Author Topic: Pinewood Derby Soddy Daisy  (Read 18584 times)

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
Re: Pinewood Derby Soddy Daisy
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2021, 11:25:03 PM »
Looking good.  Nice walnut stock.

Ken
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

Offline Daniel Coats

« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2021, 11:39:54 PM »
Today's pictures show the walnut stock blank with the layout lines and a closeup of where the ramrod hole was drilled. The extra long drill bit held up just fine and there was no need to weld it at the splice. The end of the ramrod hole will be ground zero and the main data point for the entire build of the gun. Next up will be locating the ramrod hole and inletting the barrel. The idea of drilling the ramrod hole first and and letting the barrel second came from Josh Wrightsman's video on YouTube. The sequence should eliminate any problems with drill bit run out.

Dan

"Ain't no nipples on a man's rifle"

Offline Daniel Coats

« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2021, 04:15:16 AM »
Ramrod hole turned out perfect. You can see the location pin. Project is going well so far.

All those cuts were done by hand with an antique crosscut saw from the ranch I grew up on. Lines drawn with a modern blue sharpie!  ;D

Pencil just disappears on walnut.
Dan

Offline Daryl

« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2021, 04:59:05 AM »
Cool! A little sanding and you'll be done!
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Daniel Coats

« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2021, 03:54:21 PM »
Cool! A little sanding and you'll be done!

;D ;D
Dan

Offline Daniel Coats

« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2021, 06:09:32 PM »
I'm experimenting with a different sequence of events by drilling the ramrod hole first before the barrel channel inlet on my current project. After the ramrod hole was complete I drilled a small location hole on the underside of the stock near the breech. Now that I know the exact location and depth I can draw the ramrod and barrel accurately on the stock and hopefully nail the web thickness. Next I'll locate the ramrod hole from the top and orient the barrel so the ramrod hole is moved away from the lock area slightly and leave extra wood to help support the wrist. Then I'll inlet the barrel.
Dan

Offline Daniel Coats

« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2021, 04:39:05 AM »
Sanded all the lines off and drew them again using the ramrod locating pin as ground zero. Much more precise than before and looked good enough to cut the top line of the forearm with the hand saw. Long tang breech plug arrived so next up will be installing it and then inletting the barrel. Noticed a good amount of stress relief in the 1/2 inch by 4 foot long piece of wood removed from the top of the forearm. This walnut stock blank is exceptionally hard and dense.
Dan

Offline Daniel Coats

« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2021, 10:51:24 PM »
Offset mark kicking the barrel to the right of zero. Changed my mind about inletting the barrel and long tailed tang at the same time. Proceeding now inletting the barrel one small chip at a time by hand with chisels and gouge.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2021, 04:37:17 PM by Daniel Coats »
Dan

Offline Daniel Coats

« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2021, 04:44:02 AM »
Barrels in the stock. Need to verify the web thickness at the breech using ground zero as my reference point. Might be inletting a touch deeper but we'll see.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2021, 04:37:46 PM by Daniel Coats »
Dan

Offline Daryl

« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2021, 05:09:55 AM »
Nice! Good outline.  Nice piece of wood, too.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2021, 02:07:24 PM »
Looking good Dan.

Offline duca

« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2021, 11:23:45 PM »
Excellent  tutorial looking forward to see what’s next. Thanks for letting us be with you on your build

Anthony
...and on the eighth day
God created the Longrifle...

Offline Daniel Coats

« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2021, 03:44:43 AM »
Thanks for the comments it's been a fun process so far and everything is going according to plan. I was able to inlet the barrel slightly deeper and achieve the web thickness I was looking for. Here's a picture from today cutting out more of the outline of the stock profile. Yes of course it would be faster to use a bandsaw but my experience with power tools is that yes they cut faster sometimes in the wrong place. Besides it's more fun using Dad's old handsaw he had on the ranch.

