Author Topic: price of powder  (Read 6956 times)

Offline yip

price of powder
« on: September 07, 2009, 09:54:34 PM »
is it me, or has anyone notice the price of black powder lately? i remember when i got started shooting powder was a wapping $5.00 a pound. now its going for around $20.00 a pound.is it me or are they trying to price us out of shooting? its a shame when a lawbiding citizen can't enjoy a day of shooting without worrying how to pay for it ther has to be a way

Offline T*O*F

Re: price of powder
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2009, 10:54:37 PM »
is it me, or has anyone notice the price of black powder lately? i remember when i got started shooting powder was a wapping $5.00 a pound. now its going for around $20.00 a pound.
It's you.  Cokes were only a nickel back then too.

its a shame when a lawbiding citizen can't enjoy a day of shooting without worrying how to pay for it ther has to be a way
Whether one is a law abiding citizen or a crook has nothing to do with one's ability to enjoy a hobby.  Seems like all hobbies are expensive these days.

There's an old proverb/poem which I can't remember that says something to the effect of buy it , make it or do without.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline TPH

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2009, 11:07:01 PM »
is it me, or has anyone notice the price of black powder lately? i remember when i got started shooting powder was a wapping $5.00 a pound. now its going for around $20.00 a pound.
It's you.  Cokes were only a nickel back then too.

No, when Coke was just a nickel, DuPont powder was $1.25 a pound. :D
T.P. Hern

chuck-ia

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2009, 11:32:35 PM »
You might want to check some of the distributers, I was thinking Powder Inc. prices were around 13.00 to 14.00 a pound shipped. chuck

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2009, 11:35:52 PM »
Anyone priced golfing lately?  ;D  I say that a golf coarse is a waste of a shooting range :D , but some of my family golf, and it is a lot more expensive than shooting!
Price of GOEX around here is around  $30 -32 a pound. And that is if you can find it. I drive 4 hours one way, to buy it by the case from the distributor. I paid 18.50 a lb. for 25 lb case
It is the time we live in.

Ron T.

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2009, 12:13:32 AM »
At Friendship in June of this year, Goex was $14 a pound and Swiss was $22 a pound.  I bought some of each.    

Swiss powders are nice, but I don't know if they're worth half again (plus a buck) as much as Goex.

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 12:14:20 AM by Ron T. »

VtBlackdog

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2009, 01:08:21 AM »
I just got my first "real" ML; I got sick of everyone hording modern stuff and sold a bunch of "britchloaders"....I haven't seen small pistol primers here in like five months.  At least BP stuff is available!

Candle Snuffer

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2009, 01:49:07 AM »
I just got my first "real" ML; I got sick of everyone hording modern stuff and sold a bunch of "britchloaders"....I haven't seen small pistol primers here in like five months.  At least BP stuff is available!

There may be a lot of folks come into this hobby because of the very reason you mentioned.  Welcome! :)

As for powder prices.  Buying it by the case is cheaper.  Sure, I'd like to buy $5.00 a pound BP again,,, and I'd also like to buy .37 cent a gallon gas again.  Don't see either happening so as with every sport...  If you're going to play - you got'a pay...

I'm just thankful we can get real Black Powder.  Flintlocks love this stuff! ;)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 01:50:48 AM by Candle Snuffer »

caliber45

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2009, 02:58:29 AM »
@!*%, Yip -- You're keeping me busy. I'll "second the motion" of the other poster about Powder, Inc. Last batch of Goex I ordered from them was about $13.50 a pound (five pounds minimum?), plus the $22.50 or so UPS charges for "hazardous cargo." Much better than the $27.50 or more per pound I was paying for "imitation" black powder locally (Tucson). -- paulallen

Offline yip

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2009, 03:29:19 AM »
  i know ,i know i complain alot, but maybe when obama gets us a health care plan, we can afford to buy powder.  i hope !

Leatherbelly

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2009, 11:34:36 PM »
  WOW! Cokes were a nickel in 1958 around here. I didn't know what Blackpowder was back then! Thanks TOF,that just brought back some fond memories. In '58 my Dad would go to Hank Fast's service for an oil change and Pa would buy us both a Coca Cola. $.05 if we drank them there,$.06 if we took the bottle with us. They were those lightly green tinted small bottles. Maybe a chocolate bar if I behaved. "Cuban Lunch" were my Dad's favourite. sorry,off track again.

ironsights1

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2009, 01:09:07 AM »
Google "Jack's Powder Keg" and you'll find Goex selling for $12.60 a pound delivered if purchased in a 25# lot.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2009, 02:49:09 AM »
Ordering it in lots of 10-25 is about the cheapest.  I use to buy Dupont at $1.00 a pound!  Long time ago, sigh.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Daryl

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2009, 12:05:52 AM »
We're told Dupont bought GOEX - is this true?  Our BP prices went up this year - $22.00 from one source and $21.00 form another both for cans.  $20.00 by the 25 pound bag.

Candle Snuffer

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2009, 12:34:07 AM »
From what I've read, this is true.  DuPont did by Goex.

chapmans

« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2009, 04:38:45 AM »
I believe Hodgdon bought out Goex, Goex( Gerhart Owen Industries GOI) bought out DuPont black powder division years ago.
  Steve C.

Offline Herb

« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2009, 06:31:33 AM »
Yep, powder went up in the mountains, too.  Last August I bought 25 pounds of bulk Goex 3F from Bear River Powder at the Rocky Mountain National Rendezvous up in Wyoming.  $9.47 a pound, I think it was, I walked out with it.  This year I got to Fort Bridger Rendezvous on Thursday, traders weren't open.  Left my check with a friend, got Bear River Powder's last bulk bag of Goex 2F.  $250- or $10 a pound.
Herb

Candle Snuffer

« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2009, 02:47:41 PM »
I believe Hodgdon bought out Goex, Goex( Gerhart Owen Industries GOI) bought out DuPont black powder division years ago.
  Steve C.

Yes, that's right Steve.  I go confussed...