Author Topic: Dry Fire?  (Read 4514 times)

VtBlackdog

Dry Fire?
« on: September 08, 2009, 04:31:28 AM »
My rifle has an L&R lock;

is there a right way/wrong way to do dry fire practice?

thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 04:31:57 AM by VtBlackdog »

Offline SCLoyalist

Re: Dry Fire?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 04:54:00 AM »
Keep the hammer all the way down, and you can work the set triggers.   I think there is risk of damage or deformation of the gun's internals, trigger bar or sear,  if you work the triggers with the hammer at half cock.

Very rarely, I'll practice one or two shots letting the hammer go from full cock, but will either put a couple of faucet washers over the nipple to absorb the blow, or, for flint, replace the flint with a wooden wedge.

If you're going to practice dryfiring regularly, and it's a worthwhile endeavor, do so w/ hammer down & uncocked.

SCL

VtBlackdog

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 05:30:45 AM »
my gun has a single trigger;

the wooden "flint" sounds like a good idea, thanks.

beleg2

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2009, 02:19:02 PM »
Hi,
I use .32" lead bullets stuck in the hammer of my percussion guns (remove the nipple first).
This way, the lead works like a cushion.

Martin

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2009, 03:32:44 PM »

Martin

Be careful that the lead doesn't squish down lower that the nipple height. The lock internals can be damaged if the hammer travels so far that the tumbler hits the bridle stop.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2009, 04:03:34 PM »

Martin

Be careful that the lead doesn't squish down lower that the nipple height. The lock internals can be damaged if the hammer travels so far that the tumbler hits the bridle stop.

And/or lock mortise damage..
Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Collector

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2009, 05:17:44 PM »
Suggestion: For dry firing a percussion piece, take an automobile tire valve, cut/trim the neck and base off to desired height and slip over the nipple.  It generally fits snugly, provides a cushion, prevents the hammer from over-travel and they're readily available.  A used and/or discarded valve is just as serviceable as a new one and if you have a tire service center near you, a lifetime supply could be had for the mere asking.  You could just leave it on, if you've a mind to, until you're actually ready to shoot it.  Good luck!

VtBlackdog

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2009, 05:46:47 PM »
guess I didn't specify that its a flinter, I need to get the feel for the hammer hitting the frizzen.

Offline SCLoyalist

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2009, 06:18:39 PM »
Single, non-set trigger and a flint gun,  I'd say your choices are limited to the wooden wedge or putting an old flint in the jaws.     

If you're just getting started in flintlocks, it might not be a bad idea to start with the wooden wedge, and then, when you're satisfied you've become used to the triggers and are keeping the sights on target when the hammer falls, switch to a real flint and prime the pan to teach yourself to ignore the fireworks display and stay focused on the sight picture.  To keep from having to clean the barrel  afterward, shove a toothpick in the vent to keep any residue from migrating into the barrel.

SCL

beleg2

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2009, 06:46:37 PM »

Thanks I will take care.

Martin

VtBlackdog

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2009, 07:45:35 PM »
Single, non-set trigger and a flint gun,  I'd say your choices are limited to the wooden wedge or putting an old flint in the jaws.     

If you're just getting started in flintlocks, it might not be a bad idea to start with the wooden wedge, and then, when you're satisfied you've become used to the triggers and are keeping the sights on target when the hammer falls, switch to a real flint and prime the pan to teach yourself to ignore the fireworks display and stay focused on the sight picture.  To keep from having to clean the barrel  afterward, shove a toothpick in the vent to keep any residue from migrating into the barrel.

SCL

I"ll take your advice, thanks for the help....
....heading out to hunt tree rats now, my first BP hunt!

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2009, 07:51:47 PM »
I've not tried it personally but recall reading, or someone telling me, they used a piece of one of those hard rubber rectangular pencil erasers - I think the whitish colored "Mars-Staedtler" types - in a flintlock for dry firing practice.  I don't know if they hold up better than wood or not.

Guy