Author Topic: Light 20 gauge roundball loads for whitetail?  (Read 7302 times)

Offline Daryl

Re: Light 20 gauge roundball loads for whitetail?
« Reply #50 on: April 28, 2021, 08:42:54 PM »
# of pellets and pattern is the most important thing, as long as the pellets are large enough & fast enough to do the job at hand, no matter what that job is.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #51 on: April 29, 2021, 08:39:13 PM »
FWIW, In going over this (interesting) thread I came upon an old post of mine where I typed in a load that was quite in error.  In the post I stated that the prb hunting load I use is 70 grns of 3F.  Definitely 70 grains is a load I shoot frequently at the range and sometimes even 60 grains of 3F is used to conserve powder.  In the bush where the deer are my 20 ga will always be loaded with 75 grains of 3F if a prb is used.  Just to be clear.  8)
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline alacran

« Reply #52 on: May 05, 2021, 01:37:14 PM »
FWIW, In going over this (interesting) thread I came upon an old post of mine where I typed in a load that was quite in error.  In the post I stated that the prb hunting load I use is 70 grns of 3F.  Definitely 70 grains is a load I shoot frequently at the range and sometimes even 60 grains of 3F is used to conserve powder.  In the bush where the deer are my 20 ga will always be loaded with 75 grains of 3F if a prb is used.  Just to be clear.  8)
A 5 grain difference, being less than 10 % of the total load is not going to be of any significance.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #53 on: May 05, 2021, 11:03:26 PM »
After hearing from Bob in the Woods, I believe I will tote my nice English double 10-bore.  Back-up shot ready already in the left barrel.

I used to reliably hit 10" targets at 200-250 yards, every time.  Alas, that 10-bore must be wearing out, because now, at age 75, I find it to be unreliable at any longer distance than 100 yards.  And looking at that old double, I better bring that upper limit back to about 70 yards.  Shame these old guns lose their accuracy with the passing of the years.

For deer, I do have a pair of 20-bores that actually shoot pretty well.  And hopefully, by next hunting season, I will have a nifty .62 cal Jaeger all ready to go.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #54 on: May 06, 2021, 07:00:23 AM »
That little small bore Jaeger should work out find, at least on the smaller deer.
The larger the hole, the further they will shoot, if you feed them what they want.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V