Author Topic: CNC triggers finally finished  (Read 2054 times)

Offline Ron Scott

CNC triggers finally finished
« on: May 29, 2021, 11:17:02 PM »
The CNC Jaeger triggers under development for the last year were delivered yesterday. Crisp, precise and authentically shaped. Inlet, polish and engrave. Wish these had been available three decades ago!

Offline Bob Roller

Re: CNC triggers finally finished
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2021, 12:10:49 AM »
Good looking triggers.About 40 years ago I made 2 of these for a German customer and I
got $100 each back in that time.
Bob Roller

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2021, 01:39:16 PM »
Ron, those look fantastic, and a very compact design. I think they could be adapted to pistols as well...any thoughts of offering them with a plain (blank) trigger plate?

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Offline LilysDad

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2021, 01:54:10 PM »
How far back do set triggers date?

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2021, 02:36:38 PM »
They were used on cross bows,I was shown a picture of this trigger system
taken in a European museum and I made a set for a high school project for
the young man that had the picture.
Bob Roller

Offline Ron Scott

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2021, 04:29:56 PM »
Bob, if I had known you making some of these triggers in the past, I would have tried getting you to make me a bunch. It is not possible to make up a single or small batch alteration. The time spent rewriting the program is not economical . Alaska Arms was very good in designing and producing these for me. The  production is a minimum of 50 per batch and the cost is high. If there was enough commitment another order could be made.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2021, 06:51:46 PM »
Bob, if I had known you making some of these triggers in the past, I would have tried getting you to make me a bunch. It is not possible to make up a single or small batch alteration. The time spent rewriting the program is not economical . Alaska Arms was very good in designing and producing these for me. The  production is a minimum of 50 per batch and the cost is high. If there was enough commitment another order could be made.

Ron,
If I had known about your need for a limited number like that German wanted I might have
been able to help a bit.In 1980 a set trigger bringing $100 was unheard of over here.
Today I get $60 for the "SMR-Kentucky rifle-Ohio" triggers and $70 for the Hawken.
I am not a production shop and never have been and worry about interchangeability about
as much as Jake and Sam Hawken did.I wish every possible success to you in offering these triggers
and if I can help I am willing.At 85 I am glad to be able to even figure out how to unlock the shop
door much less get something made to sell ;D
Bob Roller
« Last Edit: May 30, 2021, 06:57:57 PM by Bob Roller »

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2021, 06:33:18 PM »

Those look nice.  I've not heard of Alaska Arms, but it seems they do good work.  There's nothing cheap or easy about making a quality product like these.

Jim

Offline Dave B

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2021, 12:45:10 AM »
Beautiful triggers Ron. I just missed seeing those at our get together a couple weeks ago. It is nice to get quality product ready to go verses having to clean up castings and do all the filing and heat treating. If you have an extra set that needs a home I have started a foundation for wayward triggers. I have several that have need of help and we are getting them back to work.  ::)
Dave Blaisdell

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2021, 02:44:39 AM »
I will be out of the shop for the next two weeks because our oldest son and his
family are coming in from Texas and we haven't seen them for about 6 years and
they are driving from near San Antonio.I intend to make more triggers when their
visit is finished.
Bob Roller
« Last Edit: June 01, 2021, 02:57:55 AM by Bob Roller »

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2021, 02:55:26 AM »

It IS possible to make only one of these triggers.It is NOT possible to make less than one. ;D ;D

Bob Roller

Offline Dennis Daigger

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2021, 09:17:30 PM »
Some background on this project. Morris Melani is the owner of Alaska Arms LLC and he created these triggers from paper sketches of a Jaeger rifle's components. The three views of the trigger components were traced into MasterCAM from a transparency print I did of the paper sketches and then solids of each part were created. This is a difficult way to get there but lacking an actual trigger set that could be 3D scanned there wasn't much of an option.

I have collaborated with Morris on a number of projects and his work is outstanding as I expect these trigger sets to be. I've had several trigger cast sets in hand and imagined the amount of time it would take to simply turn them into mediocre products and even if I was willing to work for $10 an hour the trigger sets that Morris has produced will be a bargain.
Dennis

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2021, 09:36:37 PM »
Some background on this project. Morris Melani is the owner of Alaska Arms LLC and he created these triggers from paper sketches of a Jaeger rifle's components. The three views of the trigger components were traced into MasterCAM from a transparency print I did of the paper sketches and then solids of each part were created. This is a difficult way to get there but lacking an actual trigger set that could be 3D scanned there wasn't much of an option.

I have collaborated with Morris on a number of projects and his work is outstanding as I expect these trigger sets to be. I've had several trigger cast sets in hand and imagined the amount of time it would take to simply turn them into mediocre products and even if I was willing to work for $10 an hour the trigger sets that Morris has produced will be a bargain.
Dennis

Dennis,

I couldn't agree more.  Well said.  I'm surprised how tolerant people are of triggers and locks that are mediocre at best and likely much worse.  It actually blows my mind how producers of some of this stuff can stay in business.  I guess many don't know or care about the difference and if it makes the gun go bang on a fairly consistent basis it's good enough.

Jim

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2021, 11:58:15 PM »

Dennis

Dennis,

I couldn't agree more.  Well said.  I'm surprised how tolerant people are of triggers and locks that are mediocre at best and likely much worse.  It actually blows my mind how producers of some of this stuff can stay in business.  I guess many don't know or care about the difference and if it makes the gun go bang on a fairly consistent basis it's good enough.

Jim

Some items start at the bottom and go down from there and as long as the market is there then
there is no need to improve the product.None of us ever thought muzzle loading guns would ever
grow to the point they have and that like the auto industry they have Model T's on one end and the
Duesenberg on the other.There will always be a market for mediocrity and that reflects in some ways
a lack of interest and resources.
Bob Roller
« Last Edit: June 03, 2021, 12:06:57 AM by Bob Roller »

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2021, 12:04:54 AM »
Nice looking triggers.

Did the Germans normally put the decorative finale under the grip instead of toward the front?