Dan

Offline Daniel Coats

« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2021, 04:36:33 AM »
Who says you can't use hand tools the same way they were 200 years ago? Of course my production is extremely limited and this may be the only Soddy I ever build this way. I've given her a name in honor of a hit song by Little Richard recorded the year I was born 1956. She's called Long Tall Sally. Hope y'all take a liking to her.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2021, 05:05:49 AM by Daniel Coats »
Dan

Offline mikeyfirelock

• Age ? Voted for Nixon
« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2021, 02:29:03 PM »
It’s nice to see someone else using hand tools.  I use a frame saw to cut the stock.
Mike Mullins

Offline Daniel Coats

« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2021, 02:19:55 AM »
Forged a barrel underlug  strip out of .065 copper. Should be enough to cut into 4 pieces. Took me 3 tries to get one thin enough not to poke through the ramrod channel. My plan is to dovetail and solder.

Dan

Offline Daniel Coats

« Reply #41 on: May 06, 2021, 05:23:15 AM »
Got the long tailed tang installed using that blue sharpie as a transfer agent. Forged two copper ramrod pipes for Long Tall Sally who's personality is showing more everyday. Really need that Kibler lock before I go much further on the wrist profile.

temporary image hosting
Dan

Offline Daniel Coats

« Reply #42 on: May 06, 2021, 05:46:53 AM »
More detail on the ramrod pipe construction. Started off with .065 copper sheet 1 1/2 inches wide for a 5/16 ramrod, might make one more 3/8 but we'll see. Annealed the copper by heating up orange and quenching in water. Calculated the size to shear off and to include the lips. 5/16 x 3.14 + .25 + .25 = 1.5 so the finished sized is square 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 bend the lips on each end using a vise and a block of hardwood and hammer. Next I placed the material across the vise opening and tapped the ramrod drill into the middle using it as a mandrel. Incidentally material for a 3/8 ramrod would be about 1 5/8 x 1 1/2, layout direction would matter on that one since it's not square.

Don't see any need to temper the copper as it seems plenty strong.
Dan

Offline duca

« Reply #43 on: May 06, 2021, 08:08:59 AM »
Hey Dan unless I missed it did you say what caliber it is?

Anthony
...and on the eighth day
God created the Longrifle...

Offline Daniel Coats

« Reply #44 on: May 06, 2021, 03:57:30 PM »
Hey Dan unless I missed it did you say what caliber it is?

Anthony

The barrel is a .50 caliber Rice Southern Classic 48 inches long. The 5/16 ramrod hole will help keep the belly of the stock profile skinny as a teenage girl on prom night !  ;D

Ramrod is planned to be 3/8 at the front end, maybe bigger we'll see.
Dan

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #45 on: May 06, 2021, 05:02:17 PM »
  Those copper ramrod pipes should look good against that walnut stock. Not sure if I seen them before on a Soddy.  Will add to the cool factor...
 Oldtravler

Offline Daniel Coats

« Reply #46 on: May 06, 2021, 10:07:48 PM »
  Those copper ramrod pipes should look good against that walnut stock. Not sure if I seen them before on a Soddy.  Will add to the cool factor...
 Oldtravler

We will see if I use them or not. I've not seen copper pipes on any original gun. Definitely trying for the cool factor on this rifle and having a ball with different ideas!

Ended up building 4 to yield 3 and right now I'm leaning towards using them. The big one is 3/8 of an inch and goes up front.

Dan

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #47 on: May 07, 2021, 12:41:12 AM »
  Daniel just remember one thing. Just because we haven't seen it. Doesn't mean it didn't happen. We all go by existing examples.  Never say Never but I could be wrong but hey it would be cool.
  Duprey uses it all the time. So it's your gun to for it...
Oldtravler

Offline Daniel Coats

« Reply #48 on: May 07, 2021, 01:03:56 AM »
I believe I will use them!

Jack Duprey and me in the same sentence now that's a first!  8) LOL

Like I told my friend Don Bruton, makes me happier than a dog rolling on a dead skunk!  ;D
Dan

Offline Herb

« Reply #49 on: May 07, 2021, 02:04:57 AM »
Dan, the Bridger Hawken has the toe plate and butt plate riveted together.  When the Green River Rifle Works had the rifle in 1977, they took the assembly off in one piece.  I think maybe the toe had gotten broken off, there is about 8 inches pitch down at the muzzle compared to only about 3 inches on the Carson Hawken.  I riveted my first copy of the Bridger Hawken.
Herb