Author Topic: English flints not flat  (Read 2467 times)

Offline Carney Pace

English flints not flat
« on: May 04, 2021, 01:43:09 AM »
Getting to the last of my Tom Fuller flints, ordered a bunch 25 yeas ago.  Have picked through them so many times the ones left a peak on them which makes them way to thick.  Also will work loose in the  jaw when shooting.
I have tried knapping the peak and cannot get it  off.
Any suggestions or cures?
Thanks
Carney

Offline martin9

Re: English flints not flat
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2021, 02:11:07 AM »
I have heard several times that a coarse diamond sharpening stone will get  the hump off a flint. I haven't tried it myself though.

Offline EC121

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2021, 02:28:23 AM »
I use a Mizzy(brand name) wheel in a Dremel to knock the tops off my humped flints.  They have different grits and diameters. Search for Mizzy wheels.   A green stone(carbide tool grinding wheel) will work on a bench grinder, but the flints will get hot and crack if you hit the wheel too hard.  Wear a mask.  You don't want to breathe the flint dust.
Brice Stultz

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2021, 02:53:53 AM »
 I just use those pointy topped flints to even up the grinding wheels on my bench grinder, it flattens them enough to make them work.

Hungry Horse

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2021, 02:54:30 AM »
I have used those diamond stones and grind stones too for that same thing. Go slow and don't get it too hot. I try to notch the back of the flint with the grind stone so it will fit back in the jaws a little farther and it seems to help some what. Wear safety glasses and go slow.

Offline Brokennock

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2021, 06:23:40 AM »
I have a post here somewhere, I think, definitely on the muzzleloading forum, about using a diamond file.

Power tools are totally unnecessary for this project. The biggest issue for me was holding the flint so I could file it.
Breathing protection is necessary. Do not breath the dust from grinding or filing flints.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2021, 08:11:24 AM »
I have used the green stone on my bench grinder. Just need to go slowly, so the stone doesn't overheat and crack.
Greenstone - could probably just lay the green stone on a flat surface and by hand, rub the flint on it to wear away
the peak.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2021, 04:41:12 PM »
I just use some epoxy to create the flat. I had about a dozen that were unusable , so mixed up some 5 minute stuff and did the bunch. Doesn't take much..just a bit on either side of the peak.
Anything that keeps my fingers away from the grinder is a good thing !

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2021, 05:21:33 PM »
I just use some epoxy to create the flat. I had about a dozen that were unusable , so mixed up some 5 minute stuff and did the bunch. Doesn't take much..just a bit on either side of the peak.
Anything that keeps my fingers away from the grinder is a good thing !

And don't you love that 5-min JB finishes black in color rather than their normal duct tape gray.   ;D

Hold to the Wind

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2021, 09:20:32 PM »
Does anyone still import German white agates from Guenter Stifter in Gemany?
I sent out a number of locks with one in the cock.Uniform dimensions to me mean
a lot. and these cut "flints"had them.
Bob Roller

Offline Daryl

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2021, 12:15:13 AM »
I bought a package of those (or some) cut agate-flints once.  2 out of 3 broke the first shot, but the one that didn't break, gave a 1/2 dozen shots before it-too broke.
Back to Rich's river rocks (I still have some) that last for close to or over 100 shots.
Daryl

Offline Hank*in*WV

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2021, 01:38:51 AM »
I use a dab of hot-melt glue on top, then flatten it in my (wood jawed) vice. Works well...
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2021, 03:16:57 PM »
I bought a package of those (or some) cut agate-flints once.  2 out of 3 broke the first shot, but the one that didn't break, gave a 1/2 dozen shots before it-too broke.
Back to Rich's river rocks (I still have some) that last for close to or over 100 shots.

I never had that problem with the agates from Stifter but spin offs may be
inferior.
Bob Roller

Offline Daryl

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2021, 08:38:55 PM »
Yes- it is all about quality, Bob. I think these were what Thompson Center is/was selling.
Daryl

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2021, 10:46:54 PM »
A stick of green shellac (lapidary supplies) and a small stick will hold them fine.  Melt a dab of the shellac onto the end of the stick, and while it is still a bit molten, stick the flint into the shellac, flat side down.  Now you have  means of holding it, and you can diamond file it, use your grinder, however you want to flatten the top.
Now, two ways to get it off the stick and shellac:  You can stick it in the freezer for half an hour or so, then just tap on the flint.  Or  you can heat the shellac again and take the flint off..  If  you use the second method, have the next flint ready to stick into the hot shellac.
From the lapidary supply store, you can also get diamond wheels of various grits and use them to shape your flints.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline EC121

« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2021, 05:39:55 PM »
I clamped the flints in a wooden spring-type toothpick for grinding.  The end will get ground off and then you can clamp the flint in the groove.
Brice Stultz