Author Topic: Gillespie rifle build question  (Read 1485 times)

Offline Ezra

Gillespie rifle build question
« on: November 03, 2021, 08:09:14 PM »
I’m still waiting for my Bobby Hoyt .42 caliber swamped barrel for this project, but I do have the butt plate and trigger guard from Dennis and a beautiful rock hard maple stock blank from our friend Alan Martin.  What I do not have (besides enough talent… ::)) is my flintlock yet.  What is the general consensus on most appropriate flintlock for a Gillespie?  I’m thinking late Ketland.

Thoughts?

Ez
"Rules are for the obedience of fools and guidance of wise men"

Offline J. Talbert

Re: Gillespie rifle build question
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2021, 01:50:12 AM »
That would be my choice, but I’m not that familiar with Gillespie’s per se.  I am a big fan of Chambers’ late Ketland, and it seems appropriate for a SMR.

What does Dennis recommend?

Jeff
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Offline davebozell

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2021, 02:23:58 AM »
I used a Late Ketland with a rounded tail for my Gillespie.

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2021, 04:00:30 AM »
Don Bruton used a Chambers Late Ketland for my Mathew Gillespie tribute rifle. Fast and dependable lock that is easy on flints. It would be my choice.
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2021, 04:13:17 AM »
I agree. Late Ketland from Chambers or a Kibler equivalent. Chambers is fast, easy on flints as Mike said, and right as rain as far as style goes.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2021, 01:58:45 PM »
I use late Ketland's but Goulcher locks are on a lot of Gillespies.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2021, 06:29:02 PM »
If you want to add to your building experience you could build your lock from one of Chris Hirsch's lock castings sets. He has a couple of castings sets that would be well suited for your build in flint and one in percussion that have rounded tails.
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2021, 12:51:54 AM »
Here is my Gillespie lock.  Rounded late Ketland lock from Jim Chambers with a double throated cock.

Offline Spalding

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2021, 12:58:42 AM »
David, very nice. I do have to ask who made that double throat cock?

Bob

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2021, 01:01:00 AM »
Here is my Gillespie lock.  Rounded late Ketland lock from Jim Chambers with a double throated cock.

That is a Ketland DT Cock that I used many of on my  version of a Ketland.I hope the molds for this lock can be saved and parts made from them.These and many others were owned by Jerry Devaudreuil in Ohio and he is now in a nursing home IF still alive with adult dementia.I talked to Liza Kindig and she said Jerry's affairs are being handled by a nephew.I have the numbers for these parts and hope she can get some parts or better yet the molds.If a frizzen breaks now I have no way to repair one of my Ketlands which is entirely different from the Chambers and Kibler versions which externally are nearly identical.I made a good number of my versions for
the "flint Hawken"makers and some for a German project and one for my own use to finish a salvaged project about 13 years ago.I don't think there were any cast internal parts made for this lock but I made my own as always so had no reason to ask about any.
Bob Roller

« Last Edit: November 05, 2021, 01:49:16 AM by Bob Roller »

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2021, 06:58:38 AM »

That is a Ketland DT Cock that I used many of on my  version of a Ketland.I hope the molds for this lock can be saved and parts made from them.These and many others were owned by Jerry Devaudreuil in Ohio and he is now in a nursing home IF still alive with adult dementia.I talked to Liza Kindig and she said Jerry's affairs are being handled by a nephew.I have the numbers for these parts and hope she can get some parts or better yet the molds.If a frizzen breaks now I have no way to repair one of my Ketlands which is entirely different from the Chambers and Kibler versions which externally are nearly identical.I made a good number of my versions for
the "flint Hawken"makers and some for a German project and one for my own use to finish a salvaged project about 13 years ago.I don't think there were any cast internal parts made for this lock but I made my own as always so had no reason to ask about any.
Bob Roller

Here is one of the last sets of trigger castings from Jerry.  Iwould really like to see these molds surface.  They are a great trigger.
David

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2021, 02:42:32 PM »
I am hoping Log Cabin can get all of Jerry's molds and add them to the R.E.Davis section of their business.
He owns(ed) the Chet Shoults lock which was with the exception of the sear spring, the first investment cast lock to be offered in the late 1950's.These moulds cost $5000 in 1956 when the project was started and were polished,milled cavity aluminum instead of epoxy or hard plastic.I recall hearing a prominent attorney in Ohio financed it.$5000 in 1956 would also buy a new Cadillac,Lincoln or Packard luxury car and in that time frame a flintlock was considered as an absurdity.A finished,polished,ready to install lock cost $35 in honest currency and for many that was a weeks pay after taxes.No one seems to know where that Ketland I made came from but a man here in this area had a smooth rifle that had one and it was plainly matked KETLAND on the plate and had the old style mechanism. made a few like this and then abandoned that idea and made my own linked mechanisms that worked and still do.
Bob Roller
« Last Edit: November 05, 2021, 03:04:05 PM by Bob Roller »