

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2021, 11:48:33 PM »
I did a Dunlap Issac Haines kit in 1994, one of my first.  I could certainly have done a better job on my part, but as for the kit just fine.  It is still really my go to hunting gun with the 38" 54 cal.  It is sure fire and a really killer.
The older and more used it gets the better it looks.

Offline Tommy Bruce

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2021, 11:50:40 PM »
I like that 38” barrel.  B weight in either .45 or .50 and C weight .54 make for slick handling guns!
R. Kipling

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2021, 03:04:00 AM »
I've had a couple of the B weight 50s  44" long and they handle pretty good.

Offline Tommy Bruce

« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2021, 03:11:50 AM »
I've had a couple of the B weight 50s  44" long and they handle pretty good.

No argument there.  The 38” & 44” have a much more pronounced swamp than the 42” barrels, which to me makes for a sweet handling gun.   
R. Kipling

Offline Darkhorse

« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2021, 11:21:22 PM »
I like the way Dunlap lets you choose your wood. I haven't built one of those yet but I've been considering it.
I have built 2 from TOW, a "B" .40, and a "C" .54 both with the 38" barrel. Both are one hole shooters at 50 yards. I don't think it 's the make of the kit that matters, it's how it's put together and the shooter that counts.
For hunting the eastern woods, where I hunt, the 38" barrel is about perfect. If I was hunting the west I would like at least a 42" inch barrel. But the 38" would do if it was all I had.
The IH stock profile as cut for the kits have become my favorite ML rifle stocks. Little felt recoil and easy handling.                                                                             
American horses of Arabian descent.

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2021, 02:33:38 AM »
I did one like 25 years ago.  I could not do that horrible Bivins buttplate, so I got one of the "E34" buttplates and installed it, wiping out all the inletting for the Bivins plate.

When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2021, 03:49:22 PM »
I could not do that horrible Bivins buttplate
Blasphemer.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?