Author Topic: Bucky  (Read 3424 times)

Offline Roger Fisher

Bucky
« on: September 08, 2009, 11:32:17 PM »

Not sure if this belongs here in 'shooting' since I dare not shoot this one for fear of bodily harm from my daughter in law since she pretty near hand feeds this one and others.... (I have warned her numerous times to stay away from the bucks in fall at least.  Since they get ornery then...)  If this belongs in over the fence feel free to move it....

This buck has been coming in here for the past 2 and I believe 3 years.  I really would not want to shoot this fella - too darn tame.

Odd thing about this rack is that he has points on points incl the hard to see right beam. Over fed I guess.

I can't rightly say if our point regulations are resulting in larger racks or not, since we are not seeing many at all in the 'deer woods' only in the back yards....  I would bet the farm that there are many y bucks shot and left to rot!
« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 02:15:18 AM by Roger Fisher »

Dave Marsh

Re: Bucky
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009, 01:27:48 AM »
Roger, nice one.  You getting better bucks in PA with the antler restrictions??  Big debate here in NY.

Offline alex e.

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2009, 02:43:03 AM »
PGC :-X :-X
Point restriction :-X :-X
Bigger bucks?? :-X :-X :-X ::)
Less Doe :'( :'(

Ask me how I really feel ;)

Delete if needed,kinda a sore spot.......................along with Fishers & Coyotes :(
Uva uvam videndo varia fit

Daryl

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2009, 12:11:27 AM »
Odd rack for sure, Roger - looking like a cross betwen a whitetail and muley.  Here, the highbreds have whitetail tails and muley antlers, or reverse.  In Alta, the tail distinguishes the species, while in BC, it's the antlers.  Here, since the identity is the antlers, I don't know how you'd distinguish a whitetail doe highbred as it would have a muley tail.

Offline alex e.

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2009, 12:22:16 AM »
Ive seen a few like that here in Pa.
mostly on larger deer,I have a rack somewhere around here that looks like a fallow deer,sort of flattend out,They might call that palmated??
Uva uvam videndo varia fit

ironwolf

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2009, 12:42:14 AM »
  I have a rack with palmate one one side and round tines on the other.  Knowing the area where it came from, I'd say it was aresult of poor genetics.  Back when he was harvested, the area was overloaded with does.  Things are much better now that we know more about management and nutrition and such.

And Roger, tell that gal not to go out on her moon time during the rut.  Down here we save bloody tampons all year in the freezer to take to the woods.  Drives ole' bucky nuts.

KW

Daryl

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2009, 03:32:06 AM »
KW - thanks for that picture! Tapons hanging from the trees - oh boy.

Offline Roger B

• You wouldn't have a snack, would you?
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2009, 09:38:04 PM »
Ok guys.  I'll go with doe estrous urine & any number of other things, but I'm stopping way short of used female hygiene devices.  And in the freezer?  What would happen if you got one mixed in with the cherry popcicles? 
Roger B.
Never underestimate the sheer destructive power of a minimally skilled, but highly motivated man with tools.

ironwolf

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2009, 01:04:48 PM »
  You do have to head your mother-in-law off at the freezer door sometimes.  And that's why the put strings on 'em  Daryl.   :D

Kevin