Author Topic: Paper cartridge video anyone ?  (Read 3726 times)

Offline Nessmuck

Paper cartridge video anyone ?
« on: April 21, 2021, 06:38:52 AM »
Would like to try those paper cartridges ...for my 62 cal Smoothy.....just need the right video to watch...and thanks !

Offline alacran

Re: Paper cartridge video anyone ?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2021, 01:30:59 PM »
Replaced the power steering mounting bracket in my jeep, in the middle of a snowstorm in downtown Anchorage. That was in 1973, no video was available.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2021, 02:31:59 PM »
Several on YouTube. Search “Making paper cartridges Brown Bess”.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Nessmuck

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2021, 03:44:17 PM »
Replaced the power steering mounting bracket in my jeep, in the middle of a snowstorm in downtown Anchorage. That was in 1973, no video was available.

In 1976 ..I stuffed a big block Chevy motor ( 454) into my Station Wagon ...with no video.....

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2021, 03:51:37 PM »
This is not a topic on what we did before YouTube. Start a new one in Over the Back Fence if interested in that.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Nessmuck

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2021, 04:08:45 PM »
This is not a topic on what we did before YouTube. Start a new one in Over the Back Fence if interested in that.

Got it Rich....and thanks for the Mike Bellieveu Brown Bess cartridge making video !

Offline Bsharp

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2021, 04:15:03 PM »
A little different slant, Tapered Paper Cartridges.

I wrote this several years back.

http://rjrenner.blogspot.com/p/tapered-paper-cartridges.html
Get Close and Wack'em Hard!

Offline Nessmuck

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2021, 04:52:20 PM »
Nice write up..and thanks Bsharp !

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2021, 05:11:46 PM »
Mine are the tapered variety. They work fabulously.

Online Daryl

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2021, 08:33:48 PM »
DITTO - these were for a short .75 Bess.

Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2021, 10:03:45 PM »
Tell me how the ball escapes the folded over and glued paper?
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Longknife

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2021, 12:12:33 AM »
This is not PC but when i started shooting smoothbores in the mid 80's there wasn't any u tube videos or websites that I could go to for instructions to learn paper cartridge making. All I knew was the guys at "The Fort" did it and I heard they use brown paper bags. I cut up a brown paper bag and rolled some and my "accuracy" went to #3!!, Upon close inspection of some targets I concluded that the paper was not "blowing off of the ball all the time. I then had a thought, need lighter paper, so I made some out of post it notes. The notes had a nifty tacky side that sealed them up pretty well and the paper was light enough to blow clean off of the ball. accuracy restored.  I then noticed that after several rounds the bore would begin to fowl, badly. Thats when I began dipping the ball end of the cart' in warm lube, that cured the fowling problem.....Ed
Ed Hamberg

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2021, 12:19:22 AM »

That part is easy. You invert it and tear off the excess paper. Basically a paper patched RB. Now what escapes me is how the ball escapes the English/US style where they tied over and under the ball.
Psalms 144

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2021, 01:54:56 AM »
Paper cartridge making is a subject that I do really enjoy. Well, cartridge making in general. There were about as many different methods for making cartridges as there were countries that made them, and even several different ways of making cartridges even within the same country (or wannabe country...ahem CSA). Some of these methods followed a lot of logic and an approach that seems as if the end user had a say in their production, and some were rather bizarre, and honestly I have no idea how some even managed to make it to a battlefield intact. The two methods that seem to be the most logical are the French and English methods, and the US eventually settled upon a hybrid French/English method sometime following the 1812 war.  One side of this particular subject that I have found somewhat frustrating is being able to document when ready made cartridges started to gain in popularity. And even when commercially made civil cartridges became available is still no indicator of whether some settler remembered the speed his military cartridges gave him and rolled up a few to carry in his pouch, for the times when speed meant life.
Psalms 144

Offline Nessmuck

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2021, 03:13:23 AM »
This is not PC but when i started shooting smoothbores in the mid 80's there wasn't any u tube videos or websites that I could go to for instructions to learn paper cartridge making. All I knew was the guys at "The Fort" did it and I heard they use brown paper bags. I cut up a brown paper bag and rolled some and my "accuracy" went to #3!!, Upon close inspection of some targets I concluded that the paper was not "blowing off of the ball all the time. I then had a thought, need lighter paper, so I made some out of post it notes. The notes had a nifty tacky side that sealed them up pretty well and the paper was light enough to blow clean off of the ball. accuracy restored.  I then noticed that after several rounds the bore would begin to fowl, badly. Thats when I began dipping the ball end of the cart' in warm lube, that cured the fowling problem.....Ed

Yup...when I started fur trapping ...no videos either. I think all us old !@#$% on here grew up with no internet and phone. But I did just fix my clothes dryer from you-tube...lol ..Saved me a boatload of cash.

Online Daryl

« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2021, 05:18:59 AM »

Don't know, Taylor, but it just does - in these and in my rifle loads. Mine were too tight to thumb start, but a choked up
ram rod worked very well & the whole of the paper ctg. was wadded up between the ball and the powder charge.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 05:22:36 AM by Daryl »
Daryl

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2021, 06:00:10 AM »

By sheer will. Each and every time.

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2021, 03:13:27 PM »
One thing to consider is the grain direction of the paper.  It makes a difference for when you try to tear the end off the cartridge in the field.

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2021, 07:51:37 PM »
One thing to consider is the grain direction of the paper.  It makes a difference for when you try to tear the end off the cartridge in the field.

I have never found any need to worry about grain direction when using the correct type of light paper that was commonly used way back when. Newprint and that light brown packing paper is both durable and easily torn when formed.
Psalms 144

Online Daryl

« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2021, 09:35:26 PM »
With the tapered ctgs. I made, I didn't pay any attention to the paper's grain structure and never had trouble tearing
off the little end with my front teeth. I may have been lucky, or the paper I used might have had a short grain structure.
Daryl

Offline Nessmuck

« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2021, 09:42:29 PM »

Iam detecting a little sarcasm.......lol

Online Daryl

« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2021, 09:50:13 PM »
I don't think so, Nessmuk. If the ctg. is made with a large diameter base to tear, it is quite possible the tear will run down the side of the ctg.
if that is the paper's grain direction.
This will result in a ruined shot as all of the powder won't be going into the bore, but onto the ground.

To quote one member here about hit paper ctgs.

"The cartridges made with the .600 balls are a tad less accurate, but not by much.  Anything less than the 100 gr charge opens up the group"
« Last Edit: April 24, 2021, 10:02:27 PM by Daryl »
Daryl

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2021, 03:55:07 AM »
I have had some papers which tore rather haphazardly , so I like to double check the tear direction before making cartridges....just a habit. If you loose some powder, your shot may be affected.
When shooting this month's smoothbore match, my last shot was loaded with the full charge, but with the bare ball under the cartridge paper as a wad due to fouling.  The result was the same as less powder ie lower velocity, so the shot hit low by 4 inches.  Not a big deal when shooting for fun alone, but when hunting, I want all the accuracy I can get.

Offline Nessmuck

« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2021, 06:13:04 AM »
I have had some papers which tore rather haphazardly , so I like to double check the tear direction before making cartridges....just a habit. If you loose some powder, your shot may be affected.
When shooting this month's smoothbore match, my last shot was loaded with the full charge, but with the bare ball under the cartridge paper as a wad due to fouling.  The result was the same as less powder ie lower velocity, so the shot hit low by 4 inches.  Not a big deal when shooting for fun alone, but when hunting, I want all the accuracy I can get.

Bob....what kind of paper should I be looking for, to try making these cartridges...and thanks

Online Daryl

« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2021, 06:52:00 AM »
When I started making and using ctgs. I used printing paper, after taking off the side perforations for the ratchets.
After I purchased an ink-jet printer I used the 18 or 20 pound paper. If I was making them today, the ordinary printing
paper my B&W Brother printer uses, in 20 pound as that is what I have & print out for targets.
Daryl