Author Topic: Bucks County LRs..... just some building observations  (Read 1946 times)

Offline flehto

Bucks County LRs..... just some building observations
« on: April 27, 2021, 09:47:26 PM »
To begin.....I'm not an expert on building LRs by any means but seeing I chose BCs as my favorite style of LRs, Schuler's LRs in particular, I'd like to pass on some of the disappointments and successes of building these LRs.

The information on BCs is limited and the building components are also limited......until recently, the TGs and Bplates had to be modified from other styles and fortunately  they resulted in items which looked like they were suitable for a BC build. This took a while and on the 3rd and final  attempt,  the passable  BC TGs and Bplates were  achieved. I think Knob Mountain has a Bplate and TG that really looks good and from original parts.

Schuler made BCs w/ straight comblines and also curved ones.....don't know the reason for this,  but I preferred the curved comblines....so made a tracing of a Schuler buttstock  in RCA 1 w/ a curved combline and  then enlarged it on the  computer to a stated dimension. Have used this template for  all  of my BC builds except the first 2. All my BC builds are from a blank for obvious reasons.

Early on used "C" weight swamped bbls due to my ignorance and although they were somewhat "petite", they weren't petite enough, so went to a "B" weight in .50 cal X 46" long. A 3/8 dia RR was chosen because of the .50 cal. and Dave Rase did the bbl/RR work and also consistently made the web thickness  at the breech  1/16" or slightly less  and the web at the muzzle , 5/32" thick. The smaller bbl  and the thin webs contributed to a very petite LR.

Three features of a BC LR are the curled trigger, the side opening Pbox and the entry pipe w/ an elongated finial....the curled trigger was easy to make, but the entry pipe req'd  form blocks  and originally was made one piece but later on was 2 pieces soldered together. The  side  opening  Pbox posed no problems but the release was somewhat of a secret at that time, but one  well known builder sent me pics of the BC toeplate release...was very grateful.

A leafy cheek star is also a BC feature.

Found that a high lock location was more pleasing and because a 1/4 dia  White Lightning  TH liner was used, the top edge of the liner was very close to the upper corner of the bbl side flat. Actually the 1/16" thick  web at the breech determined the lock vertical position and this varied between the 2 locks used.

The wrist downward  curve is started  approx. 1-1/14" from the breech end of the bbl so the top of the  oblique side flats of the bbl have to be filed to equal the width of the tang....a fake job.

Have used 2 flintlocks....both from Chambers. The Golden Age which is more correct w/ its Germanic design  and the Late Ketland  which to me is more pleasing but of English design. Would have liked to have used the Chambers Dale Johnson but had to quit building because of serious eye problems.

My carving isn't BC .....most original  BC builders used incised carving  and some of it has "washed out" from wear. Tim Adlam has done a beautiful job of engraving ....it seems to be a suitable style,

Some pics are shown below......the top pic is one of the earlier BCs which used a "C:" weight bbl and an earlier Bplate. ......Fred

dice roll online free

« Last Edit: May 08, 2021, 02:43:34 PM by flehto »

Offline yip

Re: Bucks County LRs..... just some building observations
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2021, 10:23:34 PM »
 Fred; your work is super wish i could do half as well, just love those Bucks.  starting my next B/C build and hope to do well, got a Rice barrel B/C profile 1.00" at the breech and .890 at the muzzle  44"long and 45cal. wish me luck

Offline heinz

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2021, 06:42:10 AM »
Fred, thank you very much for taking the time and effort for that very informative post.
kind regards, heinz

Offline flehto

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2021, 02:30:04 PM »
Thanks to all for the kind words. The thin webs have also been used in my Lancasters and worked well.  W/ the 1/16" or slightly less thin webs, a different kind of bbl lug has to be used along w/  a #6-32 front lock bolt. which requires a shallow groove in the bbl. The bbl lug requires a very accurately located pin hole .......Fred

Offline alacran

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2021, 02:40:15 PM »
Fred I really like Bucks County rifles. I built one and found it quite challenging. There is very little info on them and mine was built from photos. A couple of years back you sent me a tracing of your buttstock.  I made hard patterns from them. I was pleased that the buttplate I made when I built my rifle, matched the pattern you sent almost identically. I would like to build one more and if I do I will have all the furniture in hand before I proceed. I think it will be a lot less stressful that way.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline vtmtnman

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2021, 08:22:06 PM »
I wish you were still in the game sir. Your work is top notch and would've love to have a gun built by you.I really like Bucks county guns.

Offline flehto

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2021, 09:48:01 PM »
Hi....my last build {BC} is presently  advertised in the "for sale"  section. Might not be exactly what you want, but it has all the BC features. Completed 10 mos ago.....Fred.

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2021, 10:57:28 PM »
You sure built some nice rifles. I like em ;D
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline A.Merrill

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2021, 09:09:06 PM »
   Thanks Fred for the information, I'm planning a BC this fall if not sooner.   Al
Alan K. Merrill

Offline flehto

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2021, 02:38:34 PM »
Hi....surely would appreciate some in progress pics.....kinda interesting.....Fred

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2021, 08:33:42 PM »
Hi Fred,  I just want to say that I have always admired your work over the many years we have been together here on the ALR.   The Bucks County guns are highly favored by me in the reproduced form as I have not been fortunate enough to ever find and buy an original. In my limited price range that is!!  ;D

Anyway, I built a fairly plain B/C rifle in 45 caliber several years ago that has been my go to deer hunting gun. It has taken more deer than my memory can give number to.  Another B/C piece came my way from a good friend a couple of years ago.  It is another 45 caliber built by the late Stuart Johnstone from Michigan. What I like best about Stu's rendition is his use of a keyed 42" swamped barrel that removes easily from the stock just by sliding the captured keys back and lifting up the barrel.  Patent breeched just like the famed Andrew Verner piece.  I had to do a bit of improvement to this rifle by changing the direct vent touch hole to a Chambers White Lightning liner.  Holy smokes what a difference that made!  The  rifle is well carved in all the right places and is a pleasure to behold.  I felt very lucky to acquire one of Johnstones creations! 
Joel Hall

Offline flehto

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2021, 09:01:09 PM »
Some pics surely would be welcome. All my BCs have a curved combline and the sights align when shouldered...built one Lehigh and this didn't happen w/ it besides giving the cheek a slight  bump.  Sight alignment when mounting  is important w/ a hunting rifle.

My first 4 Lancaster  LRs had keys but discontinued using them because buyers didn't want to pay for them....all my personal MLers have keys as well as all the Hawkens I've built of which I kept one..... all the rest of  my builds wee sold w/ pins.

Below is a pic of the bbl lug I use for a 1/16" thick web at the breech end. All the pins I use in my builds are made from 1/16 dia music wire. For this particular bbl lug, the stiffness of the music wire is a big  plus.  Possibly there are other bbl  lug designs that can be used for such a thin web, but this is what I use. The pin  has a  .005 gap between it and the bottom of the dovetail .......Fred

« Last Edit: May 14, 2021, 02:45:22 PM by flehto »