Author Topic: New guy from Missouri  (Read 2157 times)

Offline Hutch

New guy from Missouri
« on: May 09, 2021, 05:30:17 PM »
Hey guys! I've been lurking for months now reading and learning, while patiently awaiting my kibler kit to arrive.  Well it showed up last week and is mostly put together by now, but I figured I better get on and say thanks for all the helpful information!   Don't have any updated pics, actually got most the rest of the fitting done yesterday, but here is one of me starting.  Aside from finish work, I just need to work on the front site a bit and slot the underlugs still. 

A side note.   I have a buddy at work that is an amazing woodcarver.  But he has not done a gunstock yet, I am debating on having him do a little light work on this.  What's a fair price to pay? Not doing anything too crazy. 

Offline albert

Re: New guy from Missouri
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2021, 06:14:37 PM »
Hutch , I'm in N.E.MO , if you are close and need any help send me a personal message.
j albert miles

Offline Hutch

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2021, 06:32:09 PM »
Hutch , I'm in N.E.MO , if you are close and need any help send me a personal message.

I'm down in the Joplin area.  I got dreams of building a double barrel flintlock shotgun, will definitely need some help when I try to tackle that one lol!

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2021, 08:05:15 PM »
You two are about as far apart as Missouri will allow you to get.  ;D
Psalms 144

Offline Hutch

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2021, 08:15:03 PM »
You two are about as far apart as Missouri will allow you to get.  ;D

No joke! 🤣

Offline Daryl

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2021, 08:29:12 PM »
Welcome to the forum, Hutch.
Thinking something like this for your next gun?
Taylor build this gun early 90's, I think.

delete duplicates online
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Hutch

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2021, 08:36:04 PM »
Welcome to the forum, Hutch.
Thinking something like this for your next gun?
Taylor build this gun early 90's, I think.

delete duplicates online

Omg that is perfect!! Yes! Who is Taylor?

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2021, 10:22:06 PM »

Wait....
« Last Edit: May 09, 2021, 10:51:38 PM by Dennis Glazener »

Online Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2021, 10:53:16 PM »
Daryl's brother.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Daryl

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2021, 03:12:44 AM »
I am somewhat proud of him - as a gun maker and brother.

Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Hutch

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2021, 04:41:09 AM »
Well you sir do amazing work!!! Need an apprentice? 😁

Offline BadDaditood

• Starting Member
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2021, 05:11:57 AM »
I’ve been lurking for 5 years and one of the thousands of things I’ve learned is Taylor is one of several here that when he speaks Everyone listens! ::)

Offline Cobweb

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2021, 08:42:03 AM »
Welcome to the forum Hutch!
Lots of nice people on here that will answer any questions you have. I read this forum every day! Great place!
I can't build any more because of eyesight. I don't shoot much because of my knees and can't stand very long. Getting old ain't for sissies.
I know ther're some gun builders in your area but can't think of any names right now. There was a club there in Joplin at one time because we went down for a state championship shoot. They shot in some type of spoils ground just over the Kansas line.
Rod Gates of Cross Timbers MO is about as close as I can come up with now, or maybe Gerald Shavers in Lamar. Both are good guy's and would help you out.

Big John up here near Columbia MO. Smackdab in the middle of Missouri!!
Nobody can help everybody, but everybody can help somebody!

Offline Hutch

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2021, 03:36:17 PM »
I know there is a group that gets together and shoots down in Neosho on Sundays after church, but I have yet to get down there and meet up.  From what I hear they are some great shots, so maybe some more practice is in order before I embarrass myself 🤣🤣

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2021, 08:48:27 PM »
Hutch:  I got it into my head to build a flint double, so I bought an old hammer cartridge shotgun for $75 for its pattern welded barrels, and a copy of Bill Brockway's, "Recreating the Muzzleloading Double Barrelled Shotgun", which I understand is now out of print.  It was a commission gun which has had four owners already, but I'm happy to say it now resides once again  in my stable.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Hutch

« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2021, 10:07:37 PM »
Hutch:  I got it into my head to build a flint double, so I bought an old hammer cartridge shotgun for $75 for its pattern welded barrels, and a copy of Bill Brockway's, "Recreating the Muzzleloading Double Barrelled Shotgun", which I understand is now out of print.  It was a commission gun which has had four owners already, but I'm happy to say it now resides once again  in my stable.

I bought that same book last week lol! Even has the fullsize blueprints still.  I saw a set of 16ga barrels that would work, and is my ideal gauge, but I'm broke at the moment doing this kibler lol! Plus I think I think some experience making one from a chunk of wood beforehand.  Although if there was someone local to guide it along I might just jump on in lol!

Offline pilot

« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2021, 05:20:41 AM »
That shotgun is a real beauty.  I never would have thought about using barrels from a cartridge shotgun.  Well done. 

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2021, 01:07:32 AM »
Hutch, welcome aboard!

You'll find that the first part of a new project is FREE. or almost, and is the best part for making the other parts work:

Get you some kraft paper, or grocery bags in good shape that you can tape together, and draw out what you want.  Track of the Wolf, or Muzzleloader Building Supply have catalogs - tho may be out of print, some one will have one you can borrow, rent, or buy.  They have life-size drawings of locks, butt plates, trigger guards, etc., that you can copy or trace.

Then you can draw a full-size whatever firearm you want, to fit YOU, and add in the tracings.  Get everything that you want to look the way you want it, long before you start getting the pieces together.  Figure trigger pull, off-set or on-set, drop at heel, wrist size and shape, triggers, thimbles, etc.

THEN you can go shopping for stock wood, barrels, locks, and so on.  Makes it much more understandable if you figure it out ahead of time.

By building one of Jim Kibler's kits, you've taken a big first step and know that you can handle the wood, metal, and their fit.

And don't ever be afraid to try something for the first time, like shooting with your friends down at Neosho.  Every one of them had to try it for the first time too, and I bet every one of them will be glad to lend a hand to a new guy.  And you are only a new guy once, so remember the things that you see and learn.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline Hutch

« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2021, 03:07:59 PM »
Hutch, welcome aboard!

You'll find that the first part of a new project is FREE. or almost, and is the best part for making the other parts work:

Get you some kraft paper, or grocery bags in good shape that you can tape together, and draw out what you want.  Track of the Wolf, or Muzzleloader Building Supply have catalogs - tho may be out of print, some one will have one you can borrow, rent, or buy.  They have life-size drawings of locks, butt plates, trigger guards, etc., that you can copy or trace.

Then you can draw a full-size whatever firearm you want, to fit YOU, and add in the tracings.  Get everything that you want to look the way you want it, long before you start getting the pieces together.  Figure trigger pull, off-set or on-set, drop at heel, wrist size and shape, triggers, thimbles, etc.

THEN you can go shopping for stock wood, barrels, locks, and so on.  Makes it much more understandable if you figure it out ahead of time.

By building one of Jim Kibler's kits, you've taken a big first step and know that you can handle the wood, metal, and their fit.

And don't ever be afraid to try something for the first time, like shooting with your friends down at Neosho.  Every one of them had to try it for the first time too, and I bet every one of them will be glad to lend a hand to a new guy.  And you are only a new guy once, so remember the things that you see and learn.

Thank you for the great advice!! The kibler is actually my second kit, my dad got me a little traditions pistol I tossed together while I was waiting for the kibler to arrive, it was a very fun project too.  It was my first time ever firing a flintlock, pretty sure almost a month later I still have the grin on my face 🤣 I have had my hawken percussion rifle for about 15 years now, but haven't really started getting serious in the black powder until the last couple years. 

I bought that book on building a double barrel flintlock, and it actually has the prints in it still, I figured that would be a very good starting point, along with the Kraft paper like you mentioned to get it fit for me.  A few years ago I had a shotgun fitting done(best thing you can ever do if you're a bird hunter) I need to try and dig up my measurements and apply those to this as well. 

Everytime I have went to buy the catalogs they were out of stock, I never realized they had full size drawings though, that's awesome!! I'll definitely have to keep an eye out for one or 2!

Thank you again for all the great advice everyone!!

Offline Hutch

« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2021, 03:35:06 PM »

Pic of my little pistol build.  First gun ever for me 😁

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2021, 12:44:51 AM »
I'm kinda in the midst of a nice Jaeger, designed by Scott.  Beautiful brass work all over the lovely English Oak (from Armenia or someplace like that) that has great figure, and is really great for carving.  My just put my initials all over the butt!  Nah, not really, because the patchbox lid would hide them.

Been through Joplin many times, going to see an Uncle up by KC.  He is looking at his 97th birthday shortly, but in OKC, where we have a bunch of relatives.

My first thought when I saw "from Missouri" was, Show me!  And I think you have.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.