Author Topic: Taking black powder to Canada ?  (Read 3695 times)

Offline Daryl

Re: Taking black powder to Canada ?
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2021, 02:07:24 AM »
LOL- I was going to make a comment about bait, but I won't. ;D
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2021, 06:33:57 AM »
Daryl, reminds me of the time the Canadian customs said I could not bring chicken into Canada because of Avian Bird Flu.  I had to go back to US Customs and dispose of my $40.00 worth of bonuses chicken breasts. They would have made good bait if I was baiting.  ;D
« Last Edit: May 09, 2021, 04:34:19 PM by smylee grouch »

Offline Daryl

« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2021, 08:51:55 PM »
LOL - I had a small baggie of sliced carrot pieces in my carry-on luggage, attempting to get though US customs. LOL  I said to the gal, why don't you take them,
I'd hate to see them go into the garbage. They're really sweet carrots. She let me take them aboard the plane.
No fruits or vegetables to cross the border. I had forgotten them were in my luggage. I was supposed to eat them before getting to Vancouver, for our flight to Los Angeles
then to Australia.
Daryl

Offline Waksupi

• Ric Carter, Somers, Montana
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2021, 10:56:04 PM »
I've never had any problems driving to shoots in Canada with flintlocks and BP. I also shot varmints up there a lot, and took modern rifles and ammo. At our particular border crossing, they never did look at any of the guns. I used to go up there often enough I got a Purchase and Acquisition License, both unrestricted and restricted, so it would streamline border crossings, and buy a gun or supplies if I chose to.

One interesting thing I have put to use many times, is Montana is a quarantine area for potatoes, as much of Idaho's seed stock comes from here. When coming back through US customs, they ask if you have any produce. I told them I had some potato peelings in my garbage bag. They took the whole thing! After that, I always told them the same thing, regardless of if I had potato peels or not!
Ric Carter
Somers, Montana

Offline Waksupi

• Ric Carter, Somers, Montana
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2021, 11:09:16 PM »
Craig: The PAL card (possession-acquisition) will get you into Canada without having to pay the $25CD fee. Getting the card is a process of taking a safety class, getting a background check, pay fees, getting references and maybe more. Other wise you pay the $25CD fee at the border for center fire and Perc. ML guns. Leave the cat bait at home as it's not allowed to bring bait into Canada.  ;D

The test I took in Elk River was the a#$%?~!@ thing I ever saw. All the answers were on the walls of the test room. Not needed, as I swear the test was written by a grade school kid. When the tester took me into another room to see if I was familiar with firearms, he had about ten long guns leaned up on the front of the table. He walked behind the table, leaned on it, and all the guns fell over in a pile. I was horrified, he was dumbfounded. He cut that part short, and I was wondering if I would get out of there alive without that particular rocket surgeon shooting me? Anyway, I aced both tests.

When I came up for renewal, the RCMP sent a request for a current background check from the local sheriff. I had a current check from the FBI, since I was working for a gun company at the time. So, I sent that to them. Nope, no good, I got a letter back in a week or so, insisting on the local sheriff's okey dokey. I had to pay $10 for them to do the background check to send to Canada.
Ric Carter
Somers, Montana

Offline Daryl

« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2021, 12:30:48 AM »
I've never had any problems driving to shoots in Canada with flintlocks and BP. I also shot varmints up there a lot, and took modern rifles and ammo. At our particular border crossing, they never did look at any of the guns. I used to go up there often enough I got a Purchase and Acquisition License, both unrestricted and restricted, so it would streamline border crossings, and buy a gun or supplies if I chose to.

One interesting thing I have put to use many times, is Montana is a quarantine area for potatoes, as much of Idaho's seed stock comes from here. When coming back through US customs, they ask if you have any produce. I told them I had some potato peelings in my garbage bag.They took the whole thing! After that, I always told them the same thing, regardless of if I had potato peels or not!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Daryl

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2021, 02:22:25 AM »
No cats, no  cat bait.  Two flintlocks, balls, patches, lube, cleaning stuff, ONE pound of ffG, couple flints, and my camping stuff.  And Miss Sunny, my Service Dog, and her canned dog food.  And if I had a friend to leave her with, I would do that.  But the last two times I left her, she escaped and went to our house.  One trip was 6 miles, other was 16, across two rivers, busy highway, and train tracks.  But she is VERY gunshot shy, thus the desire to leave her.

I will be due to get a new Service Dog this next year, Sunny is about 15 now, and the VA wants me to get a younger dog.  She is rarely more than 15' from me, and knows most of the cashiers at Tractor Supply and Walmart.  Looking for maybe an Australian Shepherd.  Herding dogs do make splendid people-taker-care-of dogs.  Expensive, tho, with all the training.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2021, 08:00:28 PM »
The Australian Shepherds are nice dogs - very loving. Liver and white, the 2 I've seen.
Daryl

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2021, 01:41:05 AM »
My last one - and my only Aussie Shepherd, was a red merle.  Kind of orangey and brown over white.

Neighbor a few houses down had a pair of those little monster dogs.  Not sure of the exact breeds, as I dislike little dogs with attitudes, an di learned working for several vets that it is the little rascals that hurt you.  Nasty little-----

So, these two had the temerity to come into my yard and  start yapping at Talvez, my dog.  He would herd about anything, and decided to herd those two back to where they belonged.  He was turning so fast, honest to goodness, dirt was flying off his back feet like a dragster hurling bits of rubber.  Bowled over the first one, got the other.  Then turned so sharp that he got the first one again, then the second.  Kept that up until they were well and truly up on their own porch.

He turned around, peed on the edge of the porch, and calmly walked back to my place.  I was laughing so hard I couldn't stand up!
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2021, 03:20:30 AM »
That was a riot just reading it. Good visuals, Craig. Tks.
The liver and white, is the Springer-type colouring.

Daryl