Author Topic: Another flintlock turkey  (Read 1447 times)

Offline 577SXS

Another flintlock turkey
« on: April 11, 2021, 06:34:41 PM »
Got a nice gobbler this morning with my 20 ga Edward Marshall turkey gun that I built. Gun has a Rice full jug choked barrel. I use 100 grs of Swiss 2F with an 1/8 hard card and a 1/2" lubed wad on top of powder. The load is 1.5 ozs of #7 lead with 12 #2 lead on top and a thin overshot card. This load is very effective out to 25 yards. The bird was way off this morning and when he gobbled I would more 100 yards closer and call again. I moved about 500 yards and heard him close maybe 100 yards. I was in between two of my food plots so I set a real hen decoy in the road between the plots and I got in the woods just off the edge. He was coming fast down the edge of the food plot so I got my gun up and was hoping he would walk right in front of me at 5 yards . Well he went in woods behind me by that distance and went out into the other plots. Lots of brush between me and him. I very slowly started to turn around and bird was right behind me. Luckily I was on my knees and very slowly inched around. The bird started walking away and then crossed the road into woods. Now I'm holding the gun up trying to get a shot and he is hard right of me and slowly coming towards my decoy but in thick brush. He gobbled several times and finally started moving towards the decoy. My arms are killing me at this point because I'm twisted around half turned and holding the gun on him waiting for an opening. I see movement and take aim and it's a Squirrel about 5 feet in front of bird. Geez really! The bird is moving back and forth but not getting any closer and is still in thick brush. I'm hoping he will step into road and come into opening 5 yards from me but that stinking squirrel is still messing around in the road. The bird turns and is starting to walk away when I get his head in a little hole. Bang flop!! at 10 yards. Great hunt but my arms are still tired.

Offline wattlebuster

Re: Another flintlock turkey
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2021, 06:43:09 PM »
Congrats on a fine bird. Nice smoothbore. Now go get ya another one
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline Big Bubba

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2021, 09:26:28 PM »
Congratulations!

Offline Daryl

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2021, 10:17:24 PM »
Well done and an exciting story. Tks.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Skychief

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2021, 11:37:16 PM »
Congratulations on a great bird.  Thanks for sharing the hunt with us.

Best regards, Skychief.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2021, 11:42:20 PM »
The story on that bird was very exciting to read.  You did good.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Osprey

• Roaming Delmarva...
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2021, 11:48:21 PM »
Congrats!  Our season is 8 days away, can't wait. 
"Any gun built is incomplete until it takes game!"

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2021, 12:47:16 AM »
Nice bird, nice gun, great story. I don't have a lot of experience with Turkey's but this one and I had words and I won the argument.  ;D  About 25 years ago.

Offline alacran

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2021, 01:54:50 PM »
Good job, nice Bird! Great story. If it were easy what fun would there be?
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline old george

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2021, 04:12:28 PM »
Great hunt with a better ending  ;) Way to go 577SXS

george
I cannot go to Hades: Satan has a restraining order against me. :)

Offline 577SXS

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2021, 07:00:41 PM »
Thanks everyone. Yes hunting with a flintlock is not only a challenge but lots of fun. I would love to build a double someday so I could have a follow up shot if needed. It's easy to kill a bird with a modern gun with fancy chokes and fancy expensive heavy metal shot. I hear of people killing birds at 60 and 70 yards but what's the fun in that. To shoot a bird at 10 yards and have to wait for smoke to clear to see if you got it or not puts a lot more excitement in the hunt. It's hunting not killing. I'm building a 28 gauge for next season and it's going to be really light and petite. I'm really looking forward to that.

Offline Darkhorse

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2021, 12:23:11 AM »
I agree. Hunting turkeys with a flintlock is not only a challenge but lots of fun. I hunt them with a .40 caliber flintlock rifle, in my state any muzzle loader is a legal turkey weapon. So I could kill one at 70 yards and farther but all mine have been killed at regular shotgun distances. I like to call them in close and watch them strut and look like a ballerina taking those close little steps.
But this year doesn't look to promising. Our turkey population is on a fast and steady decline, many places are completely devoid of wild turkeys. I haven't seen or heard a bird yet this year.
So anyone who has birds to hunt then your blessed.
Nice bird and a nice turkey gun to shoot him with. Congratulations.
American horses of Arabian descent.