Author Topic: wet stone holder  (Read 2228 times)

Offline jdm

• member 2
wet stone holder
« on: March 30, 2021, 01:16:33 AM »
I saw a picture of one of these on another post and remembered this one . It's designed to hook on your belt with a wet stone for easy  access when doing a lot of knife work. I've seen several over the years. I like this one because of the date.

JIM

Offline Elnathan

Re: wet stone holder
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2021, 02:31:27 PM »
I seen those illustrated as for use by folks mowing hay and reaping grain, to store a whetstone or stick covered in oily sand so they could touch up the edge of their scythes out in the field.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

Offline Nordnecker

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2021, 01:54:18 PM »
The word "Dengelstock" or similar comes to mind.
"I can no longer stand back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify our precious bodily fluids."- Gen Jack T. Ripper

Offline R.J.Bruce

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2021, 06:50:09 PM »
I'll second it as container for carrying a whetstone for sharpening a scythe in the field. Grain stalks dull the blade fairly quickly, or so I have read.

Offline T.C.Albert

• Global Moderator
    • the hunting pouch
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2021, 04:05:51 AM »
Traditional whet stone horns are still available from Austria actually. To prepare an edge, scythe blades were hammered thin on tiny anvil heads stuck into a log or the ground, stoned , and then hung out overnight to rust the edge and give it bite. During field use they were honed with the stone till they needed anvil peening again. The little anvil/hammer sets are hardly ever seen around here any more, the stones either, but quite a few old horns seem to turn up. I suppose files just took over for crude sharpening as scythes and reaping hooks became ditch wacking tools or even just quaint old decorations rather than integral parts of the harvest and their proper use and the old world sharpening techniques developed to maintain them became another lost art.
Sorry to ramble.
Tim A.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 04:56:16 AM by T.C.Albert »
"...where would you look up another word for thesaurus..."
Contact at : huntingpouch@gmail.com

Offline Frozen Run

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2021, 06:46:14 AM »
Here is a really informative video I watched several years ago, the hired scythe has a similar stone holder on his belt.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2021, 05:25:16 AM »
Amazing video.  There was a sythe in the horse barn in back of our house in South Western Ontario. We really sucked at cutting weeds with it.
Of course it wasn't very sharp, which likely was a good thing. :o
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